TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

^^ I'm Thinking not, the turns seems too far banked to be anything other than than a very steep overbank or a zero-g roll.

I could be wrong though, but it just does not seem likely that that would be the case.

Yea, the options do seem limited with that banking. Probably a better example of what I was talking about would be just the transition at the top of the non-inverting loop on HRRR. The transition is quick from one heavy banked track piece to the opposite banked piece. Though, I'm really not sure what purpose that would serve. ...Nevermind.

I thought that the general consensus was that a 270-degree turn happens right after the drop? I'm sticking to my guns and calling it as a cutback that will eventually lead to the remaining ninety degrees of said turn.

^Why would there be a cutback going the wrong direction? This is on the outside of the curve. Look at the photos and the video chadster posted, it's not terribly hard to see where the footers are going. It would be painful if it were doing anything but a roll at this point. The track is pretty much inverted already, and the bents that are about to be put up seem to have the crossbeams on the other side indicating the track is about to switch over to that side. This whole section of the ride is indeed part of a 270-degree turnaround though, so I'm assuming that the exit from this roll will be a sweeping drop into the valley.

Traditional rides remind me of better times and all this "innovation" is making me realize how crappy life gets as you get older.

Life sucks at age 22.

Also I remember reading somewhere that the Rocky Mountain trains were capable of inversions, and this is probably why.

I've always thought a launched wooden coaster would be intriguing. Not anything too crazy, but a nice 50-60mph LSM launch, perhaps. I'd imagine it wouldn't be too hard to do, you just need some train modifications and possibly steel crossbeams in the launch zone.

The Gravity Group already has a launched shuttle coaster designed. They are just waiting for some Chinese park to buy it. Timberliners were designed with launching in mind.

I've always thought a launched wooden coaster would be intriguing. Not anything too crazy, but a nice 50-60mph LSM launch, perhaps. I'd imagine it wouldn't be too hard to do, you just need some train modifications and possibly steel crossbeams in the launch zone.

The Gravity Group already has a launched shuttle coaster designed. They are just waiting for some Chinese park to buy it. Timberliners were designed with launching in mind.

Considering launching is just braking in the opposite direction, it would be a lot simpler than you think.

Are the trains for this attraction meant to be like the ones on The New Texas Giant?

I can't imagine them having four riders per car because of how tight the drop is and the twistiness of the ride. I would assume they'd be articulated like the timberliners or millennium flyers.

Aren't these the first trains Rocky Mountain is building? If I remember correctly the NTAG trains are from Gerstlauer.

You're correct. I'm not sure everyone realizes that the NTAG trains aren't from RMC.

I can't imagine them having four riders per car because of how tight the drop is and the twistiness of the ride. I would assume they'd be articulated like the timberliners or millennium flyers.

El Toro runs with three rows per car and does some crazy stuff with them. NTAG also does just fine with four riders per car and goes a bit crazy itself. I'd put money on these having two rows per car, probably taking cues from those Gerstlauer trains but throwing some original design aspects in the mix as well.

Intamin and Premier have managed some pretty ridiculous/twisted movement with six seater cars, but at this point I think it would be far more likely to see four seater or two seater vehicles. Aside from the seating arrangement of the attraction, I'm interested in seeing what the trains look like. It'd love to see RMC embrace a very open air train design while still managing all the class of a traditional woodie look (similar to El Toro).

Edited by SoCalCoasters

They really can't go for an open-air design, but one like El Toro probably isn't out of the question. Being serious here - if the clearances are as tight as they look to be, they'll have to install reach guards like the "windows" on the Texas Giant cars or like the ones on Arrow trains.

They really can't go for an open-air design, but one like El Toro probably isn't out of the question. Being serious here - if the clearances are as tight as they look to be, they'll have to install reach guards like the "windows" on the Texas Giant cars or like the ones on Arrow trains.

That's true. I'd forgotten about that. Clearances are definitely going to be quite harrowing through this section, inversion or not.

I'm hoping this ride still has lap bars considering it has an inversion now.

There are plenty of roller coasters with inversions that have lapbars. Most notably the Premiers...if Superman or Batman and Robin or even the spaghetti bowls can have lapbars, so can this.

Some sort of reach guard is pretty much a given though.

If this is in fact a full roll, the name "Outlaw" seems very fitting. It's breaking the "law" of traditional wooden coasters with inversions (hopefully ones that work and won't need to be modified). Plus all over the SDC website for the ride, just screams Outlaw with the police badges and stuff.

I'm hoping this ride still has lap bars considering it has an inversion now.

There are plenty of roller coasters with inversions that have lapbars. Most notably the Premiers...if Superman or Batman and Robin or even the spaghetti bowls can have lapbars, so can this.

Some sort of reach guard is pretty much a given though.

Completely. If the new S:UF coaster at SFDK can only have lap bars, this sure as hell can too.