TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

Has anyone got the VIP Coaster Pass? I was reading about it, and I'm gonna buy one when I go to Kennywood in two weeks. Any recommendations, whether I should or shouldn't, which one I should get. Just message me.

Personally I don't think they are needed, though the price is not too bad. I went on July 4th. Crowds were fairly heavy, although not quite as bad as I expected for the holiday. I got there just after open and got on every coaster twice, except Exterminator and Sky Rocket which I only rode once each, and rode several other rides as well. Ended up leaving by about 5. If you get there at open you should be fine as far as getting on everything you want.

Has anyone got the VIP Coaster Pass? I was reading about it, and I'm gonna buy one when I go to Kennywood in two weeks. Any recommendations, whether I should or shouldn't, which one I should get. Just message me.

In my opinion, Kennywood's lines never get that bad where some sort of "skip the line pass" is needed, but that's just me. Even with a 100% completely full queue, Sky Rocket has only a 45-60 min wait...barring any problems. If you don't mind doing some searching, I believe someone posted a photo trip report not too long ago where they got one of those passes, perhaps that might help.

I rode it again today, and although my opinion of Skyrocket has cooled somewhat, I still love it. At first I didn't mind the surf curves even though they are pretty weak force-wise, I just considered them some sort of cool down from the unusual stuff (ejector air in the inversions) earlier in the ride. Now, I'm thinking (more like hoping and wishing...to no avail I'm sure) that KW will redo that section of the ride. It really is a buzz kill, but nothing's perfect...

Rocket's Revenge, anyone?

I've been going to Kennywood my entire life and own a season pass to the park. At the risk of looking like a tourist I still take pictures of everything in the park every once in a while. Don't worry about it. Amusement parks are one of the coolest places to take photos, and I'm not just saying that from an enthusiast's point of view. Just take pictures and, above all, have fun!

This isn't what you to want to hear, but I'm assuming you mean August 10th? If so, by looking at the events calender, expect above average to possibly fairly heavy crowds. The 10th is the first day of Fall Fantasy, where school districts come to the park all day and have a parade through the park at dusk. It's going to depend on what schools are there (the website doesn't say, but certain school districts equal heavy crowds, while others just equal above average), but it's still definitely going to be more than normal regardless. Also, you might get some relief later after they start leaving (meaning like after 8 or 9), but it's not guaranteed.

On a positive side, Kennywood's rides/coasters still don't have terribly bad waits even with full queues, and there is always the VIP Coaster Tour if you need it. I know Sky Rocket's wait is only about 45-60 minutes with a full queue (depending on how fast the crew is), both Jack Rabbit and Racer aren't bad, and I'd suggest either riding Phantom first thing or waiting until 2 trains are on before riding, because with one train op even what may look like a small line could be 45 minutes. I'd also suggest riding Exterminator first thing immediately after Phantom if you get there when the park opens, as that is one queue that's not fun to wait in when full.

Good luck.

This isn't what you to want to hear, but I'm assuming you mean August 10th? If so, by looking at the events calender, expect above average to possibly fairly heavy crowds. The 10th is the first day of Fall Fantasy, where school districts come to the park all day and have a parade through the park at dusk. It's going to depend on what schools are there (the website doesn't say, but certain school districts equal heavy crowds, while others just equal above average), but it's still definitely going to be more than normal regardless. Also, you might get some relief later after they start leaving (meaning like after 8 or 9), but it's not guaranteed.

On a positive side, Kennywood's rides/coasters still don't have terribly bad waits even with full queues, and there is always the VIP Coaster Tour if you need it. I know Sky Rocket's wait is only about 45-60 minutes with a full queue (depending on how fast the crew is), both Jack Rabbit and Racer aren't bad, and I'd suggest either riding Phantom first thing or waiting until 2 trains are on before riding, because with one train op even what may look like a small line could be 45 minutes. I'd also suggest riding Exterminator first thing immediately after Phantom if you get there when the park opens, as that is one queue that's not fun to wait in when full.

Good luck.

Thank you very much! Any idea on how crowds on the ninth will be?

It says the 9th is cheerleading day. I know I was there once on that day a few years ago, but I really don't remember how the crowds were. I would assume that they aren't as bad as Fall Fantasy. If it were me going, I'd choose the 9th because I know how rough Fall Fantasy days can be, but here's the description on their website and you can be the judge:

Once a year, the SkyCoaster stops flying and Cheerleaders take over the Lagoon Stage. Squads are invited to compete for the coveted Kennywood Cheerleading Arrows! Even our guests are welcome to enjoy this exciting tradition…cheering, chanting, dancing, music, pom pons and lots of energy!

The event begins at 11:00 AM, with approximately 50 cheerleading squads competing. National Federation rules apply. Divisions include: Jr. High Non-Mount, Jr. High Mount, Junior Varsity Non-Mount, Junior Varsity Mount, Small Varsity Non-Mount, Small Varsity Mount, Medium Varsity Non-Mount, Medium Varsity Mount, Large Varsity Non-Mount, and Large Varsity Mount.

Source

And go here for the list of events.

^ If you're creepy I'd definitely choose the cheerleading day...

In all seriousness, last year we ended up visiting on the cheerleading day, and the crowds weren't that bad except around the lake area where the stage is. I think the 9th is a better bet than the 10th.

My six year old will love the cheerleaders, and I'll love shorter lines, if King's Island cooperates on sunday, I will rock Kennywood on the ninth.

• 2 weeks later...

Kennywood Trip Report

August 12th:

Yesterday, my Kennywood trip of the summer was a great success. Rode every coaster, and my first rides on the Skycoaster, and the infamous Sky Rocket. It rained off and on all day until about 6, then it finally stopped. None of the lines were long, Sky Rocket was only 45 minutes at the most, and that was after it broke down. Cosmic Chaos was the only ride closed all day. Sorry, no photos. My camera died at like 12:00.

