TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Could it be moved?

So I was sitting around thinking about "iconic" coasters and I was wondering what everyone else thought about this question: "Is there a coaster that could not be located somewhere else?" This can be for whatever reason, like the ride just loses it's character if it's moved.

I would have to say the Beast at KI would be a bad fit almost anywhere else than it is. You take the "back country" out of it and it just not the same. There are some coasters (Big Bad Wolf, Loch Ness, Tatsu) that are specifically designed for their geography so of course those wouldn't work very well anywhere else, but what about other coasters whose surroundings give them even more character, could they be moved?

I would say you could take rides like Kingda Ka, TTD, Magnum, Steel Force, Scream!, or many other rides and move them wherever and it wouldn't affect them at all.

So............?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Those GREAT German travalling coasters.

I hate it to see what became out of Thriller (Zonga) and Dreier Looping (Magnum Force). That are coaster capable of riding with at least 3 or 4 trains on busy fairs, which is very impressive.

But I also don't like it that Paramount moved Stealth out of PGA to Carowinds, and build a stupid waterpark in it's place.

I say if any of the coasters at Holiday World were moved to a parking lot, none of them would rank as high as they do... (Maybe Voyage...)

On the other hand, any of the coasters at SFKK could be moved and it would have zero effect on the ride.

Just my opinions...

Theoretically speaking of course, I think it would be incredibly difficult or maybe impossible to try and move one track of Dueling Dragons without damaging the other track. The supports and track are so tightly woven that it would be like picking apart a puzzle with large construction equipment.

I say if any of the coasters at Holiday World were moved to a parking lot, none of them would rank as high as they do... (Maybe Voyage...)

Move any of them to an identical geography, but not at HW and they would also move far down the rankings.

Batman: The Ride at SFGAM or WBMW-Madrid would lose some character since their current location(s) are so nicely landscaped/themed. The other B:TR clones are almost all built on asphalt, and they look nowhere as good as the B:TR at SFGAM or WBMW.

Of course any CP coaster would rank less because if it was mooved out of Ohio.

Terrain coasters would also be worse, because the terrain is a big part of the ride.

Screamin Eagle at SFSTL is great because of how it is tucked away in the forest. While it uses the terrain slightly, it would still be able to be moved to a different park, but it would be nowhere near as good as it currently is.

Mr. Freeze at SFSTL is also great because it is on the island in the middle of the rapids ride. Sure it doesn't interact with the location, but it is still a unique place to build a coaster.

Terrain coasters like The Beast and Phantom's Revenge would be very difficult to move. They can't just be plopped down on a flat parking lot, because they require a certain landscape and terrain. I guess theoretically they could be, if extra supports are added, but that would be too expensive and make the coaster look stupid. PR's lift height would be increased dramatically and the drop wouldn't be close to the ground at all. It would be like a real life RCT. So in short, if coaster like those two were ever in the way and needed moving, they'd probably just be scrapped, or burned in Beast's case.

But what about rides like El Toro, Raging Bull, Kumba, Alpengeist? Can you just take those and drop them in a different park and they are the same ride? I guess it's more of a case of does the surrounding terrain or environment add to the ride experience? I guess in the case of Scream! all you need is a large open parking lot and you have the same experience, but what if you placed it in some dense wooded area? Does it become a crazy, cool ride? I think we'd all agree that you can't take The Beast, Boulder Dash, Steel Phantom or any other "terrain-designed" coaster and move it, but what about other coasters?

I see what you are asking now, I slightly mis-read the original post.

I think a great example of that is Dominator. It's lift hill was literally on the edge of the lake and you had a great view of the other side while climbing it. Being in a generic spot at King's Dominion is going to take away from that old experience, but at the same time, create a new one. It all depends on where an "icon" coaster is moved, but in some cases, I think the new experience created is just as good (if not better) as (than) the old one.

It all depends on the person riding it too. I like thrills more than theming and would take Scream! over any Disney coaster, any day.

I would say you could take rides like Kingda Ka, TTD, Magnum, Steel Force, Scream!, or many other rides and move them wherever and it wouldn't affect them at all.

Are you serious? Magnum is a perfect example of exactly what you are talking about. Magnum would not be rated nearly as high 19 years after it opened had it been built in a field in Arkansas. The simple fact that it is located at "that park" has little to do with it.

You know, people who are avidly anti-CP are every bit as annoying as the "CP-fanboys" you talk so condescendingly about.

That said, I would have to say rides like MAGNUM, most of the coasters at Blackpool Pleasure Beach (since they're all so intertwined) and The Beast all fall under this category.

^ That's... exactly what I was getting at. Being at CP doesn't matter - it's the view of the lake, the wind rushing off the lake, and the proximity of the waterpark that makes Magnum truly something special. In a sense, I guess being at CP does matter... the simple geography of the place adds a lot to most of their coasters.

^ That's... exactly what I was getting at. Being at CP doesn't matter - it's the view of the lake, the wind rushing off the lake, and the proximity of the waterpark that makes Magnum truly something special. In a sense, I guess being at CP does matter... the simple geography of the place adds a lot to most of their coasters.

Ah, well in that case, I completely agree.

Also, I think Tornado from Sarkasndsnlkndsjk park in Sweden wouldn't be the same (based on what I've read) if that twist wasn't through that tunnel ("THE BEST element on a coaster ever!")

Any mine train ride from any park (especially from Six Flags parks) would have a tough time fitting into another park due to its track being conformed to the surrounding terrain. Thundernation, a mine train coaster in SILVER DOLLAR CITY is built from the side of a hill and would be impossible to be moved elsewhere.

And I should add some of the coasters in HERSHEYPARK can also be fit into that category, especially in one section of the park in which the SUPERDOOPERLOOPER, COAL CRACKER , and THE GREAT BEAR are intertwined with each other. Ditto goes to TRAILBLAZERS and STORM RUNNER.

As for my opinion, no coaster (once built) should need to be moved unless absolutely necessary.

"Welcome to Kings Dominion, Dominator - May your stay with us be a happy one!"

(at Geauga Lake) "Where have all the coasters gone?

"Is it true that HEAD SPIN may be coming to us next year?"

(still at Geauga Lake)"Please, no more. I can't take this!"

"Maybe we should get the Villain as well. It should make a great addition somewhere in Kings Dominion."

(while leaving the grounds once known as Geauga Lake)"Hey, happy guy at Kings Dominion, kiss my !!!