TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

I rode Excalibur once on opening day. Normally I've liked Excalibur but the ride I took was the roughest I've ever ridden. It felt like no TLC went into it all over the off season. Honestly that will probably be my last ride cause I really don't want to get on it again with it being that rough!

It felt like no TLC went into it all over the off season.

I can't imagine why!! Just tear it down already..

I don't mind the coaster at all, but I know what I'm getting into when I decide to take a spin. I appreciate the uniqueness and the rarity of the type of coaster, but it's the least popular coaster in the park by far. It's located in the way back of the park and will never pull its own weight in getting crowds to travel back that far. It's outlived its useful life and I'm excited for the future possibilities removing it will present!

If this project is a go for 2018, I'd expect to see land clearing (tree removal, dirt moving, etc.) starting in July sometime, if not June. Carowind's Carolina Harbor started land clearing in August, but they have way better weather and what seemed like an easier terrain to work with. Valleyfair's water park project would also have a road and decent sized parking lot being constructed. Looking forward to hearing updates from all of you that live way closer to the park than I do!!

Would we also see the Looping Star Ship re tire the same year as Excalibur? The Looping Star Ship sits on prime land for the next water park expansion. By removing Looping Star Ship and taking out the volley ball courts and an idea is to re locate the Soak City enterance and move it over by were the two black gates are by Mad Mouse. There you will have room for a tornado bowl and a matt racer. One thing I like them to keep is Raging Rapids its my favorite water ride at Soak City.

I hope the ride sticks around past my first visit to the park this july.

Being your first visit and all hopefully it will still be around for you to take a few laps on. Good luck! IF this project is a go for 2018 Excalibur's days will be numbered as expected. With all that needs to be done with filling in wetlands, creating new wetland areas, road and parking lot construction, coaster demolishion plus any water park work you can't imagine it makes it past August 1st. My best guess is they announce Excalibur's RIP date after July 4th for sometime later that month if the project is on for 2018. I know nothing of course, but hopefully we see some work on the road and other things that would not imeadiately have any park impact sometime in June to give us a sign.

There's nothing stopping them from opening the black gates now if they really wanted to. My speculation on why they don't is.

A) Make people walk by more food stands, like the Red Garter Saloon and Dipping Dots, or

B) It would cause circulation problems to have traffic going between the park proper and the changing rooms mixing with traffic going between the changing rooms and the pool or the pool and the splashpad.

C) Other parks have a "Shirt, Shoes, and Shorts" enforcer on the long walkway from the waterpark, so maybe that though it Valleyfair might get one

D) Employees want to look important and be seen opening up the gate for themselves.

With everything else to do I don't see them spending money to move Looping Starship.

Have there been any confirmations about where Wildwater Kingdom's stuff is going?

The sword was not removed by valleyfair employees, it was removed by a guest myth debunked. I asked a ride op about it and he told me.

No, it was removed by the park. I can assure you this. We were all joking as a team and so they probably said that to you before we all thought it through and realized a guest is not just going to walk out of the park with a giant sword unnoticed.

The sword was not removed by valleyfair employees, it was removed by a guest myth debunked. I asked a ride op about it and he told me.

No, it was removed by the park. I can assure you this. We were all joking as a team and so they probably said that to you before we all thought it through and realized a guest is not just going to walk out of the park with a giant sword unnoticed.

yeah I guess your right but I doubt it was due to excalibur being possibly removed probably because it was starting to come out.

Adult Night got MAD busy. Definitely needed more rides open. I liked the token system for the beer and hot dish. FREE RIDES ON RIP CORD!?!?!?! To any VF employees on this thread: Did the park anticipate crowds this large? Also, North Star looks fantastic at night!

457493111_2017-05-25AdultNight05.thumb.jpg.3a2544a26d5efc13783904d6c29105a9.jpg

North Star Looks Fantastic At Night

22647238_2017-05-25AdultNight06.thumb.jpg.45a7f6becc6130d2e894e7a76e8f4e12.jpg

Holy Lines, Batman! It goes back well into the Parking Lot!

