TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

Had the chance to attend the cast member preview of Big Thunder, and thoroughly enjoyed the enhancements. The new track is very smooth, I rode the front and the back. Normally the front was very noisy, but now it was toned down. The additions (new scenery, animals etc...) were very well done. Overall, very much worth the wait, it will be great for years to come!

On a side note, later on I was in line for Space Mountain (on the overhead platform above the loading station) when a obviously very pregnant women (around 8 months + or so guessed by the people around us) boarded the ride below us. I realize that Space Mountain doesn't rock you around as much as lets say The Matterhorn, but this girl looked like she was ready to give birth tomorrow. Regardless, the Disney Cast Member in our group said in the past (he's been with the company for 20+ years) they could say excuse me, aren't you expecting??? But not anymore, they simply say nothing and let them ride, and hope there's no issues. What can you do......

Expecting mothers is considered a "warning" by many manufacturers, meaning that it's only a suggestion they don't ride. It's up to the parents to decide, since it can very easily lead to a lawsuit from not allowing them to ride and technically isn't a safety issue if the restraints work properly.

^And if the expectant mother still decides to ride, they assume all liability. Same way some parents stuff their kids shoes so they are tall enough. They also assume all liability at that point.

^And the second one of those kids gets as much as a paper cut, they'll sue the park for billions. People are stupid and terrible.

On a different topic, that is indeed a nice looking Starbucks. I was sort of surprised to not see a gathering of assholders outside protesting, since Walt never drank at Starbucks or whatever. Perhaps they all wore themselves out looking for paint chips earlier that day...

dt

^And the second one of those kids gets as much as a paper cut, they'll sue the park for billions. People are stupid and terrible.

On a different topic, that is indeed a nice looking Starbucks. I was sort of surprised to not see a gathering of assholders outside protesting, since Walt never drank at Starbucks or whatever. Perhaps they all wore themselves out looking for paint chips earlier that day...

dt

^Agreed. I love when Disney EnthusiASSt sites complain about paint chipping. By the time they notice it it's probably already in the process of getting repaired. People need to keep in mind that when something is brought up to the attention of the maintenance department, a work order needs to be issued, said work order then gets put in a queue and work orders are handled as they come in. 3rd shift custodial and maintenance teams work their A$$ off keeping the parks in the shape their in.

dt

I lost it when I read "assholders"!

dt

Nah, they were too busy engaging in their special AP preview of Big Thunder so they can go running to their computers to proclaim everything that's wrong with it.

I'm more excited about the DTD Starbucks than I am about Big Thunder.

I'm not too thrilled by either to be honest. The Starbucks looks great and Big Thunder looks to have had another 30 years of life breathed into it, but I don't feel a need to be the *first* to ride it, or to say what's good/bad/otherwise about it. It was down both times I tried to ride it on Saturday. Did I go stomping into City Hall demanding a refund on my AP because the ride wasn't open for me on AP preview day? No. Just moved on and had a good time with everything else. People who do that really need to get a hold on their lives.

I'm sure I'll ride it at some point in the next 30 years. No need to go nuts over it one way or the other. It looks great and I look forward to riding it eventually.

For the Nemo lovers out there. I saw this linked from Screamscape today

Submarines are staying put at Disneyland

ANAHEIM – The head of the Disney company confirmed Tuesday that there could be more room for “Star Wars” and Marvel attractions at Disneyland.

But they won’t go where Nemo swims.

Bob Iger, chief executive officer of the Walt Disney Co., said Disney has no plans to get rid of the Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage ride at Disneyland, addressing well-circulated rumors that the lagoon space could be used for a new attraction.

Iger made the statements during the company’s annual meeting after a shareholder asked about plans to possibly replace the submarines with a Marvel attraction.

“We believe it’s in its rightful place and open and there for guests to enjoy, young and old,” Iger said.

Rumors of the possible removal of Finding Nemo arose last summer when Miceage.com, a Disney watchdog blog, reported that company officials were eyeing the spot for a Tomorrowland expansion.

The issue came up again in January when Disneyland shut down the ride for an extensive refurbishing. But Disney officials emphasized then that Finding Nemo is to reopen in the fall.

The original Submarine Voyage ride closed in 1998, staying shut until 2007, when it returned with the Finding Nemo theme based on the Pixar movie of the same title.

Some Disney fans were relieved by Iger’s comments.

“It shouldn’t even be an option to actually close it down,” said Liz Cerezo, 37, of Brea, who runs a Spanish-language Disney blog, disneylandiaaldia.com. “I’m glad Bob Iger completely squashed those rumors.”

Iger did hint that something new would be coming along.

