TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Being this will be my first trip to CP, I told her ok, but I'm still ticked! Oh well. I threw in a, "At least Disney, Universal, and the Whale here in Orlando know how to open things on time" before I hung up.

Just curious, but does Disney give refunds for when it's attractions are closed for rehab?

Cause I sure didn't get anything both times Splash Mountain and Space Mountain have been closed.

Test Track that opened right on time, correct?

Btw if anyone takes offense to that image or i've overlooked a term or gentle teasing of the ACERs offends people(if thats true then i'm probably in the wrong forum), i will remove it 1st thing in the morning

Rob

I've just realized that there is no way that it would be 70 miles an hour through that heartline roll. The LAUNCH is 70 mile an hour, after the launch there is a hill which will inevitably slow it down. Plus there will be trims on the top of the hill... I would assume that it would not be going any faster than fifty miles an hour through the heartline roll...

Fifty miles an hour is just a guess and I don't really have a clue how fast it will be going through the roll. All I know is that it wont be seventy

From PointBuzz:

Is anyone else crying, watching the POV animation, and eating a whole gallon of ice cream?

To be fair, he was joking around. One of the few lighthearted responses in that thread.

From PointBuzz:

Is anyone else crying, watching the POV animation, and eating a whole gallon of ice cream?

To be fair, he was joking around. One of the few lighthearted responses in that thread.

Yeah, but the "whole gallon of ice cream" bit is priceless.

Everyone, this weekend will be gorgous weather wise...go there and enjoy their other attractions...

Yeah, I am so pumped because it will be nice! The last 3 years I went it has been in the 40s and raining. It is supposed to be nice all through the week (I am going Thurs. and Fri.). I can't wait to finally have a 70 degree day with no rain!!

What I like too, is that after all the schools leave, around 1.5-2 hours before closing, the park is EMPTY and you basically have almost every ride to yourself.

Pretty off topic, but can anyone confirm or deny that Raptor is getting on ride DVDs for 2007?

I know PointBuzz is far from authoritative, but here:

http://www.pointbuzz.com/cpplace.aspx?mode=thread&TopicID=20605

- Offering DVD of on-ride experience on Raptor and Woodstock Express – cameras will be mounted on each row of the train

Considering CF already has some installations of the technology due to the Paramount acquisition, this is fairly certain.

http://cdride.info/

I haven't gone through all the posts again, but did anything in the press release say that it's specifically the heartline roll that's being worked on? Or is that just conjecture on peoples' parts? The only thing i've read is "three sections of track after the launch tunnel".

Could the three sections in question be the left-hand turn coming out of the tunnel? That turn will definitely get the full force of the 70MPH launch. And watching the on-ride animation, it almost seems like there's an odd shift to the right before it banks into the left turn (though that might be a trick of the animation).

As this will be my first trip to CP, I don't know the layout very well. Are both the heartline and the end of the launch tunnel visible from the midway? It'll be interesting to see exactly which three pieces are removed.

-Rob

If it is the actual design of the heartline, and the fact that it is taken at high speed, I'm wondering if this will have any effect on the similar element on Furius Baco. I would think it would actually be accentuated on that ride, being that the riders wont be heartlined. which could produce an even worse situation.

I'm thinking/hoping that this may be a fabrication issue.

I haven't gone through all the posts again, but did anything in the press release say that it's specifically the heartline roll that's being worked on? Or is that just conjecture on peoples' parts? The only thing i've read is "three sections of track after the launch tunnel".

Could the three sections in question be the left-hand turn coming out of the tunnel? That turn will definitely get the full force of the 70MPH launch. And watching the on-ride animation, it almost seems like there's an odd shift to the right before it banks into the left turn (though that might be a trick of the animation).

As this will be my first trip to CP, I don't know the layout very well. Are both the heartline and the end of the launch tunnel visible from the midway? It'll be interesting to see exactly which three pieces are removed.

-Rob

The slight shift right is just the ride slipping into the left-hand turn. The ride is of course heartlined, so that's all that is. It might have been a bit off in the animation, but I can assure you that they are replacing the heartline roll sections.

As far as the reason for the replacement, I would have to say fabrication/installation error. Even a few millimeters off can cause huge problems, especially at those speeds, putting more stress on the train than is advisable. I'm sure it could run, but I'm also sure that CP doesn't want to replace train components once a month on all the trains, hence the replacement.

A good example of moving track a few inches is EuroStar. I read an article about how Stengel was contracted to redesign and refabricate the entry into the zero-g roll. The heartline and track were moved somewhere in the area of 5-6 mm, and the lateral g's in that portion dropped from around .8 to around .5, significantly improving rider comfort and train wear.

So, most likely, it's a situation like EuroStar's where a fabrication error was made and the sections will be replaced with more precise ones. If that's the case, Intamin might be looking for a new US fabrication company, especially since they've had problems before (poor structural integrity of the track).

Screamscape sources have given us a little more information about what exactly is wrong with the heartline roll. If the rumors are true the G-force tests spiked between 6-7 G’s during the heartline roll, making the experience a little too intense. To solve the problem they had been dialing down the launch speed out of tunnel, but to get the G-forces in check the train barely had enough momentum to complete the run and was running a high risk of valleying in the second half. So at this point it seems they have no choice but to wait for the new track to arrive that will reign in the G-forces in the heartline roll.

Latest update from screamscape sounds like they may just install a less intense heartline roll which is good news for all those who didn't want to see it go

Rob

-Rob

You can't see it from the main midway I am pretty sure. Maverick is in the back of the park relative to the entrance