TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Well, whatever Friday it turns out to be, I'll sure miss doing it, again next year.

I'm trying to save up some $ for a double visit to Disneyland and Knotts pre- and apres-

SWL:Galaxy's Edge... in 2019.

And DCA too!

Edited by Nrthwnd

Tomorrow is Columbus Day and kids are off from school so they're expecting larger than normal Sunday crowds. It still won't be anything like a Saturday crowd though.

Yeah. That should be the standard at most theme parks if it isn't already. I was at Canobie on this day either last year or the one before, though it was still fairly packed.

One more thing... I've never been to Kings Island so if Halloweekends is going to be ridiculously crowded would it be worth it to give KI a try instead?

Depends on what you want. KI is open an hour later and has more Haunt mazes and better Haunt mazes. Didn't see any shows at Halloweekends when we went but the shows at KI are great. Also: Beast, Diamondback, Timbers, Banshee, Bat, Adventure Express,... are all amazing at night during Haunt. Personally, I think KI has a better atmosphere during Haunt than Cedar Point does.

Of course, you don't get Maverick, MF, and the others (except Dragster) but you can go on a summer night during ERT (or CoasterMania!) for the night ride experiences if that's what you're after.

But yeah.... after going to Halloweekends once last year and once this year and KI Haunt many more times, I highly recommend KI Haunt over Halloweekends. Of the few mazes at CP, there are only a couple I'd really say are worth waiting a long time for, if any.

One more thing... I've never been to Kings Island so if Halloweekends is going to be ridiculously crowded would it be worth it to give KI a try instead?

Depends on what you want. KI is open an hour later and has more Haunt mazes and better Haunt mazes. Didn't see any shows at Halloweekends when we went but the shows at KI are great. Also: Beast, Diamondback, Timbers, Banshee, Bat, Adventure Express,... are all amazing at night during Haunt. Personally, I think KI has a better atmosphere during Haunt than Cedar Point does.

Of course, you don't get Maverick, MF, and the others (except Dragster) but you can go on a summer night during ERT (or CoasterMania!) for the night ride experiences if that's what you're after.

But yeah.... after going to Halloweekends once last year and once this year and KI Haunt many more times, I highly recommend KI Haunt over Halloweekends. Of the few mazes at CP, there are only a couple I'd really say are worth waiting a long time for, if any.

Sounds like KI may be a winner. Can I expect the lines to be as bad as Cedar Point?

Sounds like KI may be a winner. Can I expect the lines to be as bad as Cedar Point?

I have a response for you but I'm going to take it to the KI Thread to not derail CP thread and for anyone going to KI who is interested.

Let me just +1 all of that, as somebody who is a lifelong CP fan, and die-hard! When it comes to Haunt, or Halloweekends, whatever you want to call it, KI wins easily, in my opinion! RAWKIN gave you a great run down of the reasons why, and I put my money where my mouth is, getting my Platinum Pass for next near through KI, so I got my free visit there this year! I'll be going down this Friday night, and enjoying Haunt for the third straight year. It's SO great!

Sorry for interrupting the discussion:

When do details for CoasterMania get announced and where can I purchase tickets when available? I plan on getting a Club TPR membership before the event. Sorry for my ignorance. I've never cared to keep up with this until this year.

Sorry for interrupting the discussion:

When do details for CoasterMania get announced and where can I purchase tickets when available? I plan on getting a Club TPR membership before the event. Sorry for my ignorance. I've never cared to keep up with this until this year.

This year they announced when CoasterMania tickets would go on sale at Winter Chill Out in late February, then tickets went on sale in early March. I think it was shared in Club TPR forum after that event, but not super talked about on the general forum since we all wanted our tickets first.

I got my Club TPR membership shortly after Chill Out but before tickets went on sale. However, since Robb is a busy man, it's always better to get that early as well! I can't speak for more details about Club TPR since this is my first year having it except that it has been AMAZING to have this year and totally worth the small initial fee! I'll definitely be renewing.

I don't think they announced the actual ERT details and schedule until a bit later but obviously getting tickets early is the priority.

I'm not sure if that's what they usually do but that's what they did this year.

I've already read that Saturday is the worst day to attend Halloweekends but just how bad should I expect lines to be this Saturday?

Expect it to be hellish busy, honestly. Sunny and 78 right now in the forecast, on a HalloWeekends Saturday... Yeah, wouldn't even attempt the place, personally. Expect to sit in a 45min wait on the causeway just to park, 2hr waits for all the big coasters and don't even think about leaving at close (hint: leave early).

I absolutely just refuse going any Saturday's during HW by rule. Friday's and Sunday's, fine... Never Saturday !

I've already read that Saturday is the worst day to attend Halloweekends but just how bad should I expect lines to be this Saturday?

I know you seemed to have moved on from this plan but I figured I'd mention that Queue Times is a great resource for these types of things since you can track wait times for the past week and get an idea of what to expect on a Haunt Saturday based on the previous Haunt Saturday. Some highlights from this past Saturday include...

