TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Toy Story Mania! (Plus Other Cool Disney News) Thread

I believe I read an Al Lutz article awhile back talking about the indoor entertainment complex. I can't remember if kansas was specifically mentioned or not in the article, but it was noted that the amusement armd of the Disney company was looking forward to building such things to expand beyond the parks themselves.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

^ Was the Little Mermaid actually confirmed for 2009? Somehow I doubt it, considering the apparent scope of the ride and how much infrastructure they have to change to accommodate it. Seems more like a 2010 or 2011 opening.

"Hollywood Pictures Backlot

Hollywood Pictures Backlot will house several ticketed events in the future. Disney film directors, writers, and animators will occasionally be in the area to inform guests about their careers. The popular family show "Playhouse Disney" will be updated, and the Hyperion Theater will be demolished to make up space for the construction of a new Rock 'n' Roller Coaster." From Wikipedia

I am SO excited already I hope this comes true!!! I love the Florida one. Hollywood Pictures Backlot really needs it! Hopefully our version will be the best one ever. I can predict it will be the next big e-ticket after the Carsland!

^ Was the Little Mermaid actually confirmed for 2009? Somehow I doubt it, considering the apparent scope of the ride and how much infrastructure they have to change to accommodate it. Seems more like a 2010 or 2011 opening.

I agree.

I had the understanding that Golden Dreams will close before the year is out and construction would begin, sometime after F**kin' Mania opens in June. That being said, we all know how long the construction takes. I mean, "F**kin Mania" came about in December of '06, and construction was well underway then.

If Mermaid is anything near the scope of Mania, construction will inevitably last into 2010, in my opinion.

-Jahan

I was at DCA a few times this week and saw that they have been doing more and more vehicle testing on Toy Story Mania and there's a good chance you can catch a view of the cars coming out of the show building and into the unload area if you look across from the waterfront by Golden Dreams.

I'm pretty sure Golden Dreams will be closing in the fall, as well as the restrooms in the San Francisco area but who knows how long construction will take as they've got to put up a whole new show building.

I'm looking forward to the new Mermaid dark ride, definately original and it was my first movie I saw in theaters as a child.

I'm looking forward to the new Mermaid dark ride, definitely original and it was my first movie I saw in theaters as a child

wow i feel older now, and with that off the subject bring back Centurions!

Hmm i wonder when mania will plan on the AP's sneak peak

More News + Picture

Courtesy of Mouseplanet.com

Toy Story Mania confirmed as attraction title, details emerge

Walt Disney Imagineering Executive Vice President and Senior Creative Executive Tom Fitzgerald confirmed Friday that Toy Story Mania will be the name of the new attraction under construction at the former site of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire – Play It at the Disney-MGM Studios and along Paradise Pier at Disney's California Adventure.

Umm...dont they already a simliar ride in the Magic Kingdom w/Buzz Lightyear?

^The technology for Toy Story/Midway/F***in' Mania is different from that of Buzz. Instead of using cutouts and three-dimensional figures as targets, Mania will use video technology similar to that of Where's the Fire at Epcot (or so I understand).

Aren't Everest and Thunder Mountain similar? Pirates and Maelstrom?

Toy Story Mania is an interactive dark ride like Buzz, the similarities end there. TSM uses interactive 3D screens and you use the launcher for a variety of different games, you're not just shooting targets like in Buzz.

I hear a lot of guests talking about how it's weird DCA is adding another shooting dark ride based on toy story when Buzz is right next door. Besides the fact that Toy Story Mania will have the 3D effects, Astro Blasters ony used the Buzz Lightyear, Emperor Zurg, and Little Green men characters.

Toy Story Mania has carnival games hosted by the remaining popular characters from the movies like Woody and Hamm so there's a lot of Toy Story potential still untouched to use in the new ride. Of course, Toy Story 3, which was in production was hugely responsible for the creation of this ride. Even though the movie has been cancelled, I still see the ride as being a huge hit.

I hear a lot of guests talking about how it's weird DCA is adding another shooting dark ride based on toy story when Buzz is right next door. Besides the fact that Toy Story Mania will have the 3D effects, Astro Blasters ony used the Buzz Lightyear, Emperor Zurg, and Little Green men characters.

Toy Story Mania has carnival games hosted by the remaining popular characters from the movies like Woody and Hamm so there's a lot of Toy Story potential still untouched to use in the new ride. Of course, Toy Story 3, which was in production was hugely responsible for the creation of this ride. Even though the movie has been cancelled, I still see the ride as being a huge hit.

^^4D effects from what I hear, and who said TS3 isn't still in production for release in 2010?

^That thing should be put out just like that for halloween and it should breathe fire!

• 1 month later...

Those are some great photos! I was curious to see what the Mr. Potato Head looked like completed.

Yesterday outside the Indy building there were some Paradise Pier CMs recruiting Indy CMs to work Toy Story Mania (the two rides use a very similar console system). One of them was my former Railroad trainer, and she told me she was able to ride through the circuit but the 4D effects were not all up and running. Can't wait till cast preview days! Should be here soon.

• 1 month later...

I don't think that you can base your judgment on the video alone. Remember, the quality isn't terrific, we're missing out on a lot of the 3D stuff, and from my experience watching a YouTube video isn't the best way to experience an attraction.

And for those that want to post that you can play this on your Wii, I ask this: Does you Wii have 3D technology, has the ability to move and spin, and have state-of-the-art video and surround sound? If you do, I want to know.

I'm not sure what I was expecting from this attraction, but I think it was a LOT more than that. I looks more like something that would be PERFECT for DisneyQuest, but as a major attraction for a park? I'm not sure.

Then again that begs the question, is this SUPPOSED to be a "major?"

I think I was expecting something more like Buzz Lightyear Astroblasters that had the screens incorporated into the sets, not that the TV screens *ARE* the sets. I guess I was expecting "Spider Man meets Men In Black." I think I was wrong.

I know you can't judge it on a video, which is fine, I'm not passing judgement, but you can "learn" a lot from a video, and what I've learned from watching that is that I need to lower my expectation....

--Robb "I feel like I can play this on my Wii..." Alvey

^Well, Midway Mania was not actually supposed to be a major attraction from the start.

And with the whole video screen thing-the early reviews coming out of WDW are VERY positive, and the general consensus is that the 3D effects do their job to diminish the whole video screen effect.