TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Wet N' Wild Orlando

I remember reading a few months ago on Screamscape about the future of Wet N' Wild Orlando. It seems that they could be closing next year or 2010. I was able to visit it this past summer and it was amazing and I really would hate to see this water park closed. Here's a link to the story on Screamscape:

http://www.screamscape.com/html/universal_orlando.htm

So has anyone heard anything new about this?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would LOVE to see this park close down, for them to do a HUGE rehab to it and make it an AMAZING Non Disney Water Park. In comparison to any of the Disney Water Parks, WNW is a flea market. Being that I work for Unviersal Orlando and we kind of speak on behalf of WNW sometimes it is VERY hard for me to recomend it to people with Flex tickets just because compared to Disney, I hate it. I think it needs a rehab and a better layout. I think this would be a great thing for International Drive.

I dought it will close down forever. It was the Worlds First Waterpark. As far as I know, it has been doing well the past few years.

Wet n Wild Las Vegas had been doing well and we all know how that turned out. If the landowner wont renew the lease, there's nothing the park can do about it.

As far as theming,yes you will never compare it to any Disney waterpark,but come on it's got great slides and how many waterparks can you go knee-skiing on a lake,you can't at Disney!!!There's been talk that if and when it closes that Universal will find a spot somewhere on their cramped property and make a waterpark with many or all of the slides on the current WnW.I'm sure if that ever happens it'll be very themed but you gotta question just how big could they make that park?I think the best that could happen is if they were to somehow buy the current property the park is at,shut it down for 6 months in the winter and spend some money on theming and trees.I would hate for that park to close,I mean if I want to ride summit plummet at BB I might have to wait in a 30 minute line,at WnW I go and ride Der Stuka and Bomb Bay 4 or 5 times in that 30 minutes.I visited WaterMania like the last summer it was there and yeah I was sad when I heard it closed but I knew that park couldn't compete with any others in the Orlando area,but I think WnW isn't in the Watermania category,does it need theming and trees yes,but everything else is there for a great park.

From what I gather, Screamscape is just echoing speculation, nothing definate.

While WnW is in what seems to be a good location near US/IOA, it may have a tough time competeing with Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, and now Aquatica. Not sure who the leader is of those three, but even though WnW has newer attractions like the bowl slides, with the others around, it kinda loses it's place as an overflow or alternative if the others are crowded. It also get's hurt some by a few of the hotels offering waterslides on their properties. Granted that last part is a small impact, but it's an impact just the same.

There's also that Nick hotel with the built-in water park concept, though you have to stay there to enjoy said waterpark. That could cut into business too.

Pulling this out of my bum, things look most questionable to grim for WnW given what's out there now and moving in over the next few years.

Naturally, this is just conjecture, and I could be totally wrong. Time will tell.

"NOOOOO! Say it ain't so, Joe!!!"

I've been to this park only a few times and I have always thought it was the greatest waterpark in Florida. Seeing this park closed would be a tragedy, not to mention a great loss for Orlando for the many fun attractions this park has.

I'm hoping that this report is only a rumor that won't come true, but I have been to some fun spots in Orlando in the past that are defunct today.

"Please stay open."

I hope it does not close down, in regards to theme, i think Universal should theme Wet N Wild to Music (something like hardrock, but for a water park). They already got Disco H2O. I think it would be a great to compete with the many different water parks in Florida. If everything is going well for them and they just put a new attraction, why should they close? If they close, what will replaced it?

If Universal has enough room to put a water park than that will be great. But I do not think it will happen

Unviersal does not own WNW. We work with the park but they do not own it.

I know nothing can compete with Disney and I honestly didnt think about Aquatica ( me and the roommates went to the job fair today and that was interesting) opening in March. Maybe I am just bitter twards WNW, I don't know. I just think it needs a good scrubbing and some organization. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

I also agree that WNW doesn't have the best scenery but they have some really good slides and the waiting time for a lot of them wasn't bad. I only went one time but I had a blast when I went. I really love Bomb Bay and I would definitely hate to see that go. Wouldn't that mean the only existing Bomb Bay would be in Las Vegas?

That would be the best if Universal could buy the park and add some themeing to it but somethings telling me that probably won't happen.

As for Aquatica, this is my first time hearing about it so I did a lil research to see what is was about and it looks very exciting! I might even have to visit this summer! lol But once again I don't think it would win me over on the "thrill" factor like WNW would. Seeing how close WNW and Aquatica are I say WNW needs to do something to keep some attention! lol

Unviersal does not own WNW. We work with the park but they do not own it.

I know nothing can compete with Disney and I honestly didnt think about Aquatica ( me and the roommates went to the job fair today and that was interesting) opening in March. Maybe I am just bitter twards WNW, I don't know. I just think it needs a good scrubbing and some organization. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Then why on the website does it say, "Universal Studios Recreation Group Inc." Seems like universal to me......

http://www.wetnwild.com/

Universal does own it, and if they were smart, they would close it down and move the newer slides to that BIG plot of land next to Royal Pacific Resort and across from IOA. Connect it to the other parks via water or land, and you have three parks where guests could spend a majority of their time.

