TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Studios Hollywood (USH) Discussion Thread

Universal Studios Hollywood officials said the “King Kong” attraction, a key element of the movie and television theme park’s back lot tram tour destroyed by Sunday’s fire, won’t be rebuilt and will be replaced with an all-new, yet-to-be-determined attraction.

As long as its better than "Santa Kong".

Any guesses as to what we'll get here? I'd love to see the Battlestar Galactica part return based on the new series, but the chances of that happening are slim to none. Frankly, given that it's been two years since they've gotten the collapsing bridge to work, I'm not holding my breath for a new attraction there any time soon.

Apparently this didn't make the news at all over on the East Coast, including the Orlando, FL area. Guess they just don't care about the real movie studios, and just like to pretend their way through the mostly-fake ones at Universal Orlando & WDW?

Just for you

Thats terrible how Universal lost all those sets & their last Kong. Both Kongs are no more. Orlando lost theirs to The Mummy & LAs Kong from a fire. I'm glad they are still letting people visit the rest of the park that didn't get burned from the fire. I wonder if Universal will rebuild new sets & a new attraction where Kong was like a coaster maybe? or even a Spiderman dark ride similar to Orlandos. I will never forget the Kong ride at Orlando though. It was a Universal classic.

^ Already answered [and quoted on this page]:

Universal Studios Hollywood officials said the “King Kong” attraction, a key element of the movie and television theme park’s back lot tram tour destroyed by Sunday’s fire, won’t be rebuilt and will be replaced with an all-new, yet-to-be-determined attraction.

Apparently investigators think that roofers with blowtorches started the fire. From http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-studiofire3-2008jun03,0,5961570.story:

Investigators conclude that the back lot blaze was caused by employees repairing a roof on New York Street.

The dramatic Sunday blaze that destroyed portions of the Universal Studios Hollywood back lot was accidentally touched off by company employees using a blowtorch to heat asphalt roofing shingles, authorities said.

Los Angeles County fire officials said two workers and a supervisor were putting up shingles in an alley on the New York Street set. They finished at 3 a.m., spent an hour watching for any sign of fire, then took a break.

^What's that supposed to mean? Even though the new tour blows IMO, you can't say they haven't been investing in it. The "new" tour debuted just two years ago with Fast and the Furious, new spitters on the JP section, new videos, added water canons to flash flood, and an upgraded queue. Attractions take time to design. Especially ones you probably weren't planning on building anytime in the near future (I'm sure they had ideas on the drawing board for an eventual replacement). IMO, going as far as announcing they intend to replace Kong (instead of some BS like "we are going to evaluate our options...") is a positive sign that we will see something in the next few years.

^^The Kong building is nowhere near the actual theme park. It's not going to be anything other than a new tram attraction.

Anyways...Here are some great photos taken by the LAFD:

060108-0164

Paint me "ignoramus", but I didn't even KNOW Kong was still at Universal Hollywood. I guess living here in Tampa, FL and being an annual passholder at USO...I usually just pay attention to the east coast news.

And I remember the fire in the back to the future plaza all those years ago...I thought that had gone down permanently too.

Sad to hear there are no more Kong's...doesn't Japan or something have one?

Man, both Kong's are gone now. The only one left is the neon Kong sign at City Walk. Really makes you wonder what kind of an attraction is going to replace it. Really glad that no one was hurt, and that the clock tower is ok, big sigh of relief there.

Kudos to the Men and Women of the LAFD for putting the fire out.

Kong is no more at any of the Universal Studio's.. Maybe Florida might want him back in a few years time.

http://travel.latimes.com/daily-deal-blog/index.php/universal-studios-ho-1977/

The studio tour resumed abbreviated operations on Monday, with tram-bound visitors whisked up to the cusp of the burn area and encouraged to snap photographs of the devastated New York back lot streets, which Universal officials said would be rebuilt.

Visitors reported that some elements of the normal tour, such as the “Earthquake — The Big One” attraction and the “Parting of the Red Sea” effect at Park Lake, were not included. Fire trucks and emergency personnel blocked parts of the studio back lot Monday as crews continued their investigation of the blaze.

Built in 1986, the $6.5-million “King Kong” attraction included a 30-foot-tall, 7-ton animatronic gorilla inside a 26,000-square-foot soundstage built to look like a city block

39543505.jpg.cb3bc8e0863c1b9bd33a230c66f24ea4.jpg