TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

The keyholes might be where the supports are, just that the keyholes are hiding the supports.

To me, it looks like the supports are exactly where you'd expect them to be, with thin walls built around them to make the keyholes. I'm probably wrong though.

You said essentially the same exact thing as XYZ did. Supports are there, hidden in the keyhole structures.

Yeah, but personally I think that the supports are going to be inclosed INSIDE the gate structure that forms the keyholes.

I'm sorry, couldn't resist.

That's what I said, the keyholes might be where the supports are. Sorry, if I made it a bit confusing.

Doesn't B&M hate silencing their rides? I swear I've read that they are very resistant to it, they like that their box track creates that sound.

That's what I said, the keyholes might be where the supports are. Sorry, if I made it a bit confusing.

You didn't. You were actually very clear, that's why I joked about it because it apparently took a couple people to explain what you had already clearly stated.

One thing I absolutely love is that what at first glance appeared to be the proverbial loop after a drop, is actually the afformentioned Immelman, which is so great. No loops and lots of rolls is what the wingrider design needed IMO. The exit to the Immelman serves as a bit of a traditional drop and that airtime hill, if it delivers, and that is a huge if because they will probably trim it, would be the best in the park. It does have a long way to go from there to the brakes so we might be carrying enough speed to make it nice and poppy. The more I look at it closely the more it's growing on me, at least as much as a new B&M looper can. This ride is considerably more imaginative than WIld Eagle. There is definitely some potential here, they just have to let it roll without trims.

The sand is nothing more but an option by the company.

If CP wants the ride quiet, it will be filled with sand. Saying B&M frowns on the sand because the ride won't sound right to them is just plain silly. Why do they care what the ride sounds like? They got their 25 million or whatever, why should they care?

In fact, I believe sand also is better for the structure by reducing vibration fatigue. I doubt it makes much of any difference, but I swear there was an interview about it when Maverick was built (and filled, with sand).

^Duh, they had to tear a ride out. This will probably be the last coaster they ever build at Cedar Point without adding a boardwalk, or re-purpose a parking lot, or removing the antique cars, or tearing down the employee dorms .

^^^Off the top of my head, Leviathan, Intimidator, and Wild Eagle all have the roar. I'm also fairly certain that Shambhala, Diamondback, and Behemoth also do, but I could be wrong on those.

You sure about Wild Eagle? I could have sworn it was silent, but maybe I just didn't notice it.

^I just remember the testing video from far away where you can hear it and the redneck guy goes "there's that B&M roar."

I honestly don't remember from when I actually rode it.

Edit: Just watched a couple videos of it, and it doesn't really "roar," per se, but it's not silent, either (silent like Hyrda, Talon, etc.).

The sand is nothing more but an option by the company.

If CP wants the ride quiet, it will be filled with sand. Saying B&M frowns on the sand because the ride won't sound right to them is just plain silly. Why do they care what the ride sounds like? They got their 25 million or whatever, why should they care?

In fact, I believe sand also is better for the structure by reducing vibration fatigue. I doubt it makes much of any difference, but I swear there was an interview about it when Maverick was built (and filled, with sand).

It's actually not silly at all. Engineers get very touchy about people changing things they have designed, even when it comes to something as simple as filling the ride with sand. Believe it or not, not all companies just throw out a product and look at the dollar signs, some take pride in the things they make and how they make them.

I bet you that the whole sand noise issue thing was discussed the moment the ride design started, and not a last minute thing. Therefor, the engineers could care less. Especially when they have done many rides now without problem. Why would it be a hardship on them now with CP?

You make it sound like it is some huge deal when obviously the ride must be fabricated knowing it would be filled. It is a non-issue.

How did they ever find the room to build a new coaster there? I thought Cedar Point was landlocked?

Rides sink into the sand at Cedar Point, freeing up more room for new attractions.

Yep, so in a few years, once Flight Deck at GCA finally sinks, they'll have even more room for new attractions.

Getting this train back on track, Gatekeeper looks amazing...

But why didn't they theme it to Gandalf the White?

Have the morlocks provided any clues to geological predictions of the sinking of rides, or is this a secret deal they made with Dick Kinzel that he will take to his grave?

* If no one knows, then I'm asking this question at the Coastermania Q&A next year.

Hi,

Now I'm really sure: our honeymoon in May 2013 is going to Cedar Point, Kings Dominion and SFGA instead of Vegas

Sorry, a little bit off-topic: I can't find the opening hours of any of the above mentioned parks for 2013.

Do I take a risk of standing at a closed park between the 12th and the 26th of May??

I especially want to avoid weekends when visiting those parks.

Thanks,

Paul

Have the morlocks provided any clues to geological predictions of the sinking of rides, or is this a secret deal they made with Dick Kinzel that he will take to his grave?

Kinzel is the king of the morlocks. His retirement coincided with the 7134th mating period for the morlocks.

Morlocks sink the rides if they aren't given enough pure Pepsi syrup to survive an entire summer. They are deathly afraid of concrete and trash cans.

Sorry, a little bit off-topic: I can't find the opening hours of any of the above mentioned parks for 2013.

Do I take a risk of standing at a closed park between the 12th and the 26th of May??

You will almost definitely be staring at a closed park if you try to attend any of those during a weekday in May. Check the park schedules and look at the May 2012 schedule, 2013 will more than likely be almost identical except for the corresponding date changes.

Typically seasonal parks on the East Coast are only open on the weekends until Memorial Day (the last monday in May for you since you may not be familiar with American holidays). However, attendance is generally pretty light even on the weekends in May before schools let out for the summer sometime in June. Typically seasonal parks on the East Coast are only open on the weekends until Memorial Day (the last monday in May for you since you may not be familiar with American holidays). However, attendance is generally (your mileage may vary depending on the exact park) pretty light even on the weekends in May before schools let out for the summer sometime in June.

You will almost definitely be staring at a closed park if you try to attend any of those during a weekday in May. Check the park schedules and look at the May 2012 schedule, 2013 will more than likely be almost identical except for the corresponding date changes.

Typically seasonal parks on the East Coast are only open on the weekends until Memorial Day (the last monday in May for you since you may not be familiar with American holidays). However, attendance is generally pretty light even on the weekends in May before schools let out for the summer sometime in June. Typically seasonal parks on the East Coast are only open on the weekends until Memorial Day (the last monday in May for you since you may not be familiar with American holidays). However, attendance is generally (your mileage may vary depending on the exact park) pretty light even on the weekends in May before schools let out for the summer sometime in June.

Cedar Point doesn't do weekday closures in May. He's probably safe after May 11th, which is the corresponding Saturday in 2013.