TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Studios Hollywood (USH) Discussion Thread

Oh.. I probably should have explained this post better.. I scaled both areas to exact size using precise lat/long coordinates (and a tape measure I found in a dumpster), which is the top photo..

After scaling, mirroring & inverting, I realized that POTCOT fits perfectly in the previously rumored areas of construction (and also looks like a penis).I basically wasted all this time because there has been banter on the tubes about how much space Potter California Adventure will take up and how it will be laid out. I'd say this is a pretty good (handsome & well educated) guess.

-christian "give me a break.. It's monday" con

Megatron also "took over" Dodger stadium on opening day. They were playing a Dodger highlight video and he interrupted it letting everyone know the Deceptions are here to kick our ass. USH is definitely going all out on its marketing push.

Megatron also "took over" Dodger stadium on opening day. They were playing a Dodger highlight video and he interrupted it letting everyone know the Deceptions are here to kick our A$$. USH is definitely going all out on its marketing push.

This is particularly clever--much better than the "armless mannequin" approach Thorpe used to push Swarm.

Joey, if you have any pull out there, get this to soft open for The Mighty Big Man by April 28th while I am visiting!

Thanks dude

Peace, Big Mike

If you believe the internet rumors, it is supposed to start soft opening on Thursday.

Now that the ride is soft opened, I will post my review...

The best way to sum it up is USH is finally back in the game! Transformers is definitely a world class attraction, and anybody who hasn't been on spiderman (which is the majority of people in so cal) will be truly blown away. For those who have been on Spiderman, it is definitely a solid "Spiderman 1.5"

The biggest departure from Spiderman is that there is less emphasis on the physical sets. Only once do you get true interaction with the physical sets, and it is well done. But the main focus is definitely on the 3D (with water sprays, LN2 steam, wind FX, and lighting aiding them), though the 2D sets still blend fantastically with the 3D. Ride vehicles are the same as Spiderman, but the motion did seem to feel smoother. However, it is still not recommended if you are prone to motion sickness.

Speaking of the 3D, the ride uses the same newer technology as the upgraded Spiderman and Star Tours (Dolby 3D) and it looks absolutely fantastic. Never loses focus, and doesn't even look blurry if you happen to take your glasses off.

The queue is also the most immersive at USH (not saying much, but still). The videos (starring the actual General from the movie) do a good job telling the story, and it definitely passes as a "military base." There's random buttons and switches to push along the way that don't actually do anything to keep people with ADD busy too. Be warned that the single rider line is quite tiny and will probably be shut down for most of the day from being full, so get there early if you plan on using that option.

Crew member uniforms are "desert digital camo" military uniforms and they were all really into the military theme, referring to everyone as "recruits", saluting them, calling the glasses "battle googles," and little things like that. Nice touch. Hope they can keep it up.

Also, as an aside, the Bumblebee & Optimus Prime walk-around characters are ridiculous. Pictures don't even do them justice. Definitely the coolest park characters to date, topping the talking Mickey.