TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

BAD Hotels/Motels near parks

So, I'm currently in Orlando for vacation to visit all the usuall places, Disney, Uni etc.

My first night we stayed at the Rodeway Inn on IDrive, it wasnt classy but wasnt to bad, heck, it was clean!

Now I'm staying at the Days Inn on IDrive and its terrible!!! Its not that clean, the extractor in the bathroom leaks (read drenches) and the staff are terrible.

I like to stay as near the parks as possible so a heads up would be great for any hotels near any parks please!

Hoping to avoid similar hell holes

Piers

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oooh, good topic! I'm gonna move this to the main forum.

The Fairfield Inn in Anaheim near Disneyland sucks for the price. Crappy older rooms, noisy, and smelled like smoke. Not recommended, even with its closeness to DLR!!

I stayed at a Ramada Inn near Chicago/SFGAm that was pretty terrible. The bathroom didn't quite work, the pool was closed, bed wasn't made at 8PM, there were no clean towels, and to top it all off: it wasn't cheap!! That's one night I'll never have back!

Oooh, good topic! I'm gonna move this to the main forum.

The Fairfield Inn in Anaheim near Disneyland sucks for the price. Crappy older rooms, noisy, and smelled like smoke. Not recommended, even with its closeness to DLR!!

Dude, same goes for the Best Western in Valencia. Right next to the loud freeway, old crappy rooms and just overall a dump. I even got sick after eating at the Denny's there.

Just about any hotel in Sandusky past the causeway.

If you stay away from Cedar Point, make sure you book a nicer hotel. The cheaper hotels can be pretty scary.

Every time I've gone to Cedar Point I stay at the Holiday Inn Express in Port Clinton and I'm very happy with it.Online many of the other Sandusky hotels don't look that great and as you say are probably pretty scary.As far as the worst hotel near a theme park,or actually anywhere that I've ever stayed that would be the Safar Inn close to Busch Gardens Tampa,not Safari Inn,it's called Safar Inn,absolutely horrible, it was next to an adult video store,it smelled like beer everywhere,everything was dirty, a table had a leg that would fall along with the whole table if you touched it the wrong way.I have no idea how I slept that night in that place.

I stayed in Sandusky last weekend at America's Best Value Inn on 250. it is near the Wal-Mart and right across from the next, new indoor water park.

The room was clean and it was quiet. Can not complain too much.

However, I stayed at the Best Budget Inn earlier this year and it was not so good. This is the location right by the causeway. Very noisy and during the one night I stayed there, I know there were at least 2 visits by the police for reasons unknown.

Six Flags over Georgia - Days Inn (Austell, GA)

I haven't stayed there, but I've stayed at the Wingate Inn next door (which is quite nice and I got a park side room).

Anyways, the Days Inn looked ghetto, and TN has a topic like this on their forums. Basically, it is the definition of a ghetto hotel where I've heard people had cops pull in on a consistent basis, funky smells, and a lot more.

Busch Gardens Africa

The hotels on Busch Blvd. are definitely hotels that have seen better days. The location is also not the greatest.

If you want a GOOD hotel near BGA, stay on Fowler Ave. There's an Embassy Suites, Best Western, LaQuinta, and Wingate Inn (that look nice) within 2 miles of BGA and I'm sure those hotels have shuttles to the park.

Dude, same goes for the Best Western in Valencia. Right next to the loud freeway, old crappy rooms and just overall a dump. I even got sick after eating at the Denny's there.

The Hilton Garden Inn in Valencia is pretty nice, and is as close to SFMM as you can get. I think it was about $100/night, but this was in January, which isn't peak season or anything.

My submission for bad hotels near theme parks is the Tennessee Mountain Lodge right on the main strip in Pigeon Forge before you turn off towards Dollywood. Do NOT stay there. We stayed 2 nights back in April, and all our stuff smelled like mold when we got home. A coworker told me this place was clean, but he was oh so wrong.

I'm a hotel nazi anymore. I do a quick check of the room immediately after checking in. If the room sucks, I just give the key back to the front desk, and then find a nicer place to stay.

The Orlando International Airport hotel.

Thankfully i was show a list of non-expedia reviews for it which were all about one or two stars. Needless to say i quickly changed, me and Paul could have been in for a rough night last week!

Is there a similar topic for good places to stay? I'm looking into going to Disney land Paris at some point and i'd like to know a decent place to stay there that doesn't involve shelling out an icredible amount for a Disney hotel...

Richmond Road in Williamsburg, Va., can be really hit or miss, but the hotels on it are within easy walking distance of a lot of chain and fastfood restaurants. The Holiday Inn Express (which gets largely good reviews on Trip Advisor) is currently inbetween two construction zones.

Stay away from the Family Inn just outside of the 'Burg on Airport Road, unless you're really into trains--it's right next to the tracks (but it is pretty cheap).

A hotel in the same street as Adventure Island (Don`t remember the name) in Southends,UK.It only had small beds and was only for honeymoon-makers,kids we`re not allowed (I can`t beleive that all other hotels we`re full!),just not recommended by families!

