TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Magic Mountain Mark Shapiro Interview

Awesome interview!

It was really good to hear all of the positive things he had to say about Magic Mountain and Six Flags in general but I think that him saying that there is a five year plan in place is the best news.

Although at first I was skeptical of him, I now think that Shapiro is really going to turn Six flags around for the better.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great interview! When he started talking about future in terms of increased upkeep, I got the warm and fuzzies for a moment. It seems a little rare now a days to find people who actually take that into consideration, so he's got the right head on his shoulders in that aspect. But he sure did shirk Wes' question on park individuality. Unless I interpreted it wrong, the answer was "Which do you want, Dark Knight or the Tilt a Whirl?" which wasn't exactly the question. Ah well. Again, great interview. Vive la Tilt a Whirl!

They are saying all the right things. For 24 years I have stayed away from SFMM but because of your web site and what I'm seeing and hearing I got passes this year. Great work guys you make it fun and that's what this is all about. I would love to see them get Revolution back to it's former glory. Thanks again guys.

So based on the X2 track pictures, it looks likes a train was run through the circuit.

The new X2 trains couldn't possibly have been running yet, if you look at all the pictures its not completely assembled. But I'm sure it'll be secretly ridden many times before opening day...

I was more referring to the old X trains being sent through the circuit before sending the X2 trains through.

Any chance of a new woodie from Intamin, GCI, Gravity Group or something like that. I am getting kind of jealous because our best woodie is either ROAR, Ghostrider, or the Giant Dipper and I have only been on Ghostrider but it is very rough. I would love to see a woodie. Of course I would not mind a soinner because I have never been on one but anything made by the companies above mentioned or possibly B&M which is my favorite but there are aslready too many. Unless he is talking about a kiddie coaster than I could not see him adding possibly wiggles world, thomas town, and a new family dcoaster because SFMM is usuaully more of a thrill seaker park because there are like fifteen coasters there. Also Cyclones area would be an ideal place for a new woodie because if memory serves me correctly there is nothing major near it so I am praying for a new woodie.

Rob I know he said that he could give no major info. but did he give you anything at all such as manufacturer or location. Anyway either way this guy is looking to save six flags and give him a good reputation. I really hope magic mountain looks more like discovery kingdom than the other six flags parks.

PS WEs do you still want to close Magic Mountain snd turn it into a mall

CJ this is pretty cool Morton

What´s about the tunnel for X2 ? Did I miss something?

Yeah, Im still curious about that also. I remember Jay Thomas talking about it at the DVD Party, during the Q&A Presentation. I found the idea to be really cool, and was hoping something would become of it. Did he happen to say anything more in regards to the tunnels?

Any chance of a new woodie from Intamin, GCI, Gravity Group or something like that. I am getting kind of jealous because our best woodie is either ROAR, Ghostrider, or the Giant Dipper and I have only been on Ghostrider but it is very rough. I would love to see a woodie. Of course I would not mind a soinner because I have never been on one but anything made by the companies above mentioned or possibly B&M which is my favorite but there are aslready too many. Unless he is talking about a kiddie coaster than I could not see him adding possibly wiggles world, thomas town, and a new family dcoaster because SFMM is usuaully more of a thrill seaker park because there are like fifteen coasters there. Also Cyclones area would be an ideal place for a new woodie because if memory serves me correctly there is nothing major near it so I am praying for a new woodie.

Rob I know he said that he could give no major info. but did he give you anything at all such as manufacturer or location. Anyway either way this guy is looking to save six flags and give him a good reputation. I really hope magic mountain looks more like discovery kingdom than the other six flags parks.

CJ this is pretty cool Morton

Thats the thing, SFMM is trying to BECOME more of a family oriented Park, but still appeal to the "Thrill Seeking". At the DVD Party, Jay had mentioned he wanted to be on top of the coaster record again. Meaning, beat out Cedar Fair and have the park with the most coasters! So in regards to the new coaster, a new addition would be fantastic. We can hope for a new woodie, steel or really anything for that matter! Im just excited for a new addition in general...

Let me get this straight before I go any further....

I think that Shapiro is the perfect, perfect, man for the job right now. He is great, and I love everyone of his comments. He will bring a new day to MM, and SF in general. Now all we need to do is be hearalds for him. Get more people into the parks to get some cash flowing and payoff that debt....

That being said, it seemed like he was trying to sidestep some of the questions. I'm specifically referring to the question about the "clones" being a trend in the chain... I work in sales, too, and that is a very common tactic. I am not sure if he didn't want to answer, or if he prefers to keep future developments secret for the time being.

Anywho, Thanks Robb, for the great interview. It is certainly an exciting time to be a MM fan!

Great job what the interview Robb.

When the microphone was turned off did you convince him to put the Tilt-a-Whirl back in SFMM?

I'm glad common sense is prevailing in the understanding that is is better to have non-functional rides removed versus sitting there reminding people what could have been.

I hope you don't mind that I linked a path to TPR and your interview to Yahoo's stock message board for Six Flags.

