TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

It's possible that one of the lift spikes released the train too early.

Premature Ejection of the train... this is BEGGING for a parody....

"Does your Vekoma Boomerang suffer from the heartbreak of Premature Ejection? Do your riders suffer a let down feeling because they didn't get a full ride? Are people headed over to your newer attractions in search of a better, more consistant thrill?"

Sunday Update time:

After the five sites were opened, things were looked at again- and some interesting messages began to pop out of the text- including different codes written in Dutch that translated into a short message about the ride itself.

1) The key to one hell of a ride is to take charge

and

2) A key change to one hell of a ride (which may have additional implications).

as possible translations from Dutch (Credit for both of those go to Tom Grady and Michelle Serviss)

Also, last night Donan Michael (From the last HP viral campaign- he now is part of Coaster Test Pilots...) was headed somewhere after a day at HersheyPark... and left something behind- letting the world know via FB.

Walter White has found the binders- and we're awaiting more information to figure out what's in there.

It's 8 days till rollout- exepct the clues to come faster, and certainly more puzzling this week...

I thought the reasoning for other Boomerang valley-ings was that the train was on its way back through the station and the brakes didn't engage, allowing it to roll a ways up the first spike and down with just enough momentum to make it into the cobra roll.

I thought the reasoning for other Boomerang valley-ings was that the train was on its way back through the station and the brakes didn't engage, allowing it to roll a ways up the first spike and down with just enough momentum to make it into the cobra roll.

That would cause it too.

I wouldn't expect lapbars on anything from Intamin ever again

Pardon me being uneducated, but why not? El Toro has a drop angled at 76 degrees and has lap bars.

The issue isn't whether or not the ride needs OTSRs - it's whether or not the seats need tall backrests.

Being in a near layed-back position puts strain on the back and neck on the way up, and being in a near diving position puts strain on the way down due to backwards acceleration - if the body isn't properly supported. The seats on Millennium Force have an extension to the backrest, and Intimidator 305's seats are standard looping ones.

I hope Intamin decides to use lap bars with a backrest extension like on Millennium Force.

^ I think that with all of the incidents that Intamin has had recently with the lap bar only train designs (even though none of the incidents were directly related to the design) I would think that Intamin would be very hesitant to put those some restraints on any new ride they build. Cheetah Hunt, I305, Desert race and Rita, ISpeed, Speedmonster, Kingda Ka and most everything else new from Intamin recently has the new over the shoulder lap bar style of restraints (the only exception being the Mega-Lites but none of those are in America). I realize that some of those examples are looping models, but I would still expect I305 style trains for their future hyper style coaster installations (In America at least).

El Toro's lap bar only train is a little bit different design than the Millennium Force and Dragster style lap bar only restrains.

Also if I were a park owner placing the order for a new Intamin coaster, and I had any knowledge at all of history those lap bar only trains have had, I would order the I305 style trains in a heartbeat. Even though it clearly wasn't the trains designs fault in most cases why put your parks reputation on the line that another incident like that might occur when the new style restraints likely significantly decrease the chances of something like that ever happening. I may be completly wrong but that's my theory.

And I love the older Intamin trains, but still think they are a thing of the past at this point.

^Yeah, I could see that, those look fairly similar to what is on El Toro now. It would be interesting to see if Intamin builds any new steel coaster trains with those restraints instead of the I305 style or if those restraints are only for retrofitting existing trains.

^ I think that with all of the incidents that Intamin has had recently with the lap bar only train designs (even though none of the incidents were directly related to the design) I would think that Intamin would be very hesitant to put those some restraints on any new ride they build. Cheetah Hunt, I305, Desert race and Rita, ISpeed, Speedmonster, Kingda Ka and most everything else new from Intamin recently has the new over the shoulder lap bar style of restraints (the only exception being the Mega-Lites but none of those are in America).

Formula Rossa opened late last year with only lapbars, granted that it doesn't really do anything extreme besides the launch though...

Yeah, I forgot about Formula Rossa, I wonder if that had to do with the fairly specialized custom trains?

I'm pretty sure that it had to do with the country that it's in. It's not in sue-happy America.

And for Attraction 2012, could we be seeing a first drop similar to Expedition Ge-Force?