TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

For anyone who says this thing is only 3 days behind is flat out lying. It's bad enough they don't even have footers poured yet, but they haven't even drilled for them either! Last I heard from several people was that the park is still doing surveying and plotting out all the footers. Why it's taken them so long to do this, I don't know. I do know that theres a ton of sewage lines and whatnot in that vicinity, so I would assume that's probably one of the biggest problems for them with trying to plot all the footers without hitting one of those lines. On top of that, there's not even track on site, so we can assume the surveying being done is holding back Premier from making the track and supports. Honestly, this whole project is a complete mess and they should have decided on the coaster much earlier than they did.

For anyone who says this thing is only 3 days behind is flat out lying. It's bad enough they don't even have footers poured yet, but they haven't even drilled for them either! Last I heard from several people was that the park is still doing surveying and plotting out all the footers. Why it's taken them so long to do this, I don't know. I do know that theres a ton of sewage lines and whatnot in that vicinity, so I would assume that's probably one of the biggest problems for them with trying to plot all the footers without hitting one of those lines. On top of that, there's not even track on site, so we can assume the surveying being done is holding back Premier from making the track and supports. Honestly, this whole project is a complete mess and they should have decided on the coaster much earlier than they did.

If the track really hasnt even started being MADE yet, Im not sure I even see this opening before July

You can't accuse them of being behind until you've seen the schedule. Maybe they are, maybe they aren't. Building something is a fluid process. It speeds up, it slows down. If someone wants to figure it out, go ahead, but it seems to me that the lift hill for Intimidator 305 took just as long as the rest of the track. The crew at Carowinds was left waiting for track, presumably because they moved so quickly.

Why is it such a bad thing that they haven't dug footers yet? Most likely, Premiere wasn't able to finish putting the ride together until all the trees were removed. Something came up that sent them back to drawing board. That's what happens when you build something.

Kennywood and Premiere want Sky Rocket opened as soon as possible. It is in the interest if neither to wait until summer is over. And besides, you seem to have missed what I said earlier. Kennywood was all set to go with this project way before Palace finally gave the OK. I have no idea how close we were to not getting a coaster, but the disagreement was series enough to make it a real possibility.

And besides, you seem to have missed what I said earlier. Kennywood was all set to go with this project way before Palace finally gave the OK. I have no idea how close we were to not getting a coaster, but the disagreement was series enough to make it a real possibility.

I'm going to have to call you out on this one...Before Kennywood decided on Sky Rocket there were numerous other routes Kennywood could have gone in terms of coaster companies. Did they have plans to build a coaster before Palace? I'm sure they've always had the idea in the back of their heads. But Premier WAS NOT the only option Kennywood was deciding on in the summer when they were making these plans. I know for a fact that there were other companies in the picture (unfortunately I am not able to say which ones), including wooden coaster designers. Ultimately they went with Premier because it fit their budget and Palace felt the park needed a new steel coaster more than a new wooden coaster. So saying these plans were set in stone before Palace is not true at all because the park was still finalizing certain things all the way up until Sky Rocket was announced in August.

Either your not listening or I'm not being clear. Kennywood didn't just up and decide to hire Premiere to build a coaster where the turnpike was. They did their due diligence, studied where to build it, solicited bids, and went with what they felt to be the best one. Kennywood picked Premiere but then Palace balked when they saw the price tag. The coaster was supposed to be announced during the ACE event held every year at Kennywood. You may or may not have heard the advertising for a "Major Announcement" that was supposed to be made. Instead of Sky Rocket, they announced that a major announcement was forthcoming. While Kennywood was ready to go at that point, Palace wasn't. Eventually, Kennywood and Palace came to some type of agreement, although whether Palace gave in and paid up or forced some type of compromise, I don't know.

Well now that you put it that way, then yes you are right for the most part. There are some specifics you are missing, but for the most part you are correct. I initially thought you meant Kennywood had this coaster planned before Palace was in the picture, which obviously isn't true. There are even rumors that a wood coaster was going to be the park's next coaster, but Palace said they needed a steel looper instead. But the biggest issue Palace had was that the coaster wouldn't fit in the budget they set for the park, but eventually Palace did give in. There was even rumors they were going to have Premier to cut down on the layout some to save some money, but they ended up going with the original design.

From Kennywood.com

Kennywood will introduce a Season Pass starting in March, 2010. Price is $89.99/person and includes unlimited visits to Kennywood during the regular season (through September 19, 2010). A limited quantity will be sold in 2010, so purchases will be on a first-come, first-served basis while supplies last. Phantom Fright Night admission is NOT included in the Kennywood Season Pass.

