TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

Went to the parks yesterday, slowly but surely it's looking better and better. The entrance is really coming along, the scaffolding is down off of the top pieces. Also Apparently Saturdays are the day to go as I think the longest wait of the night was Star Tours and Indiana Jones at an hour while me and my friend walked onto Little Mermaid around 8:00PM. Goofy's Sky School was in soft openings, but I didn't feel like waiting 30 minutes for a standard mouse so I skipped it for now, but peeking through the cracks in the fences into the new restaurants, they look FANTASTIC, and I can't wait for that are to open up.

1495219941_DCAEntrance.jpg.03f003768feb0977895ea04fb3a9362c.jpg

Looking good, but having a strange case of Deja Vu...

I'm hoping that the Redwood Creek Trail becomes more popular because of this Up retheme. I myself loved Up, and will check it out when I return to DCA.

Am I the only one who still wants that Mine train attraction rumored to replace this area? If it was themed to Grizzly bears, just like Tokyo's, it would fit the Cali theme perfectly.Although, I know they're still trying to get away from the Cali theme, I think the attraction could be a hit, just like Everest.

Well the redone Goofy's Sky School has soft opened before the official July 1st grand opening. The facelift looks like it was very well done, its certainly better than what they had originally.

Here's a HD POV of it:

ADMIN EDIT: I went ahead and embedded the video so people wouldn't have to hit the link to see it.

Edited by jedimaster1227

^^ Thanks for sharing! I was wondering if they were going to do a special Fourth of July WOC, and now I know for next year. After seeing WOC and so many Disneyland firework shows, I didn't even bother going to see fireworks in my town last night. Sure, it'd be the patriotic thing to do, but I've become so accustomed to audio-enhanced firework/light shows at Disneyland that anything else would be boring.

Also, how on earth did I miss Robb's media coverage? I was checking the FB updates, but I missed a lot! Awesome pictures, Robb!

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/07/inside-corn-dog-castle-at-disney-california-adventure-park/

Step inside the Corn Dog Castle – now open at Disney California Adventure park – in this video! This much-loved food location serves more than 1,000 corn dogs each day. Here you can find three types of corn dogs: cheese, hot link and regular (which is the most popular). How do they make these bits of heaven on a stick? Find out for yourself:

What is your favorite Corn Dog Castle treat?

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/06/the-grid-remains-open-at-electronica-through-spring-2012/

Grab your identity discs, Programs, because ElecTRONica will continue to power up at Disney California Adventure park through Spring 2012! Also, guests still have the chance to test their light cycle skills as the TRON: Evolution tournament continues as well. And don’t forget – now through June 14, tournament Grand Champions can take home “TRON: Legacy” on Blu-ray.

ElecTRONica features many unique experiences – guests can experience the stunning performance of Laserman, dance to electronic mixes spun by live DJs, enjoy unique food and beverages, play classic 80s arcade games at Flynn’s Arcade and immerse themselves in the world of “TRON: Legacy.”

So come step into the Grid at ElecTRONica now through Spring 2012!

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/07/behind-the-wall-radiator-springs-racers/

Reading your comments on our recent virtual “drive-through” of the upcoming Cars Land at Disney California Adventure park, I could see that many Disney Parks Blog readers were excited to see what’s in store when the new experience opens next year. Today, we’ve got even more for you to see – new behind-the-wall photos of Radiator Springs Racers.

In this first image, you can see the Cadillac Mountain Range continuing to take shape, with one of the banked turns of Radiator Springs Racers in the foreground.

Here’s a close-up of one of the banked turns, in which you can see the double-track where the ride vehicles will race side-by-side.

In this broader view, you can get a feel for the scope of this attraction. Hills, banked turns, straightaways – who’s ready to go for a spin?

You can see these images and more about Cars Land at Blue Sky Cellar in Disney California Adventure park.