Gatekeeper: 105 Minutes at park close. I'd imagine that ride was cycling until almost 2 in the morning.

Valravn: 120 Minutes at it's peak. 105 Minutes at park close. I'd imagine that ride was cycling until almost 2 in the morning.

Millennium Force: 120 Minutes all day and at park close. Again... probably cycling until 2 in the morning.

Maverick: 130 Minutes all day. More of the same... these poor ride ops.

Deprivation: 105 minutes at park close

Maxair was at ONE HOUR for the majority of the afternoon. Maxair...

BLUE STREAK (yes... Blue Streak) closed with a 45 minute wait at midnight. Power tower did also. 45 minutes at midnight for an S&S tower. Jesus...

Skyhawk (which never has a line) was also posting an hour wait for the majority of the afternoon.

Rouagrou: 90 minutes most of the day. F*cking Rougarou...

Queue-Times doesn't have Kings Island wait times unfortunately, but they have information on a lot of parks if you're curious. The data is pulled right from the park's respective wait time apps.

^That is wretched! 90 minutes for Rougarou!? I guess Gemini is always a fall back, and a great ride. Oh wait, they don't run 3 trains anymore, do they? Still couldn't be too bad, could it?

If by "fall back" you mean 60 minutes from about 4:00 on then yeah.

^Ugh, no :/ Remembering Gemini with 3 trains, no seatbelts, no airgates... the queue full and half way down the length of the ride - no more than 30 mins. Still a great ride! Capacity is still good, just different.

Edited by JT325

Let me just +1 all of that, as somebody who is a lifelong CP fan, and die-hard! When it comes to Haunt, or Halloweekends, whatever you want to call it, KI wins easily, in my opinion! RAWKIN gave you a great run down of the reasons why, and I put my money where my mouth is, getting my Platinum Pass for next near through KI, so I got my free visit there this year! I'll be going down this Friday night, and enjoying Haunt for the third straight year. It's SO great!

Depending on what you expect from the park, they both have their perks.

Kings Island is definitely stronger for the Haunt-related attractions, and doesn't suffer as dramatically from staffing shortages when school starts. However, Fridays and Sundays also seem to be much busier at KI than at CP.

Cedar Point is weaker for the Haunt, but as I typically go on Friday, it's basically ERT all night. The Haunt atmosphere is a nice bonus. I rarely go through the mazes.

I know you seemed to have moved on from this plan but I figured I'd mention that Queue Times is a great resource for these types of things since you can track wait times for the past week and get an idea of what to expect on a Haunt Saturday based on the previous Haunt Saturday. Some highlights from this past Saturday include...

Gatekeeper: 105 Minutes at park close. I'd imagine that ride was cycling until almost 2 in the morning.

Valravn: 120 Minutes at it's peak. 105 Minutes at park close. I'd imagine that ride was cycling until almost 2 in the morning.

Millennium Force: 120 Minutes all day and at park close. Again... probably cycling until 2 in the morning.

Maverick: 130 Minutes all day. More of the same... these poor ride ops.

Deprivation: 105 minutes at park close

Maxair was at ONE HOUR for the majority of the afternoon. Maxair...

BLUE STREAK (yes... Blue Streak) closed with a 45 minute wait at midnight. Power tower did also. 45 minutes at midnight for an S&S tower. Jesus...

Skyhawk (which never has a line) was also posting an hour wait for the majority of the afternoon.

Rouagrou: 90 minutes most of the day. F*cking Rougarou...

Queue-Times doesn't have Kings Island wait times unfortunately, but they have information on a lot of parks if you're curious. The data is pulled right from the park's respective wait time apps.

First I'd just like to thank you all for your help, I really appreciate it a lot. But OMG those lines are outrageous!!! I also forgot Dragster is down. I couldn't imagine going to the park and not being able to ride it. This really has me second guessing. I may have to look a little more into KI.

No problem!

Regarding Dragster, apparently there's actually been visible work going on at the ride and the park has never actually stated that it was closed for the season. While I agree that if you can't imagine visiting the park without riding Dragster you shouldn't plan a trip for this weekend, I wouldn't exactly be shocked if it's running this weekend either. Enthusiasts declared it closed for the season based on some leaked photos but the park has never stated that. Evidently at some point last weekend the launch cable (which was slack on Saturday) was returned to it's operating position. Anyone who actually knows anything about what's going on isn't talking but I'm sure Cedar point is trying to get the ride open as quickly as possible. I wouldn't give up on it quite yet.

Agreed, thanks for the information. I'm also flying up this weekend from Texas. Visiting King's Island Friday and CP on Saturday. No worries, I'm buying Fast Lane Plus on Saturday I do really hope they've gotten Top Thrill back up. I've been watching the progress and CP Rundown had a video of them testing the fins on Sunday. I have a feeling they'll get it up and going by Saturday!

I've been there probably 5 times since the "accident" and every single time theres been a mechanic working on it.

Also, I'd think that if CP thought it would be down for the year, they'd take the trains off the ride to get a head start on maintenance, which isn't the case. All 6 trains are sitting in transfer waiting to open again.