Once Aquatica opens up just down the road from Wet and Wild, they will blow W&W out of the water, so to speak.

Just my opinion.

I just went through my training paperwork for GS at Universal ( which was printed in 5/2006) and it does say that Universal Orlando owns the land that WNW is on and they own the company that put the park up but they park is maintained and owned by Wet 'N Wild Inc. We partner with them like we do for Sea World and Busch Gardens for the Flex Tickets ( 4 park or 5 park depending on what you want to do) But it does say Universal Orlando does not directly own WNW.

I dont think they would close this place down, especially after just adding Brain Storm, I mean whats the point of getting a new ride, if you plan on closing down anyways, and if they do close down, I want to see that lake get filled, then they concrete it over, theme it amazingly, and put the rides back in, then bring back Der Stuka!

Is Der Stuka the speed slide with the trap door? I remember doing something like that in 1994, that was actually scary.

I guess it would be better if they could have it on the Universal Resort property, come down to cost versus benefit.

Universal owns WetnWild,but I don't think they own the land it's on as this is the problem,supposedly they lease the property and the value of the land is increasing so much that it's unlikely Universal will keep paying it and would rather move the park to their property.If nothing can get done on that site I hope they can build a nice waterpark,2 theme parks plus a waterpark onsite will definitely improve the property as a whole.Someone asked if Der Stuka is the speed slide with the trap door,it's not, it's the conventional one,next to it is Bomb Bay same exact slide with the trap door.Is this the only slide left of it's kind as the Las Vegas WetnWild closed??

^ Really?! I didn't know that the one in Las Vegas is closed. Thats ashame because it's really fun. So if this is true people on the west coast would literally have to go across country to ride this one slide... FEELS GOOD TO LIVE ON THE EAST COAST!!! lol

Universal owns WetnWild,but I don't think they own the land it's on as this is the problem,supposedly they lease the property and the value of the land is increasing so much that it's unlikely Universal will keep paying it and would rather move the park to their property.If nothing can get done on that site I hope they can build a nice waterpark,2 theme parks plus a waterpark onsite will definitely improve the property as a whole.Someone asked if Der Stuka is the speed slide with the trap door,it's not, it's the conventional one,next to it is Bomb Bay same exact slide with the trap door.Is this the only slide left of it's kind as the Las Vegas WetnWild closed??

I am in no way shape or form trying to start any sort of fight but Universal does NOT own Wet N Wild. They did own it from 1998-2003 but then they sold it. I have asked as many managers as I could get my hands on and I even called Universal and Wet n Wild and they all say that Universal does not own Wet N Wild. I found this on Screamscape too.

(8/2/07) Today we have to discuss the fate of Wet ‘n Wild. It’s been a few years since anyone talked about this, but the latest rumors claim that the end of the road for Wet ‘n Wild may be in sight. For those who need a little history lesson, I confirmed a few years back that the property under Wet ‘n Wild is actually not owned by the park or Universal, but was part of a land lease deal signed by the creators of Wet ‘n Wild back before it opened in 1977.

Even today no one really knows for sure just how long the term of the lease was for, but shortly after I uncovered that fact one of the local Orlando papers did their own research to contact the property owners who confirmed that there was little chance of them signing a deal to renew the lease due to the increased value of the property and it’s key location on I-Drive that could be put to better (and more profitable) uses. An older article in the Orlando Sentinel about Aquatica once mentions that the terms of their lease start to change in 2007 and the price is expected to rise through the roof by 2012.

The bottom line… Wet ‘n Wild is living on borrowed time. This has led many to speculate about when and if Universal Orlando may take the next step to build their own new water park on their own resort property. It’s also been noted that all of the “new attractions” added to the waterpark over the last few years have either been rehabs of older attractions (The lazy river, The Blast) or larger above ground attractions (Storm, Disco H2O, Brain Wash) that would be fairly simple to move to a new location when the time comes.

These days the rumor mill has picked up once again claiming that 2009 could very well be the last summer for Wet ‘n Wild. If this is true, then my best guess may be that Wet ‘n Wild signed a 35 year lease possibly as early as 1975 which could come to an end in 2010. Remember that the park will need time to remove their property from the site, so you can see where the 2009 closure idea may be coming from.

Keep in mind that other than the fact that there is a ticking clock… everything else is just speculation right now. For all we know the park may have another 10 years left on their lease… or they could already be in some kind of overtime extension where the fees grow higher and higher each additional year. If the end is near, I’m sure we’ll hear more about this very soon and Universal is likely to promote this fact to drive up attendance in the final season when they find themselves up against the new waterpark on the block, Aquatica.

From a Guest Services standpoint Wet N Wild team members do get into Universal/IOA with their TM Id's for free just like Sea World/Busch Gardens Employees because of the contract of the Flex Tickets. We do not sell WNW tickets and they dont sell Universal/IOA tickets but we all sell the Flex tickets because theyare a sharred revenue ticket. I don't know if I am explaining myself correctly but I hope this helps!!