TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

Jeez!

Do you people have glass bones and paper skin or what?!

A little pain is never bad on a coaster! Perfectly smooth coasters are so boring unless you can get a total genius like John Wardley to design them! (Nemesis, Oblivion, etc)

Regardless, coaster's shouldn't leave bruises when you aren't stapled.

I like it, it's my friends who mostly complain...

Hell, they hate Magnum because of the end hills and the thin bar which causes pain. I love it.

I think we're misusing the word rough as a substitute for intense. I would never call PR rough because I have never walked away from the ride in any pain, different than rough coasters like the former Villain at GL or Mantis at CP.

I like the gap wheel assemblies. It just adds to the intensity significantly. I doubt it will change because that would require some engineering on someones part and that requires more $, something KP doesn't usually toss around if they don't need to.

Regarding the paint.....meh, not too big of a deal for me. I mean it's paint. Plus it's not like KP is the only one that has coaster paint issues. Heck MF has violet track and TTD is all pastel colors.

Regardless, coaster's shouldn't leave bruises when you aren't stapled.

Agreed. Bruises are a sign of bad designing, which should have been ironed out by now!

But general roughness or boistrousness is all part of the fun!

And you bruise less if you go limp

I think we're misusing the word rough as a substitute for intense. I would never call PR rough because I have never walked away from the ride in any pain, different than rough coasters like the former Villain at GL or Mantis at CP.

I don't consider Mantis rough, but then again I'm a girl! Mean Streak is rough. I agree about PR. It's not rough, just intense.

^ Mantis being rough doesn't have anything to do with pain in *those* regions of the body. Most of the complaints about Mantis come from the ride's head-banging second half, and from those people who STILL don't know how to properly ride a stand-up coaster and position the seat too high. Mantis is a very intense, fun, smooth coaster... until the second half, IMO.

I have never been sore or bruised from Mantis. Apparently I know how to ride it properly! LOL! Maverick however has left plenty of bruises on my arms this summer. But that's only because I had my hands up the whole time. I do that on Mantis too. Phantom's Revenge was scary because the bar does not touch my legs and there is no bars to hold on to. I would not let go of the lap restraint! It was fun but I like CP's variety of coasters better.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE!!

I went to Kennywood again today to take some more pictures. Looks like they ran into an alignment problem with one of the spine saddles about a third of the way down the first drop, so now they're installing track in reverse until they can fix it.

Enjoy!

inyourface!.JPG.33a4423b2fcb61bc08ceeaface57842e.JPG

Does this clash enough to warrant repainting the lift? I didn't think so.

Emptycurvespot.JPG.739ac8661bfadc77ddb168f468c1a732.JPG

The future site of the Bayern Kurve is still empty.

Randomtrack1.JPG.f3a5e3c8af1863f09ed0605cbac38cc4.JPG

Some random track.

Pullout1.thumb.JPG.98c89aef1adf54be4d6dc43c2305dad7.JPG

A picture of the new pullout taken through a gap in one of the gates.

Firstdrop3.thumb.JPG.d570beb6b67ea4c9e32691b47dfc7b49.JPG

Another view of the first drop.

saddleproblem.JPG.44d6cc44aa248e77e80f64347b3fa1c2.JPG

You can clearly see where the misaligned saddle was.

Firstdrop2.JPG.7bcde55981d6881de7c863d54ddbbc4e.JPG

Why yes it is!

Firstdrop1.thumb.JPG.8c8c9be89dcc34a90eb1f3b98fe696bd.JPG

What's this I see? Could it be new, shiny Morgan track?

^defiantly agreed. Spine and saddle allignment is kinda important, we don't' want people to start going on about that stupid stupid stupid Final Destination 3 movie *grumbles about how stupid that movie was... wasting my money* But anyways, yeah Im hoping this little problem can quickly be resolved, Phantom is great, and it would be a shame to see it not open with the park.

I am glad to see the work that has been done, and it appears to be following essentially the same run. Though I'd have to say Im surprised they didn't take the old arrow supports out, and put in new Morgan supports..... But Im not the decision maker in that park.

I'm not understanding your reasoning for wanting them to add "Morgan" (does Morgan even exist anymore?) supports.

Morgan coasters do use trusswork; just like Arrow. I'm sure the trusswork on the Phantom does need regular maintenance, but I don't think it would be worth taking the old ones out and replacing them with expensive steel pillars. Plus, I don't think the first drop wouldn't look as pretty without them...

I agree with Kennyweird, if nothing is wrong with the supports, why replace them? waste of money right now. I personally like the supports on the rides first hill/ lift hill. I don't think the pillars would look right on the lift or first hill. I just hope the alignment of the new track compared to the old track is not a really big problem. As said, if the ride isn't open for opening day, this will be a big dissapointment.