TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Magic Mountain Announces "X2"

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if it's been said but I just got an e-mail from SFMM saying that X will officially close December 3rd for the transformation.

Just thought I'd say that in case anyone wants to know.

From a post last week...

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding the rough ride on the original X I think it really has a lot to do with how people strap themselves in. I went with 2 friends and they both complained it was extremely rough and threw them around while I found it was more comfortable than any ride at the park save for Tatsu. (I didn't ride Viper but I doubt that matters) Before that day I hadn't ever ridden X and since I knew the seats pitched I made sure to strap in tight enough that there was no room for movement, and my 2 friends were in more loosely and got rattled around. We all rode front and back, inside and outside and didn't find it made much difference. I think people have a tendency to loosen the restraints so theyre not pressing on their chest or shoulders, but I find its more comfortable to tighten them so you dont rattle when your seat pitches forward or backwards.

I like that the track is getting repainted (and actually someone's suggestion of bare steel instead of paint sounded good), and definitely the new cars if they will be more reliable. IMO the one big problem with X has been the reliability.

I dont know about this tunnel stuff though..like others have said, when are you going to bother seeing designs on the wall when youre flipping at 80 mph? I don't think this is the right ride for visual effects.

As X is one of the most popular rides in the park, they are trying to resell it as best they can to attract new customers and bring back old ones. As Revolution is disregarded somewhat by the public, it wouldn't be in the park's interest to invest any large amount of money into the ride.

but I find its more comfortable to tighten them so you dont rattle when your seat pitches forward or backwards.

Yep, if you do that the ride is not rough at all. The only discomfort is a little soreness on the shoulders.

If you ride with the restrains not tightly touching your shoulders or chest, you are going to get knocked around quite a bit.

but I find its more comfortable to tighten them so you dont rattle when your seat pitches forward or backwards.

Yep, if you do that the ride is not rough at all.

The ride is still rough, it's the nature of it. But I agree you need to have the restraint tight to avoid being thrown around like a rag doll.

I think it might be of benefit to have the rideops mention that to guests, since they're less likely to return if the park's most popular ride gives them a bad experience.

Personally I wished someone would have warned me that Goliath would give me whiplash and black me out so I could have seen it coming..but thats okay I'm not bitter, I'll just ride X repeatedly instead of riding Goliath

My problem with X is the way my feet get thrown around. I learned long ago to apply the restraints as tightly as I can, and I'm not uncomfortable. What I think they should have done on the new trains is to incorporate some sort of restraint for the legs or ankles. The ones on Tatsu work well, and something like that would have been welcome here.

I may give X2 one try, but I have a feeling I'll be disappointed anyway.

Eric

Grey out yes, black out NO. Blacking out means you're really out and slumped over. Greying out leaves you with tunnel vision and less strength.

And whiplash? I don't see where you could get whiplash on that ride, unless you were really blacked out and slumped over, in which case revert back to my first post and seek medical attention.

My problem with X is the way my feet get thrown around. I learned long ago to apply the restraints as tightly as I can, and I'm not uncomfortable. What I think they should have done on the new trains is to incorporate some sort of restraint for the legs or ankles. The ones on Tatsu work well, and something like that would have been welcome here.

Eric

I was always a bit sceptical about the restraint style until I rode Eejanaika. The lower extremities have almost no restraint to stop them flying about.

Now this would be good if that ride didn't fling you about painfully, but the not very smooth ride and shaky seat twisting didn't help any of that.

Actually, I think there is a comment on the recorded instructions on X to bring the shoulder harness down until it is touching your shoulders, but they need to be clearer about that. The restraints definitely need to be snug. The only ride I have ever had on X where I got tossed around a bit was when I didn't have the harness tight enough. Other than that, I have had good rides on both inside and outside seats in rows 1-4. Outside seats were slightly more turbulent the further back in the train, but still tolerable.

I think the new trains may actually be an improvement over the Eejanaika trains, as they look rather different. Hopefully, third time is the charm in this case. It's a great ride, and I would like to see them get it right this time. Another thing I noticed, looking at the photos of the train-there is no longer a manual release pedal for the restraints. I am assuming the new system is handled electronically. It will be interesting to see all the revisions they are going to make to the station, etc. as well as the load and unload procedures. I've heard conflicting rumors on whether or not there will be a dropping floor or not, so I'm anxious to see if they do that or not.

I'm heading up this coming weekend to get one or two last rides in on "X1" before the transformation-does anyone know if they have been running one or two trains for X on Saturdays? The last time I went, it was one train op and over two hours in line only to have it break down right before we got on (which is another reason I am very grateful they are making the upgrades to the ride, even if that means I won't be able to ride it again until spring!)

This is kind of a prelude to the new X2...I found these photos of X1 in its infancy. All the parts are sitting in the mud at the Arrow Plant in Clearfield, UT before shipping to Magic Mountain. You can see the track pieces and also the early trains and wheel assemblies.

Shane

x11.jpg.f97850305c13cd3c5983c53a03731789.jpg

x9.jpg.2395221858114e3f38dd21cb532d9c85.jpg

x7.jpg.44e146977a2e500bad1f11072091a43c.jpg

x6.jpg.9e939cd602aaa343f2c342aa7be3c097.jpg

x4.jpg.ea246d6548d3aed6a5809ff44f5520a0.jpg

x3.jpg.d8bde1e703c685572cd940b7605bf051.jpg

x2.jpg.cfab6f7e91de92286a59fe906d041f5f.jpg

x12.jpg.08549f2ca8e3a885170eea32ce9787fd.jpg

x10.jpg.5b75a22729cd13b98e9857ba8d403e3c.jpg

x8.jpg.4d8338a127fd7d60524c135780c9ee0f.jpg

x5.jpg.c03596dd0859d2b5ca293f934e683c3b.jpg

x1.jpg.ccea9401dcacf2c97fda9cc5f2e9755b.jpg

^ wow those are some really neat pictures! You have a real knack for finding interesting things, keep up the good work! After looking at those pictures, im wondering why they havent put any kind of restraint for your legs however, because based on what ive read, if your legs get thrown around that much, it sounds like you would need to have some kinda restraint for the ride to be comfortable at all.

I also got a 404 error, however you can link it if you go to the site. That video first surfaced back in the very late 90's (maybe 2000 at the latest), and I recall be shocked when I first saw it. I figured that the concept would never make it beyond the factory floor.

Eric

I've heard people complaining about their legs getting thrown around however I've never had that problem myself. Dunno why, maybe cause I'm shorter?

I think the leg restraints would keep your legs "there" but they still might whack your shins around.

Montezuma those are some great photos thank you for sharing them with all of us!

Coasterfreak101 thank you too I've never seen that video before. I'm sure when the model worked the designers were so amped up with what they could do with it.