“We are looking at opportunities for Marvel and ‘Star Wars,’” Iger said. “You can expect that there’s more ahead for Disneyland.”

Also during the meeting in Portland, Ore., Iger announced the dates for the fourth D23 Expo, the official Disney fan club convention: Anaheim Convention Center again will host the biennial event, this time Aug. 14-16, 2015.

The last expo, in Anaheim, drew 65,000 fans in 2013.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/iger-606058-disney-nemo.html

When reading this, I never thought about Autopia since I never really pay much attention to it when I am there. However, portions of it are directly on top of the Subs.

Not to be a "micechat tinfoil hats guy". However, this does bring up a point on why the attraction is closed for the next few months. Maybe they are looking into the foundation on the Subs to do what they want next. Iger never mentioned the fate of Autopia in this...

It's a foregone conclusion that Autopia is leaving to make room for new attractions though, right?

We currently have no accurate info regarding anything in that area other then what Iger stated that they subs are not leaving.

When reading this, I never thought about Autopia since I never really pay much attention to it when I am there. However, portions of it are directly on top of the Subs.

Not to be a "micechat tinfoil hats guy". However, this does bring up a point on why the attraction is closed for the next few months. Maybe they are looking into the foundation on the Subs to do what they want next. Iger never mentioned the fate of Autopia in this...

Rides close for periods of time yearly for routine maintenance, and then every few years they close for an extended refurb to do more major work. They very well could be doing things in there for future expansion of Star Wars though. Just because the subs aren't leaving doesn't mean they cant build part of a coaster in that area. Or they might modify Autopia to free up room for other stuff.

We will have to wait and see how this turns out.

This is eerily similar to the last time the subs closed for an extended period of time. Wasn't there even signs for the Atlantis re-do?

Edited by Jew

This is eerily similar to the last time the subs closed for an extended period of time. Wasn't there even signs for the Atlantis re-do?

Yes, that was the big rumor at the time. There was never an actual announcement as to what would replace it though. This is from Yesterland

...Finally, in September 1998, the Submarine Voyage carried its last passenger.

The lagoon awaited a new attraction. In the announcement that the attraction would be closing, Disneyland Publicity suggested that there would be a new attraction in 2003. The rumor was that Walt Disney Imagineering was working on a much-improved undersea experience, Atlantis Expedition. No such attraction opened. It probably didn’t help that Disney’s 2001 animated feature, Atlantis: The Lost Empire, failed at the box office.

It doesn’t take five years to install a new attraction. So why did the Submarine Voyage close in 1998? Disneyland executives at that time considered the attraction too costly to operate in relation to its capacity.

As is the rumor today, the idea back then was also that the subs were closed due to high costs and low throughput. And, just like what Paul Pressler said back in 1998:

...April 1998 Orange County Register interview with Paul Pressler, who was president of Disneyland at the time. In that interview, Jerry Hirsch of the Register asked, “What’s up with the subs? We hear the ride will close sometime this year.”

Paul Pressler replied, “We know the show today isn’t as relevant as it was. We know that in the future we need to do something in that location, but we have not made a decision on the subs, and we won’t make a decision until we know what we want to do in the future there. We would hate to abandon the notion of an attraction that goes under the water.”

Less than four months later, the decision on the subs had been made.

Yesterland. Seperate link from above.

So...the exact same sequence of events that happened back in 1998 are currently unfolding again in 2014. All we're missing from this is an announcement in a few months saying the subs wont actually return, but instead something new! HEY! Wait a minute! Isn't Disneyland's Birthday just 4 months away? (Coincidence, I know) But, if the subs aren't to come back, I would think we would hear it soon.

The company had denied things before in the exact same manner, and they WILL do it again. So, do we think Iger lied at the Shareholder meeting about the subs?

Edited by COASTER FREAK 11

HEY! Wait a minute! Isn't Disneyland's Birthday just 4 months away? (Coincidence, I know) But, if the subs aren't to come back, I would bet there's going to be an announcement tacked onto the 60th Celebration.

As much as I enjoy Nemo, I really hope they use the anniversary to bring back 20,000 Leagues for a limited time. Kind of like the original plan for Captain EO (before they realized Captain EO should totally be a permanent attraction because it's the greatest thing in the world).

^ Hey, I love Dinosaur, no question, but Disneyland already has Indy (far superior, IMO). Captain EO is historic (first ever 3D film) and was a HUGE memory of my childhood. I know it's cheesy as hell, but I love it like nobody can believe. Also, the walkout song is Another Part Of Me, my favorite MJ song. I can't help but dance like a moron every single time I see it!