TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Golden Nugget Mine Ride @ Morey's Pier

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those people who have not heard of this ride or not got the Credit:

I emailed Morey's Pier (Dino.Fazio@moreyspiers.com) regarding this ride and they replied:

The ride has been closed since 1998 when the previous owners of the pier sold the property so us.

Most of the rides were removed with the sale, leaving just a couple behind, including the Golden Nugget.

We were and are not interested in developing another full amusement pier at this time, so we are considering moving the ride to one of our developed properties.

The Golden Nugget Mine Ride is a steel tracked coaster with wood supports that resides in a "Mountain" themed building.

It was built in the late 1950's. It had numerous props and tricks that coincided with the "mine" theme. In addition, there are two small coaster drops and trains with articulated axles that give riders the perception that the train will fall off the track.

It is one of a kind with a very Disney quality. We hope that we can bring it back to life, but the age and level of deterioration are limiting factors, so we are looking at it from all angles.

------------------------------------------------

What are your thoughts of making this ride working again as it is a one-of-a-kind Dark ride...

I grew up in Wildwood NJ, so I am very familiar with the GN. In its time, it was an OK ride on Hunt's Pier. There was great woodie there called The Flyer also. The pier was a classic, and sadly, it is no more. GN was one of my first coasters ever. It was heavily themed, but over the years, they stopped taking care of it, so things stopped working. I would like to see them move the ride, as part of historic Wildwood, but I know it wont ever happen. Its only a matter of time before someone burns it down, like some kids did to Dracula's Castle.

It was really more of a dark ride than a coaster. It really didn't do much and kind of reminded me of Blackpool's Gold Mine ride, but slightly faster. I think I only rode it once and I'm not even sure I counted it as a coaster on my list. IMO, it was really borderline.

I guess the ride has some sort of historical significance to someone, and I remember at one point they were going to move it, but I'm sure there is a reason why they haven't.

I had totally forgotten that this ride was SBNO, and if it got demolished, I wouldn't have even noticed.

I really can't think of too many SBNO rides that really would be worth saving, to be honest. Most of them if they were worth saving to begin with, wouldn't be SBNO. Screechin' Eagle was really good, but I'm pretty sure that ride isn't ever going to re-open. I would have liked to see Tidal Wave which is setting in SFMW's parking lot to come back to life, but then again that really was the worst of the shuttle loops, so it's really not that big of a loss, and Zonga...what ever happened to that? And since the ride was neutered does it even matter?

In fact, the only two coasters I can think of that I felt "wow, what a shame" when I heard they were closing without having a new home was the Double Loop and Mack Bobsled from Kobe Portipialand. Anyone know where those went? At least BMRX got saved.

--Robb

Anyone who knows me knows I have a soft spot for the ol' Golden Nugget. I can see Robb's point about not missing it if it was torn down much in the same way I could care less if SFMM ever closed down or some classic ride in CA met its ultimate demise. I'd be disappointed but not personally effected. Golden Nugget is not the greatest coaster or even dark ride ever built but it was my first coaster and something I would ride over and over again with my dad when I was a little kid. I have great memories of it as do countless of Wildwood visitors who would be crushed if it was ever removed. It's an icon of sorts on the boardwalk even if it is SBNO. I guess there's always that hope it'll be moved or restored. Aside from the memories, the ride is truly unique and a classic. It's the only steel coaster ever built by John Allen and the trains are restraint-free. There isn't much coaster action but there are a couple small drops. In its hey-day, there were some excellent classic Bill Tracey stunts including a rotating barrel, falling barrels and a freaky section of complete darkness where the train continues to roll and then a stunt appears out of nowhere. When Dinosaur Beach bought Hunt's/Conko's, they rethemed it and removed some of the classic stunts. Still, it's worth saving and restoring. I hope one day the Morey's have enough support and funds to move and/or re-open it before it meets a similar fate as Dracula's Castle.

I was down at Moreys back in Sept. The pier its on is still there.. For the most part (closer to the ocean its really trashed)

Moreys has a few rides racked up in the back.. And some leftover doo-wopper track was back there... The coaster was still in place but it was hard to get up to get a good photo of.

As for the front of the pier it sits on.. Morey has put in like 5 or 6 diffferent gokart tracks and a skyscraper ride.

