TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

Wow...has Premier not learned by now that they should start their projects EARLIER?

Uh, it isn't Premier who is to blame for this coaster being built so late...Afterall, this project wasn't even finalized until early August. From what I heard, in July they were still deciding whether or not they were going with the Premier coaster or a Eurofighter. Ultimately they decided to go with Premier because it fit their budget more. One of the biggest reasons for this coaster taking so long to be announced was because Parques Reunidos was ultimately breathing down Kennywood's throat regarding the budge for next year. There was even rumors that the layout was going to be shortened to accomodate the budget, but I guess PR folded a bit and gave the park what they wanted.

Also, if you recall, Turnpike's last day wasn't until August 16th (which was decided by *gasp* Kennywood, not Premier) and it took two weeks to get most of the track and lamp posts pulled up. Some of the track (loading area and turn on the bridge) weren't pulled out until the dark week before Phantom Fright Nights. You also have to keep in mind the Engineering firm that Kennywood hired to do all the surveying and whatnot weren't able to do their job until AFTER the Turnpike was closed. And after all this was done, they still needed to rip up most of the trees, tear the garage down and level the land. ALL of this had absolutely NOTHING to do with Premier. The reason this coaster took so long to get going was because of delays by Parques Reunidos and all the pre-work that needs to be done on a coaster that has nothing to do with the manufacturer. So please, don't poing fingers when you don't have all the information.

They're 90% the same. There's definately a licensing/contract agreement between the two manufacturers. Just look in the past, Arrow/Vekoma shared many trade designs under license. I'm sure there's many more that I can think of on the top of my head.

So, they're 90% the same because they both have a launch, vertical hill/drop and a zero-g/barrel roll? Not sure if you've even seen the layout of the new coaster, but it has 3 inversions, not one like Wicked (inverted top hat, zero-g, corkscrew). It also has two vertical drops, compared to Wicked's one. Wicked also doesn't have a brake on the top of the first hill and the MCBR's are nothing alike on the two coasters. So I really don't see how you can say the two coasters are 90% the same just because the share three things in common.

Yeah they should have, but if the coaster opens late it will be the first new attraction I'll have seen not open on opening day. KP does try very hard to always have stuff up and running by opening day. We shall see. I'm a bit worried to hear that footers will be done by the end of the year so the steel can go in in January. Let's hope nothing gets delayed because at that tight schedule they can't afford to.

^ Doesn't premier contract out the actual assembly to contractors, like other ride design companies do? If that's the case than maybe it isn't their fault for the delays... I could be wrong, but it's just a thought.

-James Dillaman

Intermountain Lift, Inc. in Springville, Utah is the Track and Support Column Fabricator for Premier Rides. Spectrum Manufacturing in Hyrum, Utah, is the Fabricator of the Trains on the Outer Limits Coasters and Backlot Stunt Coasters. Sky Rocket could be a Complete Product of Utah! If this project is behind schedule, considering the relationship between Lagoon's and Kennywood's Management, the Cream Colored Support Columns being stored at Lagoon *COULD* belong to Sky Rocket.

- Sid "Praying the Premier Support Columns at Lagoon are for Sky Rocket" Vernon

^ Doesn't premier contract out the actual assembly to contractors, like other ride design companies do? If that's the case than maybe it isn't their fault for the delays... I could be wrong, but it's just a thought.

-James Dillaman

Intermountain Lift, Inc. in Springville, Utah is the Track and Support Column Fabricator for Premier Rides. Spectrum Manufacturing in Hyrum, Utah, is the Fabricator of the Trains on the Outer Limits Coasters and Backlot Stunt Coasters. Sky Rocket could be a Complete Product of Utah! If this project is behind schedule, considering the relationship between Lagoon's and Kennywood's Management, the Cream Colored Support Columns being stored at Lagoon *COULD* belong to Sky Rocket.

What on earth are you talking about?!

Relationship between Lagoon's and Kennywood's management? Thats the first I have heard of such a thing...
Management from Kennywood and Lagoon have been close for many years, infact, Lagoon actually hosts Management from Kennywood every winter for a Ski Vacation.

-James Dillaman

What on earth are you talking about?!

What are you Confused about?

^Ok, let me rephrase that statement...

