TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

Really cool pics, but I really hope you got permission to go on the property to take those pictures. Those large barriers blocking the old K-Mart property weren't put there for nothing you know. If management sees these pics and knows you didn't have permission, I'm sure they won't be happy that you trespassed on private property. I took a few pictures a few weeks ago, but I didn't go on the property.

The supports are black. You can't see rust from any of those pictures unless they are of the green track that was on the coaster.

It is the light you see from the sun making it look like its rust.

I'm curious to see if the ride's gonna get any kind of paint job for the other parts of the coaster...I just think it's going to look weird with this new track having bright new paint and the rest of the coaster having 8-year-old faded paint. Pittfall got a paint job last year and I'm praying Phantom gets one this year, I think it really needs one right about now.

I'm guessing it was more for the wear/tear on the trains than anything... as you notice that the first drop into the second hill wasn't exactly "perfect" in the banking division.
Keep in mind who designed it.

After the original modifications, it was a mix of Arrow and Morgan track, I guess they want it to be all-Morgan now.

Along with the transformation of the original track to Morgan post-lift, hopefully they will invest in new wheel assemblies for the trains. The ride has a couple areas that kind of hurt due to the old Arrow chassis and their "Gap Wheel" assemblies.

Morgan uses the same basic wheel assembly design as Arrow, so changing the wheel Assembly on PR wouldn't help make the ejector hills near the end any less "painful".

I don't see how the last airtime hills are painful? All I'm saying is be careful what you wish for because Kennywood could end up being like every other park and relocate the trims to minimize the amount of airtime. So instead of it being a high speed hyper coaster it could end up being a really tall minetrain coaster.

Also, there's nothing wrong with having gaps between the wheels and rails because not only does it give that little extra pop of airtime, it aids the wheel assemblies to avoid "binding" which would destroy them. Besides, have any of you noticed how big the gap is between the wheels and rails on the Jackrabbit during its double-dip? Maybe that's a bad example because the Jackrabbit uses up-stop pads instead of up-stop wheels, but all I'm saying is the gaps help provide more airtime.

I'm glad they will finally change the track to make it all Moragan. It's too confusing: Is it an Arrow? Is it a Morgan? And the track looks a little different too. The drop will probably be smoother now, and maybe even more fun? Right now it just looks like a taller version of Viper @ SFMM's drop.

^Why bother? Most of the ride isn't readily visible anyway. As long as the first drop and second hill look good, I don't think Kennywood's going to spend money on a new paint job.

Uh, maybe because they're not replacing the lift and the lift paint is going to look crappy compared to the new track paint? Why half-ass something for the sake of saving a few bucks. It's not like the park is investing tons of money on any new attractions this year, they're bringing the Bayurn Kurve back for heaven's sakes. I'd like my #1 steel coaster to look good after the retracking, not half-assed, but that's just my personal opinion.

I'm glad they will finally change the track to make it all Moragan. It's too confusing: Is it an Arrow? Is it a Morgan? And the track looks a little different too. The drop will probably be smoother now, and maybe even more fun? Right now it just looks like a taller version of Viper @ SFMM's drop.

It's not going to be ALL Morgan actually. The brake run, station and lift are all still going to have Arrow track, so its still going to be an Arrow/Morgan hybrid.

Also, for the people who complain that the ride is rough, sit in the front. It doesn't matter where I sit when I ride this baby, I get a good enjoyable ride each and every time I ride her. There's definitely no need for new axis', trims or anything that. She is perfect just the way she is.

I don't see how the last airtime hills are painful?

Perhaps I should clarify. I personally don't think PR's ejector hills are painful, I was just using the word in the context of Coasterline's post.

Uh, maybe because they're not replacing the lift and the lift paint is going to look crappy compared to the new track paint?

I forgot about the lift.

You do have a point, they should at least repaint that.

Phantompaintscheme.JPG.eaa1c6fbdbba8bda948129e640dc8fcd.JPG

Old/New track comparison. I agree, the lift will look pretty crappy if they don't repaint it.