TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

^The key word would be "separately". They're attached to the restraint, so it's all checked at the same time. Splitting hairs, I admit.

For the record, the ops at Hershey aren't always bad. At worst, they're inconsistent. On most days Skyrush's trains are flying out at a pretty good clip. Although Great Bear seems to always be some level of awful lately, for some reason.

Went to the park yesterday for the first time in many many years, and i enjoyed it. Coasters were wonderful. Laff Trakk was awesome, one of my favorites at the park. It was also the longest wait i had all day. SkyRush was a favorite as well. The restraints on Storm Runner hurt but i managed through. All and all was a good day.

How awesome would Hershey be if they put those Maverick/I305 restraints on Storm Runner and Fahrenheit?

I thought that Hershey Park specifically asked Intamin to make a restrain where you have total free upper body movement, this enhances the thrill/scare factor a lot. So I think that, if they would have put the normal Intamin ots restraints, the ride would be a lot less thrilling, but probably a lot more comfortable. Which brings me to a question. Do the restrains on Skyrush tighten during the ride?

I for example, like to leave some space between my lap and the restraint ( to enhance the feeling of falling to your death during the first drop ). With most coasters the restraint stays in place, but some actually fall back against my lab (happens mostly after the first drop).

^ I am in the minority in that I have no problem with Skyrush's restraints. I can see how they could bother some people but I was fine with them. The OTSR's on Fahrenheit and Storm Runner (and Kingda Ka, etc) are what I'm talking about.

Do the restrains on Skyrush tighten during the ride? I for example, like to leave some space between my lap and the restraint ( to enhance the feeling of falling to your death during the first drop ). With most coasters the restraint stays in place, but some actually fall back against my lab (happens mostly after the first drop).

Yes, they do, typically at the bottom of the first drop due to the forces and how easily the restraints are pulled / pushed down. Also, if you leave too much space between your lap and the restraint in the station, the operator will push it down on you.

Do the restrains on Skyrush tighten during the ride? I for example, like to leave some space between my lap and the restraint ( to enhance the feeling of falling to your death during the first drop ). With most coasters the restraint stays in place, but some actually fall back against my lab (happens mostly after the first drop).

Yes, they do, typically at the bottom of the first drop due to the forces and how easily the restraints are pulled / pushed down. Also, if you leave too much space between your lap and the restraint in the station, the operator will push it down on you.

yeah most operator's do that if it's too visible. But how awesome would it be if the restraints stayed in there first position, you would feel like you're launched into heaven over those hills.

yeah most operator's do that if it's too visible. But how awesome would it be if the restraints stayed in there first position, you would feel like you're launched into heaven over those hills.

I was lucky enough to not get stapled on the last row of El Toro one ride last week. I left about two inches between the lap bar and my thighs, and my seat belt was fairly snug, but not squeezing me.

The first drop on El Toro is always riduculous in the last row, but this was so good it felt like it shouldn't be legal. Unfortunately the pullout stapled the lap bar immediately and it returned to "just" balls to the wall insane.

(I want to point out that I was in no way putting my self in danger or breaking park rules. The attendant still checked my restraints as usual, just didn't push down further as I've come to expect.) I actually overheard someone ask about stapling (I was sitting next to a guy in a group of three that were huge El Toro fans) and that attendant said there's no use because the ride staples you anyways.

You WOULD get launched into heaven over those hills. Any ride with airtime as strong as SR has restraints that lock you into a death grip because any wiggle room at all and you'd go flying. Have you been on Skyrush? You wouldn't just hit the restraint and then fall back to your seat, you'd slip right out.

How awesome would Hershey be if they put those Maverick/I305 restraints on Storm Runner and Fahrenheit?

NO THANK YOU. Maverick needed it because of all the twisting action, but I've never had a problem with neck chopping on either of Hershey's. And I really hate those heavy straps on your shoulders.

You WOULD get launched into heaven over those hills. Any ride with airtime as strong as SR has restraints that lock you into a death grip because any wiggle room at all and you'd go flying. Have you been on Skyrush? You wouldn't just hit the restraint and then fall back to your seat, you'd slip right out.

Skyrush is the only ride I've ever gotten off of and thanked the restraint out loud in the station with other people around. Yes, I am aware I looked like a psychopath.

I am tall and the restraints on Kingda Ka, Storm Runner and Fahrenheit jab into my shoulders and collarbones. I found the straps on Maverick to be light years more comfortable than the hard restraints on the aforementioned other 3. On Maverick I felt totally secure but totally free to ride with full, hands-up abandon.

I am tall and the restraints on Kingda Ka, Storm Runner and Fahrenheit jab into my shoulders and collarbones. I found the straps on Maverick to be light years more comfortable than the hard restraints on the aforementioned other 3. On Maverick I felt totally secure but totally free to ride with full, hands-up abandon.

Ditto. The hard shoulder restraints affect tall people a lot more than you may think. KK, Fahrenheit and Storm Runner come down tight on my shoulders. I still enjoy myself on each of those rides, but padded , looser restraints like Maverick / I305 would make them even better for me.

