TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

I went past the park today, but unfortunately I dont have any pics . But from what I could tell, the retracking is complete, unless they havent yet finished the straightaway (which I couldn't see from the road). Also, the main structure for the Bayern Kurve appears to be set up, so it doesnt look like it will be too long before thats finished.

BREAKING NEWS

Mary Lou Rosemeyer to Lose Kennywood PR Job

www.post-gazette.com/pg/09057/951714-55.stm

After 22 years at Kennywood, director of public relations Mary Lou Rosemeyer will be spending her last summer at the historic park in West Mifflin.

Her job is being phased out, and Ms. Rosemeyer said she will be working in a "lessened capacity" through Labor Day. Assistant Jeff Filicko will be handling day-to-day PR chores this year.

In February, park owner Parques Reunidos laid off 10 of the 110 employees who work year-round at three area amusement parks -- Idlewild Park in Ligonier, Kennywood Park in West Mifflin, and Sandcastle in West Mifflin.

Ms. Rosemeyer's job was not one of those cuts.

Kennywood spokesman Jeff Filicko said the job cuts were a cost-cutting move.

One of the slogans at Kennywood is "Make a New Memory." Ms. Rosemeyer said it would be "almost impossible" to pick her favorite, but said "probably my most satisfying professional accomplishment is pushing for stand-alone Education Days ... because after watching countless creative teachers make classroom work come alive here at the park, I was certain formal offerings could succeed."

-- Maria Sciullo

Comments?

I just thought I'd just remind everybody what they said last December:

"The Kennywood experience -- as visitors have come to love and expect -- will continue. Nothing will seem different, even to the folks working at the parks. Existing management and staff will remain in place," Harry Henninger, chairman of Kennywood Entertainment, said in the news release.

I think it's safe to assume that Parques Reunidos wasn't being 100% truthful with Kennywood about the sale conditions. At any rate, let's hope this is the last of the broken promises.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Kinda sucks Rosemeyer will be gone, but she's had a great history with the park, and will always be remembered. You gotta accept change sometimes.

As long as they aren't turning the Potato Patch into a taco stand and start having Spanish quartets wandering the park, I'm not really worried about the new KP ownership

As for the new PR track.... AWESOME!!!

Well the stage/dive/lumberjack show are has been cleared, and they took down the old Skycoaster/Paddle Boat ticket building. A bigger one is being built to also include the new Jack Rabbit on-ride photos.

I'm very excited to ride the Phantom again with its new first drop. I always thought the first drop was rather smooth as it was, so now it should be even better! If only May could get here quicker....

Also, I'm glad to see the Kurve come back to Kennywood, as it has always been a favorite of mine. I never cared for Wipeout either, so the fact that the Kurve is replacing that is like a double bonus!

• 2 weeks later...
(does Morgan even exist anymore?)

Chance Morgan is actually just 8 miles away from where I live.

Why is it that we have an amusement ride manufacturer in Kansas, but not an amusement park?!?! The building looks pretty big too. They used to test rides outside a lot, but it looks like they don't do that whole lot anymore- if at all. It's pretty much done inside now, so I've heard.

Why was the Bayern Curve removed anyway? They put it right back in its original place. Why can't they also bring back the Rotor and stick it up on that little hill where it once stood. I believe the pathwyas are still there for the entrance/exit lines.

• 2 weeks later...

The Gold Rusher has been on ebay for a week now. I really hope someone buys the track and cars. Someone could design and build a new dark ride from it. To bad the current owner has run into some trouble. Speaking of dark rides, check out laffinthedark.com for a great article on Bill Tracy who designed many famous dark rides. He designed Kennywood's Safari, Ghost Ship, & Le Cachot. Tracy also designed many other rides at other parks. Check it out! By chance, is anyone heading out to Kennywood for opening day. Just wondering if anyone in this topic is planning on going besides myself. Does anyone know if opening day is ever crowded? Also note, The Whip has a new paint scheme/ logo and the train will have new themeing apprently about Kennywood's history along with retracking the Phantom and the return of the Kurve.

^Ive gone every year on Opening day for the past 10 years, its typically a little more crowded than normal, but not too much. If at all, the lines are only another 10-15 minutes for the most popular rides. The only one you usually have to wait a really long time for is the Exterminator, and the Phantom line might go down the ramp to where the switchbacks are, but the switchbacks are barely ever used unless its Fright Nights.

I went to KW last year & had a blast even though it rained most of the day. The Jack Rabbit was definitely my favorite coaster in the park. I was surprised with the amount of airtime you get on the double drop at the end & I ended up riding it 5x I don't think I can get there this year because of work & TPR's West Coast trip! Are they doing anything to the trains of Phantom's Revenge or just the re-tracking?

(does Morgan even exist anymore?)

Chance Morgan is actually just 8 miles away from where I live.

Why is it that we have an amusement ride manufacturer in Kansas, but not an amusement park?!?! The building looks pretty big too. They used to test rides outside a lot, but it looks like they don't do that whole lot anymore- if at all. It's pretty much done inside now, so I've heard.

Look at B&M- the entire country of Switzerland doesn't have a single large coaster- just a kiddie, a wild-cat, two self-operated coasters, and an Alpine Slide.