TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Golden Nugget Mine Ride @ Morey's Pier

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jack Morey, Executive Vice President of The Morey Organization, said, “As we realized that the Golden Nugget was not viable for Morey’s Piers, we began looking for an appropriate person within our industry who might be capable of reusing the tracks and trains. Now, I am very thrilled to say that this ride will be placed in the most capable of hands. However, this person requests that we not divulge their identity as of yet, and we will honor that request.”

Dick Knoebel perhaps?

I question whether the track is really usable..... it's been dormant for so long without regular maintanance.

Despite the statement above I hope the best for this endevour as this ride looks like a truly unique one to experience, I'm just a cautious optimist.

• 1 month later...

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/186/story/381497.html

Wildwood's 'mine' hits end of the line: Golden Nugget ride heads to final departure

By TRUDI GILFILLIAN Staff Writer, 609-463-6716

Published: Friday, January 23, 2009

WILDWOOD - It seems fitting that the Golden Nugget Mine Ride should end its days amid a bone-chilling winter.

Winter, after all, was never its season.

The estimated 1.7 million people who hopped aboard the ride's colorful mine cars came clad in shorts and T-shirts, and they would hardly recognize the ride today.

Gone are the giant cacti that lined the top. Just two of the mine cars are left, and they, too, will soon be on their way.

The brightly painted storefronts and railings are worn, and the paint marking the entrances to places such as "Golden Nugget Shaft #26" is fading away.

But fans of the ride - part roller-coaster, part dark ride - will gather Jan. 31 to say goodbye not to what remains, but to what was.

"We spent every summer on the Boardwalk, and we always rode it," lifelong Wildwood Crest resident Ralph Grassi said.

Grassi, 44, first made his way to the Golden Nugget when he was about 7 years old, and since then he rode it too many times to count.

"What stands out in my mind are the wonderful gimmicks. The Boot Hill. The prospector panning for gold. The giant bats," Grassi said.

The sounds of the ride also are planted firmly in his memory.

"There was a covered wagon with a cow's head and it was mooing," he said. "Then there was the classic whistle that you would hear after the first drop. That is the defining sound for me and so many people I talk to."

"The Talk of the Walk is the Golden Nugget Mine Ride Ride your own mine car and experience thrill after thrill as you drop into unexplored mine shafts. "

The words on the Technicolor brochure beckoned shore visitors to make their way to Hunt's Pier on the Boardwalk from Poplar to Juniper avenues.

The ride made its debut in the summer of 1960, a time when waves still crashed below the now-landlocked pier.

According to the Wildwood Historical Society's collection, John C. Allen of Philadelphia Toboggan Coasters Inc. designed what would become the pier's hottest attraction in conjunction with Harry Witte, the pier's chief engineer, and the ride was built for $100,000.

It was an immediate hit, drawing visitors with its western theme complete with mine cars and skeleton cowboys, and becoming part of so many Wildwood vacation memories.

"This whole pier is a great memory," said Will Morey, president and CEO of the Morey Organization as he walked through the Golden Nugget recently.

With temperatures well below freezing, brothers Will Morey and Jack Morey, the organization's executive vice president, toured the site, recalling the warm memories it holds.

Will Morey ranked the Golden Nugget, along with The Flyer and the Skua Pirate Ship, among his top three favorite rides of the Hunt's Pier-era.

The pier later became known as Conkos Party Pier and later Dinosaur Beach.

The Golden Nugget was reworked with a dinosaur theme, and the neon green colors and foam rock formations from that period remain.

The Moreys purchased the pier in 2000 with hopes of reviving the Golden Nugget, but the costs would be substantial.

The Moreys estimated it would cost from $3 million to $5 million to bring the wooden structure, lined with asbestos, up to today's building codes.

"There are dramatically different codes. It would demand a different building," Will Morey said.

As the two brothers climbed to the top of the ride, Jack Morey explained that what could be saved, such as the mine cars and tracks, has been taken away, leaving behind only a cavernous shell.

The two remaining mine cars will be on hand for the Jan. 31 ceremony to give enthusiasts a chance to snap one more photo with their favorite ride.

Jack Morey said the farewell ceremony, complete with refreshments and clam chowder, will be held inside the ride, which is being cleaned up in time for the event.

The ride will then be demolished.

Grassi said the months after the ceremony will be difficult.

"The hardest days will come later, actually seeing it vanish from the landscape," Grassi said.

News of the Golden Nugget's demise has been met with mixed reactions.

Some are angry about the loss of the ride that represents their Wildwood memories. Others understand the need to move on and build something new.

"Folks have said they appreciated the uniqueness and customization of the ride. There's nothing like something that's custom built," Will Morey said, noting the Moreys are planning a new attraction. "For those upset, maybe a new tradition will be built."

Across town at the Wildwood Historical Society's museum, museum manager Bob Bright said he also hears from fans sad to see the Golden Nugget go.

"I've had people actually cry," Bright said this week. "People loved the ride. They truly did."

E-mail Trudi Gilfillian:

TGilfillian@pressofac.com

Golden Nugget facts

In its 34 years of operation, the ride carried an estimated 1.7 million people.

Celebrities who rode the Golden Nugget include the Lennon Sisters, Joey Bishop and Mickey Shaughnessy.

The ride had four lift hills, one on the first and second floors and two on the exterior.

There were seven cacti on the roof.

The roof over the station (porch) was built in the fall of 1979.

The ride opened in August 1960 unfinished. The winter of 1959 delayed the pouring of the concrete deck that the ride was to sit on.

The ride opened with 10 single mine cars and would join two mine cars together for five trains after the 1961 season.

Most props were made locally by Bill Tracy's Amusement Displays. Other display companies involved with making props in the ride are Unique Designs, of Maryland, Funni Frite Industries and, of course, Hunt's artists.

The ride was re-themed with dinosaurs in 1996 and renamed the Golden Nugget Mine Rescue.

The length of track was about 850 feet.

The builder was Philadelphia Toboggan Coasters Inc. and the designer was John C. Allen.

Source: Jack Morey, The Morey Organization

Click on the link for a slide show through out the years.

• 5 months later...

Okay, well the Golden Nugget was one of the many old rides of Wildwoods "Hunt Pier" made in 1957. It had many rides such as the "Golden Nugget" and the "The Flyer" ect.. The "Golden Nugget" has been moved to Canobles to be re-built in 2010. (Next year) Wildwood was un-able to keep up-to-date on the ride and would have to spend a lot of money to repair it. You can go the "Hunt's Pier" website at this address:

http://www.huntspier.com/

There you can see 4 images, one of "The Flyer", one of the "Wacky Shack", one of the "Keystone Kops", and at last, one of the "Golden Nugget". This year would be the 52th anniversary of "Hunts Pier". At this address:

http://www.funchase.com/Images/Hunts/Hunts.htm

You can see images of all the rides that were there! Although I believe that the "Go-Carts" are now the only ride at the pier that once was "Hunts Pier". When I was there the past summer, I saw this thing, that looked somewhat like a moutain. I thought it was some sort of couse to the "Go-Carts". Oh yes, and also there used to be a sky tower at the first pier. Also known as "Adventure Pier". Here you can see it being taken down,

http://www.funchase.com/Images/Funpier/SkyTower/SkyTower.htm