I can't say for other Intamins, but I know for a fact that Kingda Ka's flexible OTSR's were recently replaced with ones that are shorter; I used to have no problem with it, but now they really press into my shoulders and the pullup can be brutal. I really dislike the shorter restraints on them, and I hope the Intamins at HP don't get them. The new padded ones like on Maverick and I305 would be great on Stormrunner. They're a bit heavy and restrictive, but they're lightyears better than the flexible ones, and I was free to put my hands up on I305 (not that I could anyway ) where I first experienced them.

I'm not a tall person, and I pretty much always leave a day at an amusement park with marks on my shoulders from the OSTRs on rides. For me, since I'm not tall, I fall into the restraints with force on inversions, which probably adds to the impression they leave. Storm Runner in particular, I remember having this effect... though that doesn't detract too much from the awesome ride experience for me! That said, I would prefer something like the new Maverick restraints on that as well!

I was lucky enough to not get stapled on the last row of El Toro one ride last week. I left about two inches between the lap bar and my thighs, and my seat belt was fairly snug, but not squeezing me.

The first drop on El Toro is always riduculous in the last row, but this was so good it felt like it shouldn't be legal. Unfortunately the pullout stapled the lap bar immediately and it returned to "just" balls to the wall insane.

(I want to point out that I was in no way putting my self in danger or breaking park rules. The attendant still checked my restraints as usual, just didn't push down further as I've come to expect.) I actually overheard someone ask about stapling (I was sitting next to a guy in a group of three that were huge El Toro fans) and that attendant said there's no use because the ride staples you anyways.

I exactly had the same when I rode Goliath at Walibi last year. I had about 4 inches left between the lap bar and my thighs. Because of that, I had a ride out of this world those final bunny hills made me feel like i was riding a bull. I always thought that El Toro's restraint would stay in it's starting position, because the seats and restraints are similar to Intamin's hypers.

Unfortunately not, but i'm planning to visit DC somewhere next year. So thats why i'm just curious and because Hershey Park is on top of my bucket list withSF Gadv (didn't want to visit it 2 years ago, because Toro was out. (Intamin Cable struck again))

I wonder how the Gp feels about SR, seeing that even some enthusiasts find it a bit too extreme

Ditto. The hard shoulder restraints affect tall people a lot more than you may think. KK, Fahrenheit and Storm Runner come down tight on my shoulders. I still enjoy myself on each of those rides, but padded , looser restraints like Maverick / I305 would make them even better for me.

Isn't there some Ispeed clone in Turkey with lap bars? I think that, that would be an even greater improvement on the old restraints.

Isn't there some Ispeed clone in Turkey with lap bars? I think that, that would be an even greater improvement on the old restraints.

Yep, Intamin's been ditching the shoulder pads and going overhead lap bar only recently. Some coasters like Maverick and Intimidator 305 still need the harnesses though, to keep riders bodies in place through those lightning-fast transitions.

As much as I would be in favor of seeing lapbar-only trains on Storm Runner and Fahrenheit, I think I remember reading somewhere that the new trains are wider and would probably require some station work to allow them to be used. But if that's not actually a thing, I say go for it!

Hershey does have a history of making their coasters more comfortable (getting GCIs for Wildcat, new Premier trains for Trailblazer, the new Sidewinder and Sooperdooperlooper trains) so if the lapbar-only trains didn't happen eventually, I could totally see them going for I305/Maverick vest restraints for Fahrenheit and/or Storm Runner at some point.

I'm actually fine with the restraints on Fahrenheit and Storm Runner. They are both incredibly smooth rides (or at least when I rode them last year) and the restraints didn't bother me. However, SkyRush could use those new restraints pictured above. I'm not saying I didn't like the restraints on SkyRush as that is my #2 ride and I thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of the ride...it's just that the angle of the restraints are a little uncomfortable. These look like they don't lie on your legs but your actual waist. This would make SkyRush not only more comfortable, but even better than it already is.

Yep, Intamin's been ditching the shoulder pads and going overhead lap bar only recently. Some coasters like Maverick and Intimidator 305 still need the harnesses though, to keep riders bodies in place through those lightning-fast transitions.

I was under the impression Ispeed had a couple intense Maverick-like transitions as well. I could see these working on Maverick and the rides at Hershey, but definitely not on I305.

Skyrush though... the only reason I can imagine it DIDN'T get these restraints is Hershey told Intamin most of their guests tend to be bloated from eating so much chocolate and need the extra belly room.

^iSpeed has OTSR's, the coaster pictured is a new lsm one in Turkey

My mistake, someone said "Ispeed clone" which it's definitely not.

Looks to be more on the intensity level of Storm Runner.

No problem! I certainly would hope for the newer looking lap bars, not sure if it would work on Storm Runner with its laterals but never know. Fahrenheit they would certainly work on. Altogether there isn't really a need to change the restraints. SR is 11 years old and Fahrenheit is 7 so they've been fine!