DCA_00846_LARGE.jpg.1095e6e72cbfc368b25d20089bd8fc03.jpg

5908867242_4a955b9377_o.jpg.6256958864555ebc34d2bbbbf2215e16.jpg

5908867622_3fa45c6a8f_o.jpg.f1cafe9742caba7c7e0ae706f28f9588.jpg

5908866400_573b8193d9_o.jpg.7309b9d686198e1ea1e7f7912d71bd29.jpg

Edited by jedimaster1227

^ I'm glad that ElecTRONica will be around for a while. Honestly, if they were to remove it right away, what would replace it?

While the street parties/dancing might be over the top for my tastes, the arcade is awesome! I stocked up on the Flynn's tokens when it first opened.

Before elecTRONica they had this disaster called GLOW FEST and it was the worst. I wanted to leave. It was like a RAVE that you could not escape. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh they should keep elecTRONica because its a great show and you can never get enough tron.

^ I'm glad that ElecTRONica will be around for a while. Honestly, if they were to remove it right away, what would replace it?

While the street parties/dancing might be over the top for my tastes, the arcade is awesome! I stocked up on the Flynn's tokens when it first opened.

they should keep elecTRONica because its a great show and you can never get enough tron.

Unless you're in a movie theatre, where most audiences felt they'd had more than enough. (That being said, I rather enjoyed Tron Legacy--especially the soundtrack.)

Before elecTRONica they had this disaster called GLOW FEST and it was the worst. I wanted to leave. It was like a RAVE that you could not escape. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh they should keep elecTRONica because its a great show and you can never get enough tron.

The concept of Glowfest want bad, just poor execution. Tron looks cooler, but has much less of a party atmosphere, where Glowfest could play all sorts of different music.

I preferred Glowfest for the more club atmosphere, but tron for its cooler looks. If they do this again in the future I hope they can marry the two concept together better and create a truly awesome area to have fun.

they should keep elecTRONica because its a great show and you can never get enough tron.

Unless you're in a movie theatre, where most audiences felt they'd had more than enough. (That being said, I rather enjoyed Tron Legacy--especially the soundtrack.)

I second this.

TRON: Legacy may have been a little boring, but the soundtrack made up for it:

Hans Zimmer + Daft Punk = Incredible

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/07/new-turnstiles-open-at-disney-california-adventure-park-today/

As we’ve been sharing here on the Disney Parks Blog, there are even more changes coming for Disney California Adventure park over the next year – especially toward the front of the park. Today guests can see the first bit of this exciting makeover as we’ve just unveiled the brand-new turnstiles that will welcome them each day.

Inspired by the iconic Pan Pacific Auditorium, the turnstiles will set the stage for the new Disney California Adventure park entrance. Buena Vista Street will transport guests to Los Angeles as Walt Disney found it when he first arrived in California, with buildings inspired by structures that existed during the 1920s and ‘30s – including the Pan Pacific Auditorium. A landmark structure in the Fairfax District of Los Angeles, the auditorium was the premiere location for indoor public events until it closed after almost 40 years in 1972.

Designed by the Los Angeles architectural firm Wurdeman and Becket, the auditorium itself was a modest wooden structure with seating for only 6,000 people; however, the building’s façade was hailed as one of the finest examples of Streamline Moderne architecture in the United States. The four stylized towers and flagpoles were meant to evoke upswept aircraft fins.

One of the principal architects on the Pan Pacific Auditorium, Welton Becket, was a neighbor of Walt Disney’s and went on to become very influential in future Disney projects. It was Becket who suggested to Walt that he use his own artists – not an architectural firm – to design, plan and build Disneyland, and it was this advice that led to the creation of WED Enterprises (now Walt Disney Imagineering). Later, Welton Becket Associates (formed in 1949 after Walter Wurdeman’s death) designed Disney’s Contemporary Hotel at the Walt Disney World Resort, though Becket himself did not live to see it completed.