Shouldn't Kennywood have learned by now that Premier should be given more time to start their projects EARLIER?

Once again, blame Parques Reunidos for taking so long to make a decision. The budget restraints that they put on the park were one of the biggest issues with the project. It got so ridiculous that Premier actually gave the park a deadline, luckily they jumped the gun early enough and the project is being built.

On a side note, has anyone thought that maybe Lagoon is getting a new coaster for next year? Why do these supposed "connections" Kennywood has with Lagoon mean that the coaster parts found at Lagoon are Kennywood's? I highly doubt the park would store their parts at another park when they have their own parking lot.

^Really? I didn't know that. But the supports will be silver, so whatever is sitting at Lagoon right now, unless Kennywood changed the color scheme, is definitely not for Skyrocket.
I was really hoping the Support Columns were for Skyrocket, but I guess that was just far fetched wishful thinking.

^Ok, let me rephrase that statement...

Shouldn't Kennywood have learned by now that Premier should be given more time to start their projects EARLIER?

Once again, blame Parques Reunidos for taking so long to make a decision. The budget restraints that they put on the park were one of the biggest issues with the project. It got so ridiculous that Premier actually gave the park a deadline, luckily they jumped the gun early enough and the project is being built.

On a side note, has anyone thought that maybe Lagoon is getting a new coaster for next year? Why do these supposed "connections" Kennywood has with Lagoon mean that the coaster parts found at Lagoon are Kennywood's? I highly doubt the park would store their parts at another park when they have their own parking lot.

Any Idea what the Budget for Skyrocket was? The Connections between Lagoon and Kennywood are existent, not supposed. The reason why the possibility of the Supports belonging to Kennywood is because Intermountain Lift, Inc. in Springville, Utah, is Premier Ride's Fabricator for Track and Support Columns. The Support Columns at Lagoon are Identical to those on Round About at Freestyle Music Park. Lagoon has also been looking at building another Large Coaster for 2011, and possibly a new small Family Coaster for 2010, however, the support columns seem to be a little large for a Family Coaster, and again, are Identical to those used on Round About.

Any Idea what the Budget for Skyrocket was? The Connections between Lagoon and Kennywood are existent, not supposed. The reason why the possibility of the Supports belonging to Kennywood is because Intermountain Lift, Inc. in Springville, Utah, is Premier Ride's Fabricator for Track and Support Columns. The Support Columns at Lagoon are Identical to those on Round About at Freestyle Music Park. Lagoon has also been looking at building another Large Coaster for 2011, and possibly a new small Family Coaster for 2010, however, the support columns seem to be a little large for a Family Coaster, and again, are Identical to those used on Round About.

Someone has already confirmed that those supports aren't from Premier.

Someone has already confirmed that those supports aren't from Premier.

Unless some other manufacturer has changed the design of their Support Columns, they are identical to those used on Round About.

• 2 weeks later...
...And a promo video!

Click me for 'afternoon delight'

Pretty sure that's the same video that has been on that site since the coaster was announced...

Anyways, it's good to see that some more has been announced on the coaster. It's definitely great to be able to see the layout in full and I don't care what other people said, I think this coaster is going to be awesome. Hopefully Kennywood updates that site and puts some new pictures up.

In other news, I've heard word that the park is still in the process of marking where all the footers are going to be placed...Hopefully they finish with this soon and digging and pouring of the footers begins before it gets too cold. I know from past experience that the park had trouble with both King Kahuna and Phantom's Revenge when dealing with footers and the cold, so hopefully they've learned their lesson and get these footers poured soon! I probably wouldn't expect to see any vertical construction before the New Year.

• 2 weeks later...

Kennywood made the official announcement for Sky Rocket today:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09343/1019603-100.stm

Kennywood Park has announced the new name of its new roller coaster -- a ride that launches riders from zero to 50 mph in just under three seconds.

The Sky Rocket will send riders straight up 95 feet, then drop them straight down before taking them upside down three times.

Sky Rocket will be the park's first new coaster since The Phantom's Revenge opened in 2001.

ADMIN EDIT: I have gone ahead and updated your post to quote the announcement.

2010_new_03.jpg.001e40f7325776b5689b5d7e2b7a4ce3.jpg

Its official folks! This Rocket's a go!