I hope you don't mind that I linked a path to TPR and your interview to the Yahoo's stock message board for Six Flags.

Nah, that's fine. In fact, I encourage that!

Rob I know he said that he could give no major info. but did he give you anything at all such as manufacturer or location.

No.

--Robb

The 3 Point Challenge will probably be very popular. The one at Dorney always has a crowd and almost always has someone playing. At $5 a try and not many winners (if SF has a similar scoring system), it should be very profitable for them as well. Should be interesting to see if they use an awesome grand prize to try to get people to play like a Wii and also having a prize for the high score at the end of the season (at Dorney it was an IPod)

^ I agree. The 3 point challenge is probably the best amusement park game to come along in ages, if ever (nope, I have not played Fascination yet). I'm not big on spending several dollars to flip a rubber frog onto a lillipad, or shooting an overinflated basketball into a hoop the size of a coffee cup just for a stuffed Stewie from Family Guy.

The 3 point challenge I played at Cedar Point was probably the first game I've played in two decades! With the amount of teens coming to the parks, it's a no-brainer that it will go over well wherever it's installed. If it carries incentives for daily high score or seasonal high score, etc., it'll be a cashcow. It was definitely well worth the five bucks I spent. Even though the prize sucked and I gave it to a little kid watching, the bragging rights over your friends made up for it.

I hope you don't mind that I linked a path to TPR and your interview to the Yahoo's stock message board for Six Flags.

Nah, that's fine. In fact, I encourage that!

On that point, I added this thread to Digg.com as well. The direct link to the story is here. Hopefully, it won't kill the board like the last time a TPR thread was posted to Digg.

No I never wanted that. I wanted it closed and turned into a world class pavement megaplex!! I still think pavement is better than 10 of their coasters.

Which 10?

As someone who heard the interview way too many times while Robb was editing it, the one thing that did really annoy me was his 'answer' to Wes' question. He did totally sidestep it and give some mis-information. Evel Knieval (sp?) is for 8 - 12 year olds, but Dark Knight is 8 - 18??? I'm guessing he got this mixed up. Plus it seems like he didn't want to comment for some reason.

Other than that he does seem to have a really good fresh attitude, although calling Flashback terrible hurt a bit.

As for the SFMM getting a woodie, I asked this to one of the top guys the other day, the answer was sad but true. They love El Toro, want it, but if they put it in, too many people will confuse it with Psyclone. And the problem is, they are 100% correct. (I will keep pushing for it though!)

^ Especially if it went back in the area where Psyclone used to be.

People at Knott's don't realize that Riptide is a different ride from Hammerhead!

The question I was TRYING to ask Shapiro when he cut me off about the Tilt-A-Whirl wasn't about the ride specifically, but about taking out rides that families could experience together and putting in a midway game in it's place.

*I* get it that the park does need to get rid of some of these 'old and busted' rides and if they found an entertaining midway game that can also bring in some revenue for a future ride, I'm all for that. I was hoping he could present it in a way to better explain it to the masses which I think he finally did after the Tilt-A-Whirl rant.

No one previously had come out and said "Don't worry, we WILL replace those rides in due time, we have a plan..." and Shapiro finally did get around to saying that later in the interview.

--Robb

As someone who heard the interview way too many times while Robb was editing it, the one thing that did really annoy me was his 'answer' to Wes' question. He did totally sidestep it and give some mis-information. Evel Knieval (sp?) is for 8 - 12 year olds, but Dark Knight is 8 - 18??? I'm guessing he got this mixed up. Plus it seems like he didn't want to comment for some reason.

Agree completely. He totally shirked the question, which gave me some bad vibes on the future in that department. I can see, economically, how cloning a ride all over the place is less expensive overall and how multiple rides of the same time would work on the regional basis of which Six Flags is set. However, his answer was very slippery and he went right back to that Tilt a Whirl thing. That was the only part of the interview where I had the feeling of some bad juju.

I think he got the age demos flipped for Dark Knight and Evel Knievel, where Evel Knievel is the 8-18 and Dark Knight is the 8-12. But even that seemed weird. Those demos don't seem right to me, they're skewing way young and are too inclusive. That, to me, showed a little bit of the TV marketing side of him showing through.

I am excited about the 3-Point Challenge game. I worked the one they have at Knott's Berry Farm for the first summer it was there, and I can tell you it is a blast working it, if you have fun while doing. Guests loved it when I had fun, so hopefully the employees they have working it will enjoy it as much as I did.

Wiggles World in 2009 is kind of disappointing, mainly because I see it as a dying fad. Other than that, it seems like I have been very wrong about Shapiro.

As for the SFMM getting a woodie, I asked this to one of the top guys the other day, the answer was sad but true. They love El Toro, want it, but if they put it in, too many people will confuse it with Psyclone. And the problem is, they are 100% correct. (I will keep pushing for it though!)
Paint it, add a tunnel, and call it Psyclone 2.