Coasters (in order of rating):

Lil' Phantom 4/10:

First ride in a long time. This ride gives quite a jerk. You shoot right out of the station, and after a couple of hills, you're back in the station. Not bad, for Kiddieland.

Racer 5.5/10:

This is a nice ride. The right side almost always wins, if you didn't know. Keeps a nice, constant speed, and high-fiving is guaranteed. Short line all day.

Jack Rabbit 6.5/10:

Not much to this ride. Basically walked on to this ride. The only stand-out is the double-dip. The camera caught me off guard, and I was teased all day for it.

Thunderbolt 7.5/10:

My favorite woodie of all-time, but don't trust my opinion cause I've only been to 3 parks. Falling right out of the station is great, they really take advantage of the ravines. I could deal without getting squished by my riding partner. Sometimes, I wish I wasn't 5'9". Still, no complaints

Phantom's Revenge 8.5/10:

This ride is such a great, underlooked ride. It goes so fast, and the bunny hills are amazing in the back and front. This was the first time I rode front car on the Phantom. Like my friend said, "It changes the way you look at life."

Sky Rocket 9/10:

I fell in love with this ride. Everyone says it's to weak, or it's too slow. Going 0-50 in 3 seconds is amazing, and the first hill is great too. I love the barrel roll and corkscrew. The on-ride camera is in the oddest spot, but I didn't expect it. I could ride that over and over all day.

Best ride of the day: Skycoaster!

If you haven't been in a plane, want to fly, and have 30 bucks, then you need to go to Kennywood and ride the Skycoaster. The descent up is breath taking. Once you're at the top, you're like frozen. I didn't want to move, but I had to pull the cord. The attendant says 3,2,1 Fly! And then you're off! The first drop feels like a freefall, I thought the string broke, and we were just falling, but the you fly over the racer. Once you're back on ground, you have to sit down, or you might fall down on a count of weak knees.

I bought 2 VIP Coaster Passes for $5 for the Phantom's Revenge and Exterminator. We waited about 2 minutes for the Phantom, and we walked on the Exterminator. We were there for 11 in the morning to 10 at night. It was my best Kennywood trip to date.

Ride Count:

Sky Rocket x2

Garfield's Nightmare x1

Jack Rabbit x1

Paratrooper x1

Racer x1

Skycoaster x1

Aero 360 x2

Lil' Phantom x1

S.S. Kenny x1

Auto Race x1

Ghostwood Estate x1

Thunderbolt x1

Turtle x1

Pitt Fall x1

Exterminator x1

Whip x1

Pittsburgh Plunge x1

Wave Swinger x1

Swing Shot x1

Phantom's Revenge x2

Musik Express x1

Volcano x1

Edited by jausaron09

Man Rides Kennywood Rollercoaster 4000 Times

WEST MIFFLIN, Pa. -- You can call him "Mr. 4000."

Vic Kleman celebrated the Jack Rabbit rollercoaster's 90th anniversary at Kennywood with a milestone of his own.

Kleman Road the rollercoaster 90 times on Sunday. Added to his lifetime career, this makes 4000 total rides on that park attraction since he started counting in 1959.

He is a member of the American Coaster Enthusiasts, and he took his 3000th ride on the coaster in 1998.

Kelman said the rides made it easy to deal with the hot weather.

"Today was great. When we started, everyone was saying 'boy is it hot', but with the breeze from the coaster, I was fine."

http://www.wpxi.com/news/24640461/detail.html

• 2 weeks later...

Until I get some trip reports posted, I figured I would come here and at least post my thoughts on Sky Rocket. I've ridden Sky Rocket 4 times, and I will say that I flat-out LOVE it!! The first half is just full of intensity and killer airtime, and I thought the holding brake on the big hill was awesome. The launch was plenty powerful without being white-knuckle intense, and the inversions were absolutely perfect. I had never experienced such strong airtime during inversions before. That was unique and certainly very thrilling. The surf curves, to me anyway, were a nice little breather before the last 2 strong pops of air that you get on the final hops. When I hit the brakes, I feel like I've enjoyed a truly complete coaster experience, and I'm eager to ride again!

After first riding, I could easily say that Sky Rocket was the BEST coaster with inversions I had ridden to date. (it turned out that it was only slightly edged out by Griffon a few weeks later when we went on vacation, but that's another story) It really is a ton of fun to ride, and I think one of its biggest assets is how smooth and re-ridable it is. I really do think that Sky Rocket is the sleeper hit of the new 2010 coasters!

I really want to THANK Kennywood for putting this coaster in. It is a perfect fit for the park, and it is exactly what they needed to round out their awesome collection, in my humblest opinion. If the price tag with Premier was as low as it has been rumored, then I applaud them even more, as they got an unbelievable amount packed into that relatively small coaster footprint. Color this coaster (and Kennywood) enthusiast all sorts of thrilled!!

• 3 months later...

I did not get to ride Phantoms Revenge the first few years after its transformation. Even though this was my home park at the time, I did not go there for a few years.

Does anyone know if they ever installed the double-up on the second hill from the concept art? If so, was this removed for some reason. However, I guess this also could just be a bad drawing and there never was a double up intended.

You can see this on the second hill in the following:

phantomsrevengeart2.jpg.49e80c4e09681afd0bd11015e299273b.jpg

Initially it was proposed to install a double dip on the 2nd hill going up, but however rather than re-profiling that hill, they decided to save cost and keep the entire upside of that hill intact, and install the double-dip at the end of the ride instead. There was also some concern whether adding the double-up on the second hill would reduce too much speed from the train, and cause it to crawl, if not valley due to changing the hill.

Edited by CoasterLine