From Kennywood.com
Kennywood will introduce a Season Pass starting in March, 2010. Price is $89.99/person and includes unlimited visits to Kennywood during the regular season (through September 19, 2010). A limited quantity will be sold in 2010, so purchases will be on a first-come, first-served basis while supplies last. Phantom Fright Night admission is NOT included in the Kennywood Season Pass.

I caught that blurb this morning as well. I think the price is just high enough to keep the park from being the summer baby-sitter for West Mifflin/Duquesne area.

I caught that blurb this morning as well. I think the price is just high enough to keep the park from being the summer baby-sitter for West Mifflin/Duquesne area.

When I lived in PGH until 1992, I would have paid this much. I went to the park twice a week. I think this price is actually cheap.

As with any season pass, it depends on how many times you expect to go in the given season.

If you can find a one-day admission (discounted of course) for around $25, then a season pass @ $90 is only good if you plan on visiting 4+ times this year.

If there are other perks (such as a bring-a-friend or such) then the value may be more.

Well, parking is free, so that's another "perk," I guess.

This is kinda a moot point unless they do away with the free parking lot, which is only a slightly longer walk

Edit: If free "Paid" parking is one of the perks

At any rate, with as much as i visit kennywood, i'll be picking one up

I was just saying that someone who bought a season pass wouldn't be deterred to visit because they would have to pay $10-$15 in parking every time, or pay an extra $45 or so for a season parking pass, so visiting 4+ times per year wouldn't be as difficult.

While it's not necessarily a perk that comes along with buying a season pass, it's more like a "built-in perk," if you will.

That would be me... Shows how much of a life I have, but I hope to be able to provide semi-regular progress updates once we see work being done. Also of note is that it seems they finally have started digging holes. In other news, the Phantom work looks to be nearing completion, with only some minor welding to be done.

^ That would be awesome if you could post some update photos from the progress of the ride.

I'm also happy to see the park is finally offering a season pass!

--Robb

Not everyone is so happy about the park offering season passes at all, especially people who work for the park. I'm just glad that they are only offering a limited about of passes. Like everyone else who loves this park, I just don't want these season passes turning the park into a place parents can drop their kids off every day. It's bad enough all the hoodlums show up after 4pm for Night Riders, now we have to worry about all the kids who are going to be buying season passes. Hopefully the park sticks with the limited number of passes every year if they plan on keeping the season passes, I'd hate to see the park turn into another Six Flags. Since Sandcastle waterpark started offering season passes, the place is continually packed and its impossible to have a nice time there. Hopefully that doesn't happen to Kennywood too!

Thanks, Robb! Don't worry, I plan on visiting at least twice a week. The park is literally ten minutes from my house so I should be able to do at least that. In fact, I dropped by again today (nothing's here yet), and at least until the first pieces of track arrive, I see myself visiting daily. So hopefully, I'll be able to have an ongoing log of construction, pics included. But there are none now, obviously because nothing has happened yet...but that should change soon!

I also must agree with EastCoastn07 on the passes. Because of KW's location, it could easily become a day-care service. That's why I'm happy the passes are being offered in limited quantities.

^ That would be awesome if you could post some update photos from the progress of the ride.

--Robb

Not everyone is so happy about the park offering season passes at all, especially people who work for the park. I'm just glad that they are only offering a limited about of passes. Like everyone else who loves this park, I just don't want these season passes turning the park into a place parents can drop their kids off every day. It's bad enough all the hoodlums show up after 4pm for Night Riders, now we have to worry about all the kids who are going to be buying season passes. Hopefully the park sticks with the limited number of passes every year if they plan on keeping the season passes, I'd hate to see the park turn into another Six Flags. Since Sandcastle waterpark started offering season passes, the place is continually packed and its impossible to have a nice time

there. Hopefully that doesn't happen to Kennywood too!

Not to be mean, but that's a pretty selfish way to think of it. I think it's more money for Kennywood because they make a ton of money off their vendors.

--Robb

Not everyone is so happy about the park offering season passes at all, especially people who work for the park. I'm just glad that they are only offering a limited about of passes. Like everyone else who loves this park, I just don't want these season passes turning the park into a place parents can drop their kids off every day. It's bad enough all the hoodlums show up after 4pm for Night Riders, now we have to worry about all the kids who are going to be buying season passes. Hopefully the park sticks with the limited number of passes every year if they plan on keeping the season passes, I'd hate to see the park turn into another Six Flags. Since Sandcastle waterpark started offering season passes, the place is continually packed and its impossible to have a nice time

there. Hopefully that doesn't happen to Kennywood too!

Not to be mean, but that's a pretty selfish way to think of it. I think it's more money for Kennywood because they make a ton of money off their vendors.

I'd rather them remain the way they have been for the past 100+ years then turn into another Six Flags...Season passes are just one more step to getting to that point. All I'm saying is, there's a reason why they are only offering a limited number of passes.