TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

Meh, it seems a little slow IMO. That being said I have never ridden, but the second half does not look very good to me. THat beins said the first half looks awesome. Also, their may be some awesome airtime off the MCBR in the back!

The copper fins on the mid-course trim are going to be adjusted. I heard some may be removed because it shouldn't lose that much speed going through this area. When I was leaving the park today there were workers up on a manlift looking at the fins, so many some of them ended up being removed. Guess we'll find out whenever the next round of testing begins.

Wow, those trains are hideous...they're pretty much glorified boxes.

They look like somebody put PTCs on a Premeir. You decide if thats good or bad . . .

The ride looks pretty great, definitely worth a trip back out to Kennywood. Maybe this was already discussed, but will it always trim that hard in the mid-course? The trims at the top of the hill looked pretty light, but it looked like it wasn't going to make it out of the mid-course.

I'd say bad...it just looks really cheap. The ride looks awesome though.

I'd say bad...it just looks really cheap. The ride looks awesome though.

To be honest, i like these new "Box" trains better, They look more classic, which fits the theme kennywood really has going with all it's coasters

Sky rocket literally looks like they took one of those crazy coaster models, blew it up to full size, and plunked it down in kennywood, and i really like that

I don't like this ride. There's not even a real top hat. The curve into the corkscrew is amusing. Just like Blue Fire it looks like a nice followup to Maverick. Afterwards the ride is wild mouse ridiculously simple. Please move this ride to Lake Compounce in two years and put in a terrain B&M invert that should really be there.

I don't like this ride. There's not even a real top hat. The curve into the corkscrew is amusing. Just like Blue Fire it looks like a nice followup to Maverick. Afterwards the ride is wild mouse ridiculously simple. Please move this ride to Lake Compounce in two years and put in a terrain B&M invert that should really be there.

You haven't even ridden it yet.. non of us have. But if judging a book by its cover is your thing then go right ahead, keeps the line shorter.

because it appears the airitme in the back row would currently be really strong, bordering on painful.

More like HOLY SH*T!!!!! I think this thing looks awesome and it fits KW very nicely, although the trains do look a little too odd for my taste, but I will let time and a ride on them be the judge......

I think most coaster enthusiasts prefer the ride quality over its appearance. The Storm Runner at Hershey Park; for example, has some of the oddest looking inversions, but it rides incredibly smooth. I think the design of these trains make for a higher center of gravity which allows for an intensified ride experience.

The point being, don't judge this ride by the way it looks. I know I said in post awhile back that the trains actually looked a little small for someone tall like me, but the seats might be bigger than what I thought and that illusion led me to believe they were small.

The point being, don't judge this ride by the way it looks. I know I said in post awhile back that the trains actually looked a little small for someone tall like me, but the seats might be bigger than what I thought and that illusion led me to believe they were small.

LOL, no it's not an illusion at all...the seats really are small especially the back row. If you're tall, you'll probably have to stick to the first row of one of the cars because the back is really tight and the front has the most room of any of the rows. I think tall people and overweight people may have some problems with these trains.

Um yeah you have no way of knowing that for sure.

According to the time frame we knew about how the ride could open after two weeks of testing, we may very well see Sky Rocket up and running by Coaster Con. We already know that it can safely complete a circuit. Now all that's left is a tweaking of the launch programming and trim breaks to get this ride running at its best.

According to the time frame we knew about how the ride could open after two weeks of testing, we may very well see Sky Rocket up and running by Coaster Con. We already know that it can safely complete a circuit. Now all that's left is a tweaking of the launch programming and trim breaks to get this ride running at its best.

Yes I do have a way of knowing that for sure, and it WILL NOT be open for Coaster Con. While they have sent the train around a handful of times, there's still a lot of adjustments that need to be done before the coaster opens to the public. But I do just love how you think that you know all that needs to be done to a coaster before it can open to the public. It's a lot more than just tweaking the launch programming and adjusting the trim breaks.

Also, you fail to realize that the queue line isn't even done nor is any of the exit ramp other than the footers, and the two staircases for the station and brake run still need to be installed as well. If you think all this done is going to be done before Sunday, you're crazy. And if you think Kennywood is going to open the ride earlier when all this stuff (especially testing) isn't done just so a bunch of coaster enthusiasts can ride it, you're even crazier. Kennywood is all about safety and if you really think they're going to only do less than two weeks of testing just so ACE can ride, you're going to be very disappointed come June 20th.

From one Pittsburgher to several bickering Pittsburghers all I have to say is.......GO STEELERS!!

I also highly doubt that it will be open by this upcoming weekend, but I'm not an expert on anything at all either. I'm just basing my worthless opinion on what the site looked like when I was there on Saturday.

Yes I do have a way of knowing that for sure, and it WILL NOT be open for Coaster Con. While they have sent the train around a handful of times, there's still a lot of adjustments that need to be done before the coaster opens to the public. But I do just love how you think that you know all that needs to be done to a coaster before it can open to the public. It's a lot more than just tweaking the launch programming and adjusting the trim breaks.

Also, you fail to realize that the queue line isn't even done nor is any of the exit ramp other than the footers, and the two staircases for the station and brake run still need to be installed as well. If you think all this done is going to be done before Sunday, you're crazy. And if you think Kennywood is going to open the ride earlier when all this stuff (especially testing) isn't done just so a bunch of coaster enthusiasts can ride it, you're even crazier. Kennywood is all about safety and if you really think they're going to only do less than two weeks of testing just so ACE can ride, you're going to be very disappointed come June 20th.

And how long do you think it takes to install a couple prefabricated staircases and a Que? I would say 3days and i have been in the business for 25yrs. As far as the testing goes unless you live in the park how do you know they havent been running it at night? Coaster con runs at Kennywood until the 23rd and they could have the ride open if they have everything scheduled right.

Does anyone know if the second car for the second train has even come in yet?

If all goes as planned, the second car should be delivered on Wednesday. This is yet another reason why the coaster won't be open for Coaster Con, this train will also need to complete a certain number of test runs before it can be used for the public. I really don't think the park is planning on opening this coaster to the public with only one train.

And how long do you think it takes to install a couple prefabricated staircases and a Que? I would say 3days and i have been in the business for 25yrs. As far as the testing goes unless you live in the park how do you know they havent been running it at night? Coaster con runs at Kennywood until the 23rd and they could have the ride open if they have everything scheduled right.

While the spiral staircases for the brake run and the station may be prefabricated (I don't know for sure as I don't think they have been delivered yet) the handicap ramp most certainly isn't. The only work that has been done on this so far is the foundation for the ramp so I would say it's going to be another week or so before this is finished as it is a lot bigger than the other staircase that has been built and that took about a week to install. Also, the park HAS NOT been testing at night as the people who are doing the testing right now are the workers for Premier. They ceased testing around 5:00 o'clock yesterday and this has been the case almost every day so far. Also, only a handful of FULL tests have even been completed so far as most of them have been rollback tests. I would assume that from here on out only full tests will be done, but that might change once the new car comes in. Once again, I wouldn't hope on Sky Rocket being open by next week.