TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Shane's Amusement Attic

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome, brings back memories as 1992 was the year after my first coaster road trip which included Cedar Point. I "volunteered" to drive out to Bowling Green University with my girlfriend as she was scouting out graduate schools. My stipulation was that we had to go the CP to ride Magnum and Kings Island to ride The Beast. My first coaster trip.

Theme park maps looked so much cooler back then. Today's CP map looks similar, but there's some sort of cartoony vibe to them that I really don't like (same with the other CF maps outside of the Carowinds/CGA maps).

I've got Getaway Guides from 2009-2011 and they certainly don't look as cool as the older ones (although the 2010/2011 ones are a tad nicer than the 2009 ones).

I agree with everybody above me, fantastic post, Shane.

Those shots of Mean Streak bring back some good memories of watching the POV from America's Greatest Coasters (Volume 1!), too bad the real ride wasn't anything as awesome as that POV (though I rode it after the trim brakes were placed on the first drop).

I agree with everybody above me, fantastic post, Shane.

Those shots of Mean Streak bring back some good memories of watching the POV from America's Greatest Coasters (Volume 1!), too bad the real ride wasn't anything as awesome as that POV (though I rode it after the trim brakes were placed on the first drop).

Thanks everyone! I am actually a little surprised that this last post has generated this many comments and interest because I sort of pulled it out of my a$$ as something quick to get on the thread since I have been a little slow with updating.

But since there seems to be some interest, let’s run with it. Here is some Super 8 footage I shot at the park back in 1980 and I will follow that up with the 1993 Getaway Guide.

[coastertube]http://www.themeparkreview.com/coastertube/play.php?vid=Cedar_Point_1980_tip9[/coastertube]

Wow...great memories there. Thanks for sharing, Shane!

I used to have all of the Getaway Guides from the 90's, but I'm not sure if I still have them in my Dad's attic, or if he threw them away.

I still remember the old school Cedar Point with the buzz bars & no seat belt on Blue Streak, the maroon train on Gemini, Oceana and Jungle Larry's. Actually, I think 1980 or 1981 may have been the first year I ever went to CP. Doesn't it look like the coasters ran a lot faster back then, or is it just the tape?

Edit: ^ No, the aquarium was removed years ago, although the building still stands between Wicked Twister and Windseeker. It now houses an extreme sports/stunt show with skateboards and BMX bikes, I believe.

Don’t judge the speed of the coasters by the Super 8 footage. It wasn’t the most accurate form of media back then…as a matter of fact you couldn’t even capture sounds. Seems so primitive but it was actually cutting edge for the time.

According to the 1993 getaway guide, “Snake River Falls” was the new attraction. I will post that Getaway Guide tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...