My first trip to Morey's was last year so I never got a chance to ride it but what I don't understand is, that since there are some upcharges already on that pier but it's not a regular pier with rides, why not just leave the ride where it is and get the ride open and include it with the wristband option for the other 3 piers and or admission with tickets like every other ride. I think people would be willing to talk to the pier just for that ride especially since if I remember correctly, it's between the pier with Great Nor'Easter and the pier with Sea Serpent so most people walk past the pier anyway

I remember this coaster, but I sadly never ridden it. I loved Hunt's Pier, and I even loved Dinosaur Beach! The theming wasnt bad, they had a great idea and it really didnt look too bad! I wish it would have survived. The back side of that pier looks horrible where the river rafting ride was, now filled with sand and gross water. There was a watercoaster back there too, and a log flume. Im not sure what ever happened to the "Escape from Dinosaur Beach" dark ride, I remember seeing it for sale a while ago. I really hope they make this pier into something besides go karts. Theres already Sportland Pier and I think this one deserves to be like it used to as Hunts and DB.

Id love to get my hands on the little bastards that torched the castle. That thing looked so cool! and the walkthrough and moat rides were pretty cool! It was such a classic looking old castle. I remember riding into wildwood every year growing up seeing that HUGE looming facade, I was terrified of it when i was little! Im glad the waterpark is doing well there, I was also sad to see Nickels go, but the waterpark seems like alot of fun and its better then go karts or condos (which now reside not even 2 blocks from there now... )

-Allan "867-5309" Bray

Anyone who knows me knows I have a soft spot for the ol' Golden Nugget. I can see Robb's point about not missing it if it was torn down much in the same way I could care less if SFMM ever closed down or some classic ride in CA met its ultimate demise. I'd be disappointed but not personally effected.

Hey, trust me....we wouldn't even be dissapointed!

--Robb "Who has zero attachment to anything California park related!" Alvey

• 2 years later...

It's official: the Golden Nugget will not re-open in NJ at Morey's Piers.

Here's the press release issued today:

In Memory of the Golden Nugget

Public Farewell Ceremony on Saturday, January 31, at Noon

Wildwood, NJ, December 10, 2008 – The Morey Organization announced plans today for a public ceremony in memory of the classic boardwalk attraction -- The Golden Nugget – in advance of a phased removal of the ride from Hunt’s Pier. The ceremony is slated for Saturday, January 31, at noon.

“This is a sad loss for all those who fondly remember the wonderful Golden Nugget,” noted Dino Fazio, Director of Pier Operations. “It was my first roller coaster ride as a boy, and it’s hard for me to see it go.”

Jack Morey, Executive Vice President of The Morey Organization, said, “We continually wrestle with that tension between nostalgia and innovation. We gave serious thought to how we might restore the Golden Nugget to its former glory, in the context of our long range plans. Our concepts ranged from a complete restoration in its current location to relocating it to another more thriving amusement pier to creating a museum. In the end, the old ride was just not viable given New Jersey State regulations and Industry safety standards. While we are grieved to see it go, we know that the removal of this classic coaster will make way for something greater, worthy of the Golden Nugget’s memory. We invite all those who hold fond memories of the Golden Nugget to join us for a ceremony in memory of this classic amusement ride.”

Will Morey, President and CEO of The Morey Organization, noted, “The Golden Nugget represents the first golden age of the boardwalk, an age pioneered by greats with such family names as Hunt, Barnes, Coombs, Way, and Ramagosa. As the second generation of the Morey Family, my brother and I recognize our responsibility as trustees of this unique culture, and we do not take this decision lightly.”

The Golden Nugget Mine Ride originally opened in July of 1960 on the newly constructed ocean side section of Hunt’s Pier. The Golden Nugget was built three stories high with the top floor giving riders a mine car ride through the “desert.” The classic coaster ride was specially constructed for Hunt’s Pier by the Philadelphia Toboggan Company and was engineered by John Allen. Bill Tracy designed the ride’s theme through Amusement Displays.

Though it is a shame to see this attraction go, it seemed like it's time had passed. After seeing the ride during our visit this past Summer to Morey's, I was definitely amazed to see the structure's incredible facade and rooftop theming, but I didn't think (from looks alone) that this would ever re-open.

Anyone who knows me knows I have a soft spot for the ol' Golden Nugget. I can see Robb's point about not missing it if it was torn down much in the same way I could care less if SFMM ever closed down or some classic ride in CA met its ultimate demise. I'd be disappointed but not personally effected.

Hey, trust me....we wouldn't even be dissapointed!

