TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

• 4 weeks later...
Odd little tidbit, the original plans for that straight-away was that Morgan was going to put a bunny-hopper in there, but then it was scrapped, noting that the speed would be reduced, and KW didn't want that. Wonder if they're actually going to put this in after all, since the speed wars are pretty much over in this type of a coaster.

Just a thought.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. It would be pretty sweet to have that bunny hop in there. There's never too much airtime...

Well, I'm glad phantom is getting some care, but then again i don't think this was absolutely necessary from a rider standpoint when i rode it this summer. Maybe it was structural problems with the track, and rust or something. If not i think I'd rather see them save their money... or make more phantom air hills! hahah could you imagine that? Three major layout changes on one coaster. How awesome would that be?

Someone over at Kennywood Connection said they're replacing the old Arrow track because it's a maintenance headache. If you compare a section of Arrow track with a section of Morgan track, you'll see the Arrow track has something like 100 welds per segment, whereas the Morgan track is basically one solid piece. If you have 100 welds, that also means you have 100 potential failure points. Add that to the fact that the track is close to 20 years old, and you can see why Kennywood wants to replace it.

Someone over at Kennywood Connection said they're replacing the old Arrow track because it's a maintenance headache. If you compare a section of Arrow track with a section of Morgan track, you'll see the Arrow track has something like 100 welds per segment, whereas the Morgan track is basically one solid piece. If you have 100 welds, that also means you have 100 potential failure points. Add that to the fact that the track is close to 20 years old, and you can see why Kennywood wants to replace it.

if they're replacing the old track due to maintnence issues, and nothing more, that highly shoots down the possibility for any added elements or layout modifications.

but the good side is, Morgan track is very smooth, and the PR's first drop was already smooth, so it can only get better. Plus it'll look really nice

Odd little tidbit, the original plans for that straight-away was that Morgan was going to put a bunny-hopper in there, but then it was scrapped, noting that the speed would be reduced, and KW didn't want that.

I thought the original plan was for the ascent to the top of the second hill to be a double up. (But I could be wrong.)

Odd little tidbit, the original plans for that straight-away was that Morgan was going to put a bunny-hopper in there, but then it was scrapped, noting that the speed would be reduced, and KW didn't want that.

I thought the original plan was for the ascent to the top of the second hill to be a double up. (But I could be wrong.)

Actually, your description is more accurate. The bunny-hopper was to end higher than it started, flowing into the second hill. The design though would have pretty much eliminated the straight-away since it was a pretty big double-up.

Well, I'm glad phantom is getting some care, but then again i don't think this was absolutely necessary from a rider standpoint when i rode it this summer. Maybe it was structural problems with the track, and rust or something. If not i think I'd rather see them save their money... or make more phantom air hills! hahah could you imagine that? Three major layout changes on one coaster. How awesome would that be?

You have to take into account that this is steel we're talking about and steel is nowhere near immune to structural stress. This is the same track that has been used since 1991. That is almost 18 years of use and 18 years of stress being put on that one section. From the rider standpoint it might not seem like the ride needed it, but if Kennywood is spending the money to have this whole section of track replaced, they had to have had a very valid reason to do so. I'm sure the maintenance and the longevity of the ride were the two main reason behind the move. It's just to bad the park isn't taking advantage of this opportunity to enhance the ride even further, like adding that tunnel that never happened or even the bunny hop Morgan initially had planned for this coaster. The coaster could also use a fresh coat of paint and the station could definitely use A LOT of work. But I guess there's only so much you can do in one offseason.

• 2 weeks later...

The people over at Kennywood Connection are always looking for conspiracy involving the Parques Reunidos purchase. They just can't accept the fact that the two families let greed blind them and sold a park that has been in their possession for the past 100 years.

^I have to agree. Thats why I never post there. Everything is a conspiracy to destroy their lives or something. Not to mention, they never post any "hot" news.

P.S. They officially put the Bayern Kurve on the "New of 09" page at Kennywood.com.

^ I can't post there even if I wanted to. My account mysteriously disappeared a long time ago and I can't make a new one because my email is still in their system. Strange...

Well the amusement park business is just that; a business, and the management at Kennywood has changed many times in its 110 year history. Kennywood is evolving, like a good traditional park does.

P.S. They officially put the Bayern Kurve on the "New of 09" page at Kennywood.com.

This is not a repeat from prior years! *lol* How many times can that ride be new?!?

I liked it many moons ago when the ride-ops also DJ'd the ride.

• 3 weeks later...

I decided to go down to Kennywood today and see what's going on with Wipeout and the Phantom's Revenge for myself. While I was there, I took some pictures. Consider them a Christmas present of sorts.

Oh, in case you're wondering, the Phantom's track gauge is about 48.5 inches. (Yes, I did measure it, how nerdy of me. )

Edit: Sorry, moderators, I made the pictures a tad big.

merrychristmas.JPG.ee85fa27ab2a8dcc0124c60029889c27.JPG

Even Santa likes the Phantom's Revenge. Merry Christmas!

firstdrop2.JPG.88b05655dc3fec673a0f718ddbbd3513.JPG

Another view of the trackless first drop.

Oldtrack3.thumb.JPG.8e58447d428ffd473905550972c14dbb.JPG

^

oldtrack2.JPG.bd27f0a3d8356956feacb341c5eaaf6f.JPG

...which has been unceremoniously cut up with an acetylene torch.

oldtrack1.JPG.35caa910981f03633721c9bc43762bc8.JPG

The old, rusty, dejected Arrow track...

Secondhill.JPG.5abc919287faa3deb2fe957841f26bb1.JPG

They still need to remove the top of the second hill.

wipeout.JPG.0b3c08b7d2282c6985b102367b803af3.JPG

The Wipeout is all packed up and ready to leave Kennywood.

firstdrop1.JPG.2c118178463ba5689ac92b9003d3103e.JPG

The mounting brackets for the new track are in place.

Track3.JPG.e3cc947606f8cccbcdae395529f380ba.JPG

^

Track2.JPG.3bc6b6f628de152582f937731d42bbc6.JPG

The closest view of the new track to date!