A couple of us stayed at the Fairfield in Santa Clarita (SFMM) last March. I'd give that one a thumbs up.

I've stayed at the two La Quintas (one on I-Drive, the other on Universal) in Orlando. The one on Universal is far superior, and it's next to Pirates Cove.

Paul and I stayed at the La Quinta (I'm sensing a theme here) in Minneapolis. It looks kind of dumpy but it was quiet and the rooms were failry nice. It's also right between MOA and Valleyfair.

Every time I've gone to Cedar Point I stay at the Holiday Inn Express in Port Clinton

It is hard to go wrong with Holiday Inn Express. Sure, it will run you around $100 but you can be pretty sure that it will be up to par. Catrina and I stayed in one (Orangesburg, SC) a couple days ago and it was great. Plus, you get a groovy breakfast.

This year, we have stayed in:

Lemon Tree Inn - Near Disneyland

7/10

Good hotel built around extended stays. Not exactly brand new, but reasonably kept. Free Internet. I would stay again, but Catrina would not.

Holiday Inn Express - Near SFMM

9/10

What you would expect from HIE. Free Internet and Breakfast. Clean rooms. If you have a "Priority" card, you will get a paper and some free candy and water.

Disney Coronado Springs - WDW

10/10

My favorite of all Disney hotels. Great for couples. Quiet and excellent service. Has it's own bus for the parks and they are typically not that crowded (hotel does mostly convention guests). Granted it was also $200 a night

Breakers Express - Cedar Point

8/10

A lot of people post negative reviews of this hotel, but I have found it to be average or better. You get what you pay for and their are a lot of local hotels in that area that are much worse.

Red Roof Inn - Louisville KY (Near SFKK)

9/10

Catrina and I usually stay away from the budget motels, but after reading the reviews on this place, I was intrigued. If you can find a Red Roof that has been renovated in the last two years, it is a steal at $50/night.

Springfield Suites - Williamsburg VA (Near Outlet Mall)

10/10

Got this for $45 from Priceline. Absolutely awesome 3 room suite. Shame we only stayed there for a night.

Courtyard Inn - Two exits from CA Wonderland (Near Dave and Busters)

9/10

Got this one from Priceline for $45. Great location and an excellent staff. Clean rooms and free internet.

Lately, I have been doing the Priceline thing. If you research biddingfortravel.com, you can get some great deals at some great hotels.

// Days Inn I-Drive is a hell hole

Just a quick place, then I will look at my list that we have from the past couple years.

Days Inn by Silver Dollar City. It is right next to a Pizza Hut. I don't recommend this place. The people were nice, but the rooms all smelled of smoke. They called it the Lakeview Inn. It is located at the Jct. Hwy 76 and Hwy 13.

A suggestion is to become a card carrying member of one, or more, of the hotel chains. You get some awesome perks. You can get a Best Western card withm, or without, a AAA membership. That combination is really great. Ted has suggested the HIE "priority" card.

I try to stay in nicer hotels as much as possible. We usually stay at Holiday Inn Express or some Marriott property. You pay more, but I always think that "you get what you pay for" is a pretty true statement. I prefer not sleeping somewhere that would make a chainsaw wielding madman say "man, this place is creepy".

I'm also going to say that I would never recommend anything near Cedar Point. I've stayed in two craptacular places there (I don't remember the names, sadly). I'll stay further away at a nicer place.

I also recommend the HIE right down the street from SFMM if you're going there. I've stayed there a couple of times, and have been impressed.

I haven't been there in years, but are all the crack den hotels still right across the street from Knott's? That's another area I'd avoid. Seriously, I was kept up all night by people pounding on doors looking for drug dealers and other unsavory characters. Not a great night.

dt

^Yah, we used to stay at the Motel 6 and Good Night Inn in Sylmar. They were not very nice, and had some very scary people, but they're super cheap in the offseason. I probably wouldn't ever stay at either again, but when broke in college, they sufficed.

Motel 6 right by I-Drive. We planned our honeymoon to be a 7 day land-sea package at WDW. Well all the flights that got in the day it started got to Orlando around 1. So, we wanted to maximize our trip and have a full first day. We decide to fly in the night before and shuttle to the airport for the magical express. BIG mistake. We get there around 9, its humid as hell outside. The Motel 6 itself acutally isn't that bad other than being outdated decor and such. We get to our room, and the air doesn't work so its like 90 in the room. We call the desk and instead of moving us, they bring someone up to fix it. Apparently it was the 6th unit to go down that night. It took over an hour before they realized they can't fix it that night, and moved us to a new room. Then the rest of the trip we stayed at the Dolphin. Great place.

Thank you to anyone who pays US taxes. You help fund my stays in Marriott hotels across the nation and even in Germany, that way I don't have to worry about Days Inn's and the like. The worst Marriott I've been in is still better than a lot of the crapholes out there