--Robb "Who has zero attachment to anything California park related!" Alvey

If the Disney parks stayed open and got Tatsu, Riddler, and batman I would not like any coaster in California. Also if Ghostrider is ever restored move it to Disney and theme the rides accordingly and we have an awesome park.

California kind of sucks, at least were getting terminator.

Kinda sad to see this go..

Growing up in Wildwood NJ, I used to go to Hunt's Pier ALL the time. I have fond memories of the train, the wooden coaster, the log flume, and my favorite, the Keystone Kops. The Golden Nugget was one of the first coasters I ever rode and it was always a favorite.

When the Moreys bought the pier, there were high hopes they would bring the classic back. I think the Moreys are really dropping the ball on this one letting it go, the Nugget will be missed. I just wish I could get back to NJ one last time to get some photos.

http://www.angelfire.com/nj/wwbysea/HUNT/goldennugget.html

A great shame to lose such a unique ride and it was the only made by PTC. So painful to know the discovery of asbestos in the building.

http://www.coastergallery.com/2007/Dinosaur03.html

Hope the announcement isn't "let's tear down the GN building, and stuff and mount the props somewhere". I hope it's more like "let's see if we can fix the thing or at least find a way to preserve it".

Bud Hunt (and I'm sure John Allen, Bill Tracy, Bill C. Hunt and Guy Hunt, too) would roll over in his grave if the Nugget was torn down. PTC is still in business, wouldn't they have the ability to repair it and possibly build new trains if necessary? And, just seal all the asbestos in, don't attempt to remove or disturb it.

In their plans for the new coaster they showed the Nugget in the plans with the coaster coexisting with it. The proposed years for that plan would be 2010-2012. Which led me to believe they were going to save it.

The picture is below, See the Nugget there? The coaster wasn't supposed to be built for a few years, yet they included the Nugget in the plans. What does that mean?

http://www.amusementpics.com/Wildwood/WWCBO08/071208-185.jpg

If possible can someone post some recent pictures of the cars, ride layout before it comes down early next year.

071208-185.thumb.jpg.c568630dff5b8229cd7ca1823562fe08.jpg

New plans which were draw up for the pier

DinoBeach3.thumb.jpg.ff462def2524d1ede3958410b6bcb5c3.jpg

CoasterPhoto.jpg.a435784b8c289aa0884d7ffeefb1d8e6.jpg

View in the 60's of people Q'ing for the ride

I went to an event at Morey's a year ago, where they wanted enthusiast's thoughts on the new coaster they're planning, and they took a tour group back through the maintenance area where the Gold Nugget was being stored. It was interesting to see it up close, although all the openings were sealed with plywood. I was hoping they would talk about their intentions for the ride, but they merely said "we don't have any plans for this ride at the time." Seeing that this was more than a year ago, this didn't come as much of a surprise, but it's still sad news. This ride looked like a true one of a kind.

Sorry I didn't see this post before I made a new one. I loved that ride and it will be sad to see it go. When something is a part of your childhood and it is taken away from you, it can be upsetting. Alas, life goes on and if they build a new coaster in it's place that would be wonderful. Let's hope for the best.

Golden Nugget – Substantial Portions Saved For Reuse

Trains and Tracks go to Undisclosed Person

Wildwood, NJ, December 18, 2008 – The Morey Organization announced today that substantial portions of the historic Golden Nugget mine ride would be saved for reuse prior to the removal of the exterior structure from the former Hunt’s Pier. An individual, who has asked not to be identified as of yet, will take ownership of the tracks and trains and remove them for reuse prior to the public pre-demolition ceremony slated for Saturday, January 31, at noon (more details to follow).

Jack Morey, Executive Vice President of The Morey Organization, said, “As we realized that the Golden Nugget was not viable for Morey’s Piers, we began looking for an appropriate person within our industry who might be capable of reusing the tracks and trains. Now, I am very thrilled to say that this ride will be placed in the most capable of hands. However, this person requests that we not divulge their identity as of yet, and we will honor that request.”

The Golden Nugget Mine Ride originally opened in July of 1960 on the newly constructed ocean side section of Hunt’s Pier. The Golden Nugget was built three stories high with the top floor giving riders a mine car ride through the “desert.” The classic coaster ride was specially constructed for Hunt’s Pier by the Philadelphia Toboggan Company and was engineered by John Allen. Bill Tracy designed the ride’s theme through Amusement Displays.