TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

Hey guys,

I'm thinking of adding a first-time visit to this park the day after Coaster Mania (Saturday, June 2). How are crowds this time of year? Any advice for a first-timer?

Thanks in advance!

Hey guys,

I'm thinking of adding a first-time visit to this park the day after Coaster Mania (Saturday, June 2). How are crowds this time of year? Any advice for a first-timer?

Thanks in advance!

if you care to ride Exterminator (indoor, spinning mouse, well themed), go there FIRST at opening. The line gets *nuts* very quickly, and moves at a snail's pace. . so knock that out first.

other than the coasters, which I assume you'll hit (my favorite woodie is JackRabbit), also do not skip:

Bayern Kurve, Black Widow, Kangaroo, the Whip, Paratrooper (runs fantastic program), Turtle (slow, classic ride, but ride it as it's a classic), and subject yourself to Garfield's Nightmare just for the history involved in the ride.

for food, Potato Patch fries are a given to get, but don't get talked into the fried Oreos. . . blech, too sweet for me. (the fudge at the store near the entrance was great tho if you like sweet)

oh, and hang around until night time, as the lights on the classic coasters are gorgeous (in particular Racer at night, lights reflecting on lake).

511128085_e97d84c951_b.jpg

9428460247_3be0b971d4_b.jpg

^ Very interesting. On that post, KW said that this is not Thomas Town and said this construction is a different part of the park. Sounds like whatever's going on for 2019 is more or less a sure thing!

I also heard this rumor (not sure if true), but apparently at an offseason event at the park a few months ago (ACE or something) there was a slideshow. One of the slides had the caption "What's NOT coming" with 3 pictures of a Prius, a Tyrannosaurus Rex, and a Velociraptor... Can anybody confirm/deny that this actually happened??

other than the coasters, which I assume you'll hit (my favorite woodie is JackRabbit), also do not skip:

Bayern Kurve, Black Widow, Kangaroo, the Whip, Paratrooper (runs fantastic program), Turtle (slow, classic ride, but ride it as it's a classic), and subject yourself to Garfield's Nightmare just for the history involved in the ride.

I'll add:

Noah's Ark--one of the best, most involved walkthroughs around these days. Tread carefully, as some find it treacherous.

Auto Race--quirky, one-of-a-kind auto ride. It's not a generic antique autos style--IIRC you don't control it yourself.

Ghostwood Estate--well-themed shooting dark ride set in a haunted house.

Also, it's not one of my favorites, but the carousel is classic, and typically runs the band organ.

I also heard this rumor (not sure if true), but apparently at an offseason event at the park a few months ago (ACE or something) there was a slideshow. One of the slides had the caption "What's NOT coming" with 3 pictures of a Prius, a Tyrannosaurus Rex, and a Velociraptor... Can anybody confirm/deny that this actually happened??

Hmm...

Tyrannosaurus Rex=T-Rex

Velociraptor=Raptor

T-Rex and Raptor are both RMC products.

Prius (Latin)= Coming Before; Primary; Prior

RMC woodie confirmed?

Did anyone catch the Screamscape rumor (or see it elsewhere) that it will not be an RMC after all?

Found it: "2019?? - New Coaster - Rumor - (12/1/17) While I haven't heard much of anything about this project in quite some time, we did get one rumor sent in claiming that RMC was no longer in the running for the park's next big coaster, which was now looking to possibly be a new impressive steel coaster project instead. If this latest info is legit, look for the new coaster to possibly open for the 2019 season."

Disappointing, if true. Or, at least, that would close off one very promising possibility, and leave open any number of potentially less impressive options--but also some awesome ones. Hmmm.

Hmm...

Tyrannosaurus Rex=T-Rex

Velociraptor=Raptor

RMC woodie confirmed?

Prius as in Toyota Prius, as in a "Hybrid" vehicle, as in IBox track.

So it's saying it's not these 3 RMCs... What's left is the Topper Track woodie style!

Hmm...

Tyrannosaurus Rex=T-Rex

Velociraptor=Raptor

RMC woodie confirmed?

