TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Magic Mountain Mark Shapiro Interview

Based on the current Six Flags trends and SFMM's current ride collection, if a coaster is installed in 2009, I think it will probably be either a Tony Hawk Big Spin or The Dark Knight. The park could really use another family coaster that doesn't have the high height restrictions that the B&M's have. I think that I would prefer to have a Dark Knight installed just because SFDK is getting Tony Hawk this year.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A smaller coaster can be just a simple, fun ride. We don't always need record breaking or unique rides. Remember that just because another park has one, not a lot of people are going to know that and it will be "new" for them.

Eric

I'm not making excuses for him, but honestly, in my experience, that's the way ALOT of higher ups act in Q&A situations. You can ask a pretty clear question, and the question gets spun into something different, or deflected completely. In a perfect world, everyone would answer questions genuinely, but the corporate world doesn't function in the same dimension as everything else. With that taken into account, I thought Robb did a good job of getting good information out of him.

Agreed. While he definitely comes off a little arrogant, whenever you are dealing with the high ups of public companies, it is hard to get a straight answer.

Hey, I'm just glad the guys actually knows a good amount about what's going on at his company. I remember when I was working for Disney and I would have to give presentations to Eisner, the guy just came off like he had NO CLUE what was going on and presenting to him was a "courtesy."

Shapiro absolutely seemed to be more "with it" than that guy ever was!

--Robb

^And I think he was treating you the same way as well. A down with it guy that was like, look this is whats going on right now down to the details I can tell you, and the rest of the "secrets" are business. Its what keeps people attracted.

I'm not complaining one bit about the interview, it's awesome that the opportunity was had. I just wasn't surprised how he responded to some of the questions, its the way it goes, he's not obligated to answer anything he doesn't want to.

Personally I've never heard an interview more satisfying or straightforward than that. What more could you ask for!?

He said, he likes big drops. Personally I don´t like Goliath´s first drop, it´s not steep enough. Does that mean he want to build another Giga Coaster? Perhaps he likes to bring back the record for the fastest roller coaster in the world to six flags after the racecoaster in germany at the Nürburgring opens.

I really believe shapiro will put this park back on track (pun not intended). magic mountain is the perfect park for him to work on, to. it has a few coasters that no one likes, and that every coaster geek looks at and says "but it was such a good idea." if Shapiro can give some of the less liked coasters some TLC, magic mountain will actually deserve to be called the coaster capital of the world if they earn the crown back. I really like what Mark Shapiro plans to do with SFMM.

I listened to the interview about 5 minutes after Robb posted it the other night, but I just kind of wanted to see how the thread went before I posted something.

First I want to say, very nice job Robb. I appreciate the effort just as much as everyone else.

Next, it is very refreshing to hear a high ranking businessman not give cliche, generic answers in an attempt to dodge questions. Not only was Mr. Shapiro on point and informative, but he was extremely passionate. I really liked how passionate he was, it made me really respect the guy, and made me feel like the company is in good hands. Though I don't like the moves that Snyder is making with the Redskins, it seems he made a very good decision here. I am not going to say Shapiro is the ultimate saving grace of the organization as I still believe there is a lot more to fix not only on a park, but also an organizational level, but I have a lot of confidence after this short 10 minute audio clip.

Also, it takes time people! Things can't just be changed overnight. I am actually very impressed that Mr. Shapiro came in and made am impact this quickly. And notice his talk about 5 year plans. That is how a real business is run. Even though El Toro was kind of thrown together and planned kind of at the last minute by the old management, it actually turned out to be one of their better moves, though it is kind of lucky that it turned out that way. There won't be any of that last minute kind of nature with Mark Shapiro at the helm.

I would really like to know what will be done to really improve guest relations, and security. I did not go to a Six Flags park last year, but after a few of the things that I saw the year before, and the incidents that I was in at Great Adventure, I would really like to see a major improvement in terms of how guests are treated, and the safety of guests.

^^^Aqui

Y Aqui

The spots that have evacuation platforms (not in the second picture).

^There will be "elephant ears" or plastic if you will, over the x gear that moves up and down.

If that trains together my guess is they're already cycling it during the week to test it out.

I believe the trains will remain pretty much as you see them. Putting covers on them increases their weight, which defeats the purpose.

To me, they look just fine like that. Perhaps a black coating/anodize would look nice, too, and not add any weight.

Eric

The video Robb provided from the day he visited has Tim saying one thing very clearly:

"The train as you see it, is missing one piece of plastic that is not installed right now, and its what we call the elephant ear...so you can't get your hands into anything that might pinch them."

14 plastic covers make more or less the difference in weight of a lot of kids riding on one train, and a lot of big adults riding on another. Or a full train and a test run. They're in the center supported by the train, I don't think the weight of the covers really throws it off that much.

Jah-"I'm just going with what he said in the video"-ames

^ You are correct. It does make sense to cover any moving parts to prevent any unintended (or intended in some people's case) contact with them.

But the rest of the train isn't supposed to get kind of covering or trim just as a cosmetic thing.

Eric

^There will be "elephant ears" or plastic if you will, over the x gear that moves up and down.

Here's me being anal...

They aren't going to be "over the x gear that moves up and down"...the elephant ears are like a little wall in between the gear that moves up and down and the seats.

Everything will be bare like it is out on the transfer track in the above photos.

Does anyone know where X2's tunnel going to be?

I think that what PURE said would probably be the best bet. I recall reading somewhere that they could have up to four tunnels, but until it is announced I would think that where the evacuation platforms are would be the best place to put them. But I can't jump to any conclusion right now.

^Call me immature but..... HA HA you said anal! Okay now I'm done.