TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

We could always go back to the snow...I think everyone around here is tired of it!

But if you look at the above picture, you'll see the outline of a building on the wall to the right of the tunnel. That was the last remaining of the original ticket booths (they stopped using tickets in 2005). Now it's been removed as well. It seems like a no brainer, but here's hoping they paint over that.

My concern is that in due part to the two feet of snow and the worst winter on record, Kennywood's newest coaster may not make it to operation status by its opening day (Folks, I've seen that happen in other parks). But concerning to us coaster lovers, better a late opener than never open the ride at all.

I would like to add that the area the new coaster is taking residence in used to be the old Turnpike. For years, I couldn't get on that ride because the park had this dumb policy against single riders (What? Are they afraid I'll fall off?) Last season, I finally got my revenge when I brought a friend with me to the park and we rode it! ( "WHAHOO!!!") Although it has been planned to build another Turnpike attraction in another part of the part, at least I got to ride it in the original spot.

In conclusion, I don't know wheither or not I'll be able to visit Kennywood this season, but I'm sure that when that time comes, then I'm sure the new coaster would be up and running.

("Finally, I get to be used in a post!")

^What coasters nowadays actually open for opening day?

Seriously, this has been a pet peeve of mine for some time now. I'd say up until about 2001 coasters at seasonal parks were still opening for OPENING DAY. You know, you have a season, you had an entire off season to build it, get it open!

But since then, it seems like the parks stopped caring about getting the rides open for opening day and it started pushing back farther and farther, Memorial Day, June, even July 4th!!!

The parks seem to think as long as they get the ride open sometime during the season it's fine, but when you're buying a season pass, and seeing all the ads, I'm sure it's not just the enthusiasts that are bummed the ride isn't open!

^You're right, you are absolutely right! Sometimes the old "Better Late than Never"can be downright disgusting.

Case in point: Hoilday World, last season. In my August road trip to visit many amusement parks I could, I decide to visit Hoilday World for two reasons: it's been years since my last visit, and to ride the Pilgrim's Plunge. So I got there and enjoyed the new Thanksgiving Area that didn't exist when I last visited the park, but found out to my dismay that Pilgrim's Plunge wasn't in operation. This is how I felt:

The bad thing is I don't when I'll be able to return to Hoilday World since that park is far away from my normal stomping grounds (which includes parks such as Kings Dominion, Busch Gardens Williamsburg, and Six Flags America), but it means that I won't be satisfied until that day I'll return and finally ride what I've been missing.

"You can sleep on that!"

Seriously, this has been a pet peeve of mine for some time now. I'd say up until about 2001 coasters at seasonal parks were still opening for OPENING DAY. You know, you have a season, you had an entire off season to build it, get it open!

(

Exactly. Little Dipper at SFGAm is opening in June. It isn't that big of a coaster (It could be because of the last minute plans, or SFGAm is taking their time)

And just out of curiosity, when is Kennywood's opening day for this year?

Edited by Jerrykoala2112

^What coasters nowadays actually open for opening day?

B&M Megas at Cedar Fair parks. I think Behemoth (not 100% on that) opened on time, but Diamondback absolutely did and Intimidator looks to be on track for opening on time as well.

You'd think with as expensive as these rides are that you'd want to get it open on opening day so that you maximize your ROI in the debut season, while the ride is still new and being talked about. But what do I know?

(Exactly. Little Dipper at SFGAm is opening in June. It isn't that big of a coaster (It could be because of the last minute plans, or SFGAm is taking their time)

And just out of curiosity, when is Kennywood's opening day for this year?

According to the website, May 7 with limited operation, and May 8 regularly.

By the way, I remember reading a few months ago that Kennywood put King Kahuna for sale on an amusement-ride-selling website, does anyone have anything new on that?

By the way, I remember reading a few months ago that Kennywood put King Kahuna for sale on an amusement-ride-selling website, does anyone have anything new on that?

There was a discussion on this a few pages back. It was sold to a Costa Rican park and is currently being disassembled.

I have no problems with new coasters opening after opening day. Many parks have Halloween events and in some cases minimize construction until after the Halloween events. In the cold weather environments that doesn't leave as much time to build.

I remember waiting those two months for El Toro to be completed after going on opening day, it created huge anticipation amongst the general public. Enthusiasts were already pumped for it since it was an Intamin pre-fab, but the public just saw this huge wooden structure growing in front of them and got excited about it opening.

^^ Really good job on that rendering! Looks about right for the most part. If that's anything close to the finished product, I think there will be some pretty happy coaster fans (myself included) up here in PA!