Prius as in Toyota Prius, as in a "Hybrid" vehicle, as in IBox track.

So it's saying it's not these 3 RMCs... What's left is the Topper Track woodie style!

Here is that slide.

https://imgur.com/gallery/51hbl

I’m pretty sure that it won’t be an RMC at this point.

I'll add:

Noah's Ark--one of the best, most involved walkthroughs around these days. Tread carefully, as some find it treacherous.

Auto Race--quirky, one-of-a-kind auto ride. It's not a generic antique autos style--IIRC you don't control it yourself.

Also, it's not one of my favorites, but the carousel is classic, and typically runs the band organ.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm really looking forward to checking out this park.

I'll add:

agreed on Cal1br3tto's additional recommends too. . Noah's Ark was fun, and we really enjoyed Ghostwood Estates (when we went the entrance was right across from Thunderbolt entrance. . might still be, or they might have moved it due to Thomastown build)?

I'd personally like to see something like a Mack Rides coaster or even a new Intamin. I love B&M, but it seems like there are a ton of the in the US. If parks aren't building B&M's it's either some variation of RMC of GCI. I'm not complaining, but I'd prefer to see some kind of variation. And yes, I know Mack just built a new spinner. At least that's a start, I guess.

I don't see a Gerstauer happening, since Sky Rocket already seems like their token compact short train roller coaster. Then again, I could be completely off base with my entire sentiment.

Edited by prozach626

I don't see a Gerstauer happening, since Thunderbolt already seems like their token compact short train roller coaster. Then again, I could be completely off base with my entire sentiment.

you mean SkyRocket, right?

(since Thunderbolt is a fun woodie)

I hope I'm completely wrong, but I would be shocked to see a B&M or Intamin coaster at Kennywood. They just don't seem like a park that's quite on that level. It's one thing to have Intamin build you a flat and a rapids ride a couple decades ago, but a major coaster from them is a whole different ballgame. Kennywood has for the most part seemed to stay with companies based in the US for major coaster additions. There's always a first time for everything though.

Edited by FeelTheFORCE

Steel Phantom wasn't exactly minor in 1990s dollars, I'm sure, and Arrow was the biggest name in the business back then. Granted, that was before Parques Renudos ownership, but still.

Here's my non-RMC plausible fantasy: A totally unique, fluid, buck-nutty terrain coaster from Vekoma. Something like Lech Coaster that you can't find anywhere else. If Kennywood isn't setting records, then it should go for originality -- just like most of the park's other coasters. I can always be proven wrong, but standard elements from a B&M, for example, just don't seem to fit this park all that well.

Sky Rocket & Exterminator check boxes for spinning, launches, vertical drops, and mid-sized inversions, so I don't know how much the typical Mack or Gerstlauer would add to the collection. If it's not RMC, I'd love to see modern Vekoma deliver a crazy coaster that you could only experience at Kennywood.

Here is that slide.

https://imgur.com/gallery/51hbl

I’m pretty sure that it won’t be an RMC at this point.

First off, thank you for the picture!

bdD2IZQ.jpg

Second off, why would you be so sure of it not being one? It doesn't seem very fun to point out that all the ways we're not getting an RMC at all...

Especially when the type of RMC they were rumored to get a while back wasn't any of those listed in that picture.

Here's my non-RMC plausible fantasy: A totally unique, fluid, buck-nutty terrain coaster from Vekoma. Something like Lech Coaster that you can't find anywhere else. If Kennywood isn't setting records, then it should go for originality -- just like most of the park's other coasters. I can always be proven wrong, but standard elements from a B&M, for example, just don't seem to fit this park all that well.

Sky Rocket & Exterminator check boxes for spinning, launches, vertical drops, and mid-sized inversions, so I don't know how much the typical Mack or Gerstlauer would add to the collection. If it's not RMC, I'd love to see modern Vekoma deliver a crazy coaster that you could only experience at Kennywood.

I'd be on board with that. Having ridden Monster at Adventureland, the sensations aren't all that different from Sky Rocket.