TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Movies, Movies, Movies.....

robbalvey

The Wolfman - 7/10 Really fun. Gory. Elaborate sets. Awesome use of makeup as opposed to constant CGI (I see you James Cameron). Only problem is that at times it's intentionally cheesy and somewhat funny, and then it takes itself very seriously. Also, the final scene felt rushed.

I think that sums it up pretty well. I enjoyed Wolfman, too, but thought its main weakness was the "romantic" angle--it doesn't really have time to develop convincingly (unlike in the old Chaney version). Still worth checking out. Aw-o-o-o-o-o-o!

Recently rented Surrogates. It was slow and pretty boring. I was not impressed. It was an interesting concept, but a slow story.

Also rented The Time Traveler's Wife and loved it! My husband was expecting it to be a chick flick, but he thought it was crazy good. A little hard to follow in some parts (though time travel movies usually are). Awesome actors, though, and a great story.

So last night I caught two Zombie Comedy movies...

I don't even know what to say about them, I can't figure out if I should recommend them or not. I mean they were bad, I think they were funny bad but I'm not totally sure, also it was quite late at night so watching these in the daytime while not very tired may not have the same effect...

The first one was "The Mad" Starring Billy Zane. It was about meat that made people turn into zombies, but the meat could also creep around and kill the people?!?!? It was VERY odd.

Second up was "Tokyo Zombie" this was a dubbed Japanese movie about Tokyo in the near future where they have a giant mountain of garbage that has issues. Two losers that practice jujitsu a lot and accidentally kill their boss, then go bury him in this trash mountain (where apparently a lot of people bury random people) well all of a sudden all of the people that have been buried in this mountain come back as zombies and wreak havoc on Tokyo. Again, I wish I spoke and understood Japanese cause I'm guessing this movie would have been a ton better without the obvious terrible dubbing.

Has anyone seen these?!!?

I loved Shutter Island. I'm not sure what everyone was expecting but I thought it to be a near perfect psychological thriller.

Don't get me wrong, I actually enjoyed the movie. I thought the best part was trying to figure out what was really going on for the entire length of it.

Wolfman (1941 Version with Lon Chaney)

I hadn't seen it in probably 20 years, but wanted to "Refresh" my memory since we just saw the new one. Honestly ... I know the original is a classic, but the new one is SO MUCH better. When it was over my son said it wasn't scary, but cheesy. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, most of the old monster movies were and that's fine.

Also, for all the complaints about Benecio Del Toro's lack of an english accent, well, Lon Chaney didn't have one either. The story is somewhat similar to the new one, but I think the newer version has more of a twist (the original didn't have any).

Still, it's a great part of the classic Universal Library, but I would like to see it get a nice cleaning up for if/when it comes out on Blu Ray. The DVD transer wasn't great.

I saw The Wolfman this past weekend, and I am not so sure about it. I think I actually like the old one better. I did like the gore in the new one, but it took forever to see it (the gore). I guess I was expecting more. And there is something about B&W movies that really gets me..especially Horror movies. Night of the Living Dead (1968) still freaks me out-so much that I either have to watch it in the daytime, or have every light on in my house.

Then I bought Zombieland--I laughed so hard I thought I was going to pee. I thought the entire part with Bill Murray was hilarious. Right now I'm just waiting for the new Nightmare on Elm Street to come out...and I guess they're re-do-ing Hellraiser..AND they are re-making Halloween 3-it's not going to be like "The Season of the Witch," it's supposedly going to be a continuation of the Michael Myers saga..at least I hope so!

I just watched Pandorum tonight. I'm very particular about what movies I want to watch. I begrudgingly watched this movie because of the "been there seen that" vibe I got from the trailer. I was pleasantly surprised though. What I thought would essentially end up being a rip off of Alien, ended up being a pretty decent movie with enough unique things in it to make it stand apart. Ben Foster was really good in it.

7/10

COP OUT

Man, this recession must be hittin' everybody pretty hard. Five years ago, Bruce Willis wouldn't have touched a movie like this. The movie was "meh" itself, but for the actors attached, I'd expect better. Whether Hollywood isn't paying writers what they should, whether the actors need the cash or a mixture of all factors, it just wasn't as good as it could've been.

COP OUT

Man, this recession must be hittin' everybody pretty hard. Five years ago, Bruce Willis wouldn't have touched a movie like this. The movie was "meh" itself, but for the actors attached, I'd expect better. Whether Hollywood isn't paying writers what they should, whether the actors need the cash or a mixture of all factors, it just wasn't as good as it could've been.

Ha, they actually filmed that movie in my neighborhood in Brooklyn. I could tell it was going to be horrible

when they changed the name from A Couple of Dick , to Cop Out. Just gave me a bad vibe.

I saw the Hurt L*cker a few weeks ago and all I can say is wow. That movie is INCREDIBLE!! The action, the suspense, everything wow. The story was all in the soldiers face and it made the movie feel like a documentry. It made you see like the soldiers see, not the media. Outstanding, go out and see this movie!!

10/10

And on a slightly different note, I checked out 2012 to see what the big fuss was about.

My god, was it the best (or second best, after Bruno) comedy of 2009.

I have not laughed that hard in a VERY long time.

I did loose interest about halfway through, which rarely happens with me, but still couldn't stop laughing.

For pete's sake, If I can sit through Superman Returns, it takes alot to loose my interest.

