TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 276: Penguin Trek construction update!

Great update! I have a couple questions though.

-Why is the ocean drained?

and because I just rode tatsu, why does manta have a zero car and tatsu does not?

The ocean was drained so the remaining work could be completed on it. It has since had its cement bottom and side walls poured. Also the waterfall structure is having the exterior completed now and is now brown in color. The pathway from Gulliver's to Smoky Creek Grill is expected to reopen today, so that means some great new photo ops beside the Pretzel and Station Area! Getting closer....

Stopped by the park this afternoon for about an hour and caught 7 cycles. The construction walls from under the first drop and all the way around the layout to the midcourse have been taken down. You can really get a great idea of everything now that these are gone.

This ride is going to be VERY photogenic. The landscaping and pathway work they have done under and around the ride is very, very nice. The pathway beween the pizza restaurant and the first drop is now open, but was barricaded off while I was there due to the testing.

They are beginning work on new footer rocks in the splashdown ocean, as well as beginning to place new rocks in the actual ocean. The waterfall entry rockwork is really coming along, as is the rock work on the station. I was told today that they were testing variable speeds on the lift hill. From my observations, the train is really booking it at the bottom of the pretzel loop.

Anyway, here are a few photos taken today from new angles that haven't been possible since testing began. Enjoy.

I took my mom and dad over to the Park for a few hours as well. I don't make it over to that side of the Park to often. WOW. I'm very, very impressed and pleased with how the first half of the ride has turned out as far as landscaping. Its absolutely beautiful and the ride really just graceful swoops throughout the entire area. Can't wait to see what the other side turns out....it already is looking fantastic. As you mentioned with the lift speeds, they are still also tweaking the block brake. Saw one test where about half the train started down the drop off of it when it came to a complete stop. Done on purpose, no doubt, but still interesting to watch. They did actually have all 3 trains on the course this evening as well before we left around 745.

I absolutely agree on the interaction with the surrounding area. It's so quiet, as well, so there is no intruding on the environment. It really feels like it's "supposed" to be there.

To go along with the new pictures I posted from today on the previous page, here's a short video I shot with my Blackberry Bold. The aim goes rogue a couple times because my camera was dying and was trying to get shots at the same time, but that side of the park provides a great view of the ride.

[coastertube]http://www.themeparkreview.com/coastertube/play.php?vid=VID_00011-20090329-1802_13er[/coastertube]

Those were some great photos! Some of the best I seen yet. The landscaping on that side looks beautiful. I haven't had the chance to walk on that side of the park in a while and I can't wait to see for myself in person.

Ride is coming along really well and the other half of the themeing is looking great already. Cannot wait to see more pictures during the coming weeks.

I'm still amazed at what my camera can pull off when I'm not behind the lens. Nice photo's... maybe one day I'll go over there and try to show you up

This is coming along great! I am really starting to wish I could be here on opening day to ride it, but I'll just have to check it out when I get back in the Fall.

That landscaping is also very nice, I'm going to be really interested to see how it turns out around the splashdown type area.

-Justin

This ride is turning out absolutely beautifully! I remember when construction first started, I was skeptical of how the massive dirt pit was going to turn into an area as nicely themed and landscaped as the rest of Sea World. Now I realize how wrong I was to be skeptical. This coaster looks like it has already been here for years! The landscaping is beautiful and will only get better as it matures. I'm excited for the next time I go to Orlando.