On May 1, 1989, a nearly full-size replica of the Pan Pacific Auditorium façade opened as the main entrance to Disney’s Hollywood Studios at the Walt Disney World Resort in Florida. Sadly, little more than three weeks later on May 24, the original building was destroyed in a fire.

As Buena Vista Street continues to take shape at Disney California Adventure park, there are more exciting transformations that will be taking place. On Sunday, the Golden Gate Bridge, which guests now pass underneath when entering the park, will begin to make way for a re-creation of the historic Glendale-Hyperion Bridge. We’ll have more details on this project next week on the Disney Parks Blog, so be sure to check back!

dca123234LARGE.jpg.4010c99fcb4ab397be5a923f85234b52.jpg

dca234345LARGE.jpg.3eb70fe6adacb0a0b2f361d29c81edd2.jpg

Well I had the chance to walk through the new gates yesterday on their grand opening day. They did a great job, the new entrance is a nice first step to the eventual redo of the entire front end of the park.

The Carthay Circle construction is proceeding at a good pace as well. The park was fairly crowded, but with fast passes the lines were manageable. The Little Mermaid had about a 30 minute wait during the afternoon.

Overall the endless construction continues all over the park, but a year from now it will all be done!

Several pages back, there is a listing of other projects post-Carsland that are all in the rumor stage at this point. I don't think DCA will be without some level on attraction construction for at least another several years. I am really interested to see how much of the DL crowd will convert over into regular DCA customers once Carsland is finished.

Mini TR, Went to the parks yesterday to check out the newly opened areas of the park, I must say it's quite nice to not have so many construction walls at the back of the park (they are all at the front now making an even bigger eyesore as you walk in) So here are a couple of pics.

550667100_NewEntrance.jpg.e923effa7667355741a8ef24522872e3.jpg

The new Entrance looks nice, but I wish they could have picked something OTHER then what they already did for Disney's Hollywood Studios in Florida. I also miss the big California letters!

983121262_Carthaycircle.jpg.ec4549e8f6aa2cb6ca5e9888be6d545b.jpg

Construction on the Carthay Circle Theater is progressing nicely. Construction on the area means you have to go all the way around Condor Flats and Grizzly peak or through Hollywood backlot and Bugs land to get to the other side of the park.

616524660_neweatery.jpg.9b7bccb7a180f9486a0bb262703e53f9.jpg

The new Paradise Pier seating area looks FANTASTIC!

1624180467_Neweatery2.jpg.75fdc162c2737bc0ef4b6c540f34eb7f.jpg

Plenty of seating and some new food options are always a good thing.

1510422319_chickenkabob.jpg.6441a7bb4fe85ec29b2e0d76837d127c.jpg

This is one of the new Mediterranean Skewers, You choose your meat then your sauce and you also get Rice Pilaf, Cucumber Salad and Pita Bread for $10.99. This is the Lemon-Oregano Chicken with Chimichurri (Fresh Herbs, Citrus, Garlic and Olive Oil) it was pretty good if not a bit on the salty side.

686105933_Niceview.jpg.d3d233e5a302606cfdaec93dfec1eee8.jpg

Love World of Color, but I wish they would hide the nozzles during the day!

1620787852_Wonderfulworldofdirt.jpg.4ef36a44564b21930875c539db5209fe.jpg

The Wonderful World of Dirt!

1506753875_NewEntrancenight.jpg.cbe9012a11b38cb779e69a475eab7e7c.jpg

The new Entrance at night

761701440_Night2.jpg.583351d17414c67530e833485aa4fee8.jpg

And another angle cause you need ten pictures of the same thing in order to be taken seriously in the Disney community.

727424149_BigThundermodel.jpg.ab1cbde4b2ea17b4faa7f1dbb976e5ec.jpg

This is a model of Disneyland's Big Thunder Mountain Railroad in the lobby of the Frontier Tower at the Disneyland Hotel.

wallpaper.jpg.96d0376f8dee9b9b0f871e311676ffdf.jpg

NERD ALERT:

This is the Wallpaper in the bathroom of the lobby haha.

drinkie.jpg.66aca74fc922d6072818d11cc7229f02.jpg

When in doubt, Pinkie out!