And I didn't give a crap about any of the characters...at all.

If they can survive driving a limo missing a door through a collapsing office building at a 45 degree angle with glass everywhere and landing on the cement at a speed so fast the car would fall apart without even a scratch, then the end of the world is nothing to them.

I think I've lost faith in humanity after seeing that this was one of the most popular movies of 2009....Ugh.

^I'm sorry you had to sit through that. I made the mistake of spending money on seeing that when it came out. You've pretty much described the movie's character pretty well. I've never seen ordinary people survive so many impossible situations in a movie. The visual effects are absolutely gorgeous, but nothing about the movie other than that had any long-lasting appeal. Heck, I was uninterested about twenty minutes into it.

On another note, I saw Shutter Island last weekend. I really enjoyed it despite figuring the 'twist' out about thirteen seconds into the movie. Regardless, it was still a good movie. The ending still has me questioning his...state of mind...but I think that was the point. Hopefully that makes sense to the people that have seen it as I don't want to give anything away. I'd give it a solid 7.5/10.

Alice in Wonderland - 6/10

Meh. Helena Bonham Carter was the only actor who really gave a solid performance. The dialogue was unnecessarily bizarre. Any joke or attempt at humor fell completely flat. Good visuals and soundtrack though

We went and saw it in 3-D yesterday and liked it, although the lines were unbelievable. I was soooo glad that I pre-purchased tickets online because every 3-D showing was sold out for the day/night.

Overall, I felt that the visuals in Avatar were a bit better, but this movies effects were still amazing. I could not help but humming me some 'White Rabbit' during parts of the movie and was wondering if anyone in the audience was stoned or on LSD!!

I give it a 7.5/10.

I watched Alice in Wonderland with my girlfriend yesterday.

I honestly have no idea what to say.

It was interesting to watch, but really only because it was so bizarre. The acting wasn't great, though I was a fan of Johnny Depp's performance as the Mad Hatter. The story was very ehh, and some parts dragged on way too long. The visual effects and 3D were excellent, as is today's standard.

But overall, it was yet wasn't Alice in Wonderland. It had the characters, yes, but the feel was just so off. It was too menacing, too dark to be

Wonderland, and all the charm from the original movie was completely stripped away. But what else do you expect in a remake made by Tim Burton?

Overall, I wouldn't really recommend this movie. It was just bleh.

I personally loved Alice and Wonderland, because it was not a kids film, and is not a kids book. Alice and through the Looking Glass are both dark and strange, and Burton brought back this feeling well. I loved the characters like the dormouse with his strange teeth, or the crazy looking Mad Hatter. The film was meant to be dark, and what I love about Burton is that he sees something as somewhat of a canvas for his dark imagination, and he goes against the normal kids movie format. The acting was good, and I agree with the end being a bit unnecessary, but it was a cool film. I feel as if Lewis Carol would have preferred this version to the other one because although this is not part of his story it is dark and sinister in a whimsical way, such as Carol's brilliant imagination. 8/10

I may be a bit biased though as I love Tim Burton as a director, and have enjoyed most everything he's done. I am a "Nightmare Mega Fan" so yeah, just saying if you don't like his previous work this id probably not your cup of tea.

Mixed emotions about Alice in Wonderland for me. I thought it was darker than Disney films usually are, but there were a lot of unnecessary, silly things in it that just felt really awkward and messed up the 'flow' of the movie (that dance scene that was mentioned before being a prime example). It just felt like, to me, it was trying to be a more dark version of Alice in Wonderland while still being as kid-friendly as possible. It was just really confusing on whether or not it wanted to be a kids movie, or something darker. The visuals, however, were amazing. Like Avatar, I didn't see it in 3D the first time around, but I'd love to go back to see it again in IMAX 3D just for the visuals. I was completely taken by the 'look' of the whole movie, from the Red Queen's big head to the White Queen's overly white castle (which hurt my eyes), it was all beautiful and nice to look at.

I'd give the movie a 7.5/10. It was a fun movie and it was very entertaining. And while it wasn't what I hoped it would be, the visuals were mighty impressive, and I'd reccomend it just for the sake of looking at all the eye candy.

Like a lot of other people here, I saw Alice in Wonderland over the weekend. So far, it is probably my favorite movie of 2010, but it is the only movie I've seen this year so that doesn't mean much. The movie is probably my favorite Alice adaptation of the three I've seen, but I would still say it is only a 7/10.

The film's beginning makes the movie almost seem like another version of the story, but it quickly turns out to be something quite different. I really liked how they managed to create a unique story involving all of the characters everyone knows without making any characters seem like they were just thrown in there for screentime. The overall feel of the movie works with Tim Burton's dark style, and most of the scenes have some type of dark quality to them (except at the White Queen's castle). Most of the actors/voice artists did a good job, and I really thought Johnny Depp created a completely different version of the Mad Hatter from previous versions. It works with this story well, especially since he is in more than the two or three scenes the character typically appears in. However, the dance was a bit weird and unnecessary, and I'm very glad that none of the other characters participated (when watching the film, I thought for a few seconds they might all begin dancing). My only other complaint about the film is that it seems to be a bit too short and rushed, leaving some concepts to be inadequately explored.

Overall, Alice in Wonderland is a good family movie, and is definitely worth seeing. I don't think there's anything else out right now that is better, and, although it probably won't win any awards, Alice in Wonderland is a pretty entertaining film.