TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Missing Boy Found Dead in Russian Pool Pump Chamber

MOSCOW, Russia (Reuters) -- Workers at a water park in central Russia have found the body of a 14-year-old boy in a swimming pool pump chamber three weeks after he went missing, Russian newspapers reported on Monday.

Staff at the amusement park in the city of Kazan checked the pump on Saturday evening because it had been spewing out cloudy water and not working as normal, the Kommersant newspaper said. Inside the pump chamber, workers found Sergei Matveyev's body.

Prosecutors believe Matveyev may have been sucked through a faulty grille into the chamber while diving underwater when he and his family visited the park on July 2, the daily said.

An extensive search failed to find Matveyev and until the body was discovered, police believed he had been kidnapped.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Staff at the amusement park in the city of Kazan checked the pump on Saturday evening because it had been spewing out cloudy water and not working as normal, the Kommersant newspaper said.

That's gross, and freaky. Very unfortunate.

-Nick

There are just so many things wrong with this...and one of the reasons not to go to crappy amusement and water parks.

First off, there was a grill missing on a large filter pump system.

Secondly, no one noticed a 14 year old boy getting sucked into one.

Lastly, that the water has been contaminated with decomp for three weeks now and no one noticed.

Wow, just wow.

God, this kinda makes me scared of wave pools now. Creepy how they still operated the ride even though they didn't notice a dead body floating there.

I hope I don't get a nightmare tonight and I feel sorry for the family.

There are just so many things wrong with this...and one of the reasons not to go to crappy amusement and water parks.

Lastly, that the water has been contaminated with decomp for three weeks now and no one noticed.

Wow, just wow.

Could not have put it any better myself.

I don't recommend a TPR Russia trip after seeing the lax safety standards that must be in place over there. This should NEVER happen. The grates need to be checked more often than they obviously were. This is horrible and if I had a say the waterpark would be closed down or at least the managment fired and charged with manslaughter.

-James Dillaman

Wow, just wow.

I agree. The most disturbing part was how he spent 3 weeks in a pump dead! I mean...for those 3 weeks, guests have been swimming in contaminated water! You would also think that they would check the grills on pools to make sure they are safe and not rusting.

Also, how big are the grills? This one had to have been pretty big to suck a 14yr all the way into the chambers.

God that is awful, must have been horrible for the family still thinking he was alive after being kidnapped.

It must have been a hugh pump to end up sucking a kid in, surely there should be censors or a switch off if this happens.

Just shows how some countries still operate.

That's seriously sad.

Anyone watch the movie: Citizen X? After watching that movie, it doesn't surprise me a 14 yr old could go missing at a park and no one looks in the obvious place.

The pump for the system was probably from an abandoned nuclear power station from the Ukraine.

Russia does not have deaths in parks: That is a decadent Western phenomenon. (circa 1980's)

That must have been a pretty traumatic discovery for whoever was sent to fix the pump.

This looks like a real life situation from in the movie Jaws when the diver discovers the dead guy's head underwater. Situations like this freak the h*** out of me.

God, this kinda makes me scared of wave pools now. Creepy how they still operated the ride even though they didn't notice a dead body floating there.

I hope I don't get a nightmare tonight and I feel sorry for the family.

The body was not floating in the pool. It was in the section behind the wave pool where the pump machine creates the wave. I wouldn't be surprised if the body was horribly disfigured by the heavy machinery.

My worst fear is being trapped underwater and this would be such a horrible way to die.

-Sam