I can't decide if I like the entrance or not. It looks a bit small (as in areas for guests to enter) and plain to me, and doesn't really match the DCA vibe IMO, especially considering the wide variety of attractions the park has to offer. I don't know, just seems like they could have done more.

As for the other stuff going on around the park, everything looks absolutely fantastic. Very classy, detail oriented, top notch. I believe sometimes they hide the WoC fountains, but I may be wrong. If they don't I also wish they would bring them down when the show is not running, as it ruins the view across the lake when they're up all day.

I too enjoyed the large California letters in front of the park, and I will miss them.

I think the entrance could've been a bit more unique. I mean it looks nice, but aside from "Disney California Adventure" across the top, for all I know I'm going into Disneys Hollywood Studios. California had a ton of architectural options for a new entrance.....

But it still looks nice! The park is coming along nicely.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/07/historic-los-angeles-landmark-inspires-new-disney-california-adventure-park-landmark/

As we mentioned on Friday, work began yesterday at Disney California Adventure park to transform the current Golden Gate Bridge at the park’s entrance into a re-creation of the historic Glendale-Hyperion Bridge. The rendering above shows what the new bridge will look like when it is completed as part of the new Buena Vista Street area.

This new area will bring guests back in time to a classic era in the history of Los Angeles – when Walt Disney first arrived in California. You will practically walk in his footsteps through an environment inspired by iconic Los Angeles buildings and structures of the 1920s and ‘30s, like the Pan Pacific Auditorium (which served as the inspiration for the new park turnstiles that opened on Friday) and the Glendale-Hyperion Bridge.

In early 1927, Walt and Roy Disney moved the newly renamed Walt Disney Studios into its new facility – a one-story, white stucco building at 2719 Hyperion Ave. During the next few years, another Los Angeles landmark was taking shape just a few blocks down Hyperion Ave. – the Glendale-Hyperion Bridge. The bridge is a large, complex structure – still standing today and spanning Interstate 5 from Glendale, Calif., to the Silver Lake area of Los Angeles.

The artist’s rendering above shows the bridge as it will look next year when it is part of Buena Vista Street at Disney California Adventure park, with the Southern California Red Car Trolleys passing underneath and the Carthay Circle Theatre in the distance.

bvs444000LARGE.jpg.833dbfe8cde77d7ce185289bff2b6d39.jpg

bvs111000LARGE.jpg.6565ffd8893025372d5554a4a60de531.jpg

I'm very impressed with how the makeover is going. It's wonderful to see Disney return to something a bit more immersive, especially since we know they can still do it (DisneySea, Expedition:Everest, DAK in general...). Paradise Pier always felt a little odd, considering it was neither a "romantic" version of the boardwalks down on the coast nor was it unique; it was pretty useless with its cardboard-y theming. Seeing it turn into something out of the 20s with its gingerbread-style architecture and (gasp)BEAUTY is wonderful and a return to what Disney does best: cohesive, immersive environments. With the retention of the the existing 20s aspects (Golden Dreams building, Golden Zephyr, Screamin, Fun Wheel) and the addition of more, it's finally turning into a true Disney area.

The entrance looks like it'll be great. The postcard schtick was kitschy the first time you see it, but got old fast and was lost on a lot of people. The only downside to the new entrance is the loss of the letters, which were pretty great. Otherwise, seeing an immersive, well-themed main street area will be nice, and a better weenie than a giant hubcap sun. Again, COHESION.

Carsland looks to be great, and it's awesome to see Disney trying a large E-Ticket for California that isn't a watered-down version of "Good Tower." The rest of it looks like it'll be nice as well.

Overall, I'm excited, as you probably can tell, and I hope this addition is a step in the right direction for DisneyParks and a revival in Imagineering.