Can't wait to see some vertical construction! I'm still trying to wrap myself around the notion that after 10+ years, my home park is finally getting another brand NEW coaster (Phantom's Revenge, while fantastic, is not something I consider as "new".....I consider the Exterminator to be the last truly new coaster Kennywood has received).

I drove down to Kennywood yesterday to check out the construction. Enjoy the pics.

Oh yeah, King Kahuna's gone.

Track1.jpg.306e1a0db2b0d1910943ef4d1beabd4f.jpg

Track. Nothing too interesting.

Track2.jpg.b45b9d6f8c699b3484e202c0ff661de7.jpg

Supports. Again, nothing too interesting.

footers1.jpg.506adc903b48820ebff6ef371af470b8.jpg

Footers. The footers for the launch are in the foreground, covered with insulated blankets to help them cure properly.

footers2.jpg.6b6ab9791f9c28a4fccfb688ff5f2ee6.jpg

Closeup of some footers.

mysteriousstuff.jpg.4a0f0dae02f964e4386b6b175fc001ec.jpg

Don't know what's going on back there...

drillrig1.thumb.jpg.fd2e3c6c6dd60a706f3bf0a221fc4b15.jpg

One of two drill rigs that are digging holes for the footers.

Swingshot1.jpg.5031ee612a7d7099ed1e8012738feb15.jpg

Swingshot with its cars removed for the winter.

Phantomfixed.jpg.882a0c91fe9110b6a187270fe20a68c8.jpg

The Phantom, with it's slightly ghetto yet functional fix.

Edited by Kennyweird

Way to take my job Kennyweird...

Just kidding! I've been wanting close-up footer pics, but have been unable to find a place to stand without being in 3 feet of snow.

My most recent stop was Friday... didn't see anything TOO interesting that I could get to, so I didn't upload my pics...what you see above is what it was like then. I've driven by a lot since then without stopping, and it's still the same except for land progression.

I did, however, get pics from Wednesday of actual goings-on at the site. I had hoped for something else new today, for one big update, but there wasn't:

873914493_21710(3).JPG.addb1df4e13643911e1113b072eeed1b.JPG

This drill was moving around on the far end of the site.

153058565_21710(4).JPG.7c798be260f2387c6740011ba20b8e3f.JPG

Not sure what the blue arm thing is, but here footers are being poured.

801651934_21710(5).JPG.9a8de232eeda897d3f73ce7508dad612.JPG

In a way, Arrow is partially to thank for the coaster. =)

2639916_21710(6).JPG.fd56345547f72030417674d6ceb295f9.JPG

Supports.

254905334_21710(2).JPG.8b441b12f974d3df14c9953d853f19a2.JPG

Over half of the on-site supports are buried under snow.

Here are pics I took where the change is very noticeable.

1958338571_KW92009(44).JPG.06493ffe64e9fb42f156ad50e9a9af6f.JPG

Look at the top right.

1856817743_KW83009(38).JPG.effed742726c8e13a70a1905eb675899.JPG

The entire train is in the bank here...if it were entering or exiting, it would be obvious here, but the track tells all.

1487191340_KW61908(36).JPG.e5ef0be007f46eb6b3198002eedc4ad5.JPG

Here's a shot from 2008 showing how it's supposed to be. If taken in 2009, all but the last car would be banked to the right here.

Does anyone have a picture of the Phantom from last year? It actually looks like it could be worse to me.

Nah, it definitely looks better. It's actually funny how they fixed it. Instead of just replacing that whole section of track, they just changed the right rail to smooth it out a bit, which means some of the ties on the right are longer than the ties on the left.

Edited by Kennyweird

^^So that's what they did. I like that. That rail still looks to me like it bounces up and down, but that hill was always a little hard for me to look at and track. It's even harder in pictures. I was only looking at the gray rail's position in space, not relative to the other rail which is probably more important. It looks like they may match up, but I really can't tell. I guess we'll find out for sure when we start riding it. And do you know if they are going to paint it once it warms up?

Great update pictures guys! Looks like things are steadily moving along with footer pouring. Looking at the pics of the supports and track, it looks like most of the supports are on site (which would make sense since they'd start going up first). As for the track, anybody have a thought as to how much of it is there? From the pics I'm guessing maybe a third (or quarter) of it?

The top of Phantom's second hill looks better, although to be honest, I never really felt a huge difference in how it felt last year. I felt like the claims of "extreme roughness" were somewhat overblown. Regardless, it is good to see that the park heard complaints of something relating to one of their star coasters and were very proactive in correcting the issue. Somehow I can't picture the Six Flags and Cedar Fair parks having a similar rapid response.