I was there to. There were cars lining up on the right lane all the way down by the VF housing area on hwy 101. It has been a long time since I've see a crowd like this. You can use your fast lane season pass if you have one. Nights like that it's nice to have a fast lane but I didn't see anyone use it. Were they expecting a crowd this big? The tickets did sell out online.

Edited by Lightning Rod

Wow,

Valleyfair is getting fried on social media for the handling of Adult Night. Sounds like it was a total disaster and PR nightmare. While it's a good idea it has be planned much better. Valleyfair was scheduled to be fully open on that night anyway, why did they only have a handful of rides? I can see, shut down the kiddie rides but Renegade? High Roller? etc. Ah, well, better luck next time!

Wow,

Valleyfair is getting fried on social media for the handling of Adult Night. Sounds like it was a total disaster and PR nightmare. While it's a good idea it has be planned much better. Valleyfair was scheduled to be fully open on that night anyway, why did they only have a handful of rides? I can see, shut down the kiddie rides but Renegade? High Roller? etc. Ah, well, better luck next time!

Renegade and High Roller not running on ' adult night'? Seriously? They really need to rethink that one, how foolish. If I would have found that out only after arriving at the park I would be a little upset too. Congratulations to the park for having a successful promotion beyond their expectations but it sounds like they really need to step up the execution of it if they blew such simple things like this.

Wow,

Renegade and High Roller not running on ' adult night'? Seriously? They really need to rethink that one, how foolish. If I would have found that out only after arriving at the park I would be a little upset too. Congratulations to the park for having a successful promotion beyond their expectations but it sounds like they really need to step up the execution of it if they blew such simple things like this.

Picture the busiest day at the park that you can remember - a day with 3 train operations on Wild Thing and there's still over an hour wait to ride it. Now imagine if everyone in the park on that day had showed up at exactly the same time. Then imagine that only a handful of rides were actually open. I was there for Adult Night and it really did seem like they were totally unprepared for the crowds that showed up. Honestly, as a person who has visited Valleyfair regularly since 1986, I have NEVER seen such a mass of traffic or people converge on the park so quickly. When my friends and I arrived at 7:05, the line of cars waiting to turn into the park on westbound 101 stretched back past 169. By 8, the line of folks trying to get into the park gate was well over 1,000 people. Steel Venom's line stretched all the way to Wild Thing's turnaround - almost to Flying Eagles.

I'm not mad at Valleyfair. I think a lot of the social media thrashing is overblown. Yes, the park was busier than I have ever seen it, and the lines were so long that you could've spent all 4 hours there and only gotten on 2-3 rides. People paid $15 for 4 hours of child-free access to the park. It's a good deal, even with the limited ride options. If I were Valleyfair, the biggest adjustment I'd make would be keeping the crowd 21+, not 18+. I witnessed quite a bit of underage drinking. The wristbands were nice, but with crowds that big it would be nearly impossible to police it perfectly. I'd also open the ENTIRE park, except for Planet Snoopy. On some day in August, do another Adult Night for 21+, same price, but have everything open. I'm willing to bet the same sized crowds would show up, and the park could actually handle it.

I went back to Valleyfair this morning different type of crowd more easy going. If there going to do Adult Night in the future it should be 21 and have the entire park open and have the employees work over time. When I was at the front entrance one of the security officers who know me ask how Adult Night was I said it was a mad house I have been coming to the park for a long time I have never seen the park this busy before and I ask the security officer if they were ready for the crowds they said they were and if they were expected a huge crowd they should have had the entire park open till mid night to. I didn't think Valleyfair was ready for this type of crowd and the security officer said most of the crowd came from down town and I mentioned that there is another season pass ride Night on Thursday June 1 st I ask the security officer what type of crowd be this time? He told me it won't be the type of crowd on Adult Night because season pass holders know how to behave better lol. I also noticed no one used the fast lane on Adult Night? Security officer told me there was also a fight that broke at Wild Thing and full que line on Wild Thing not running all 3 trains?

From the social media reports said they had police responding from Shakopee, Prior Lake, Savage and Scott County Sheriff to come out and the crowd control first time I have seen this.

Edited by Lightning Rod

Went to the park yesterday. Got there at 6:30 left @ 10:15. Not too busy, the park emptied out at about 9:00 pm.

Lineup:

Excalibur

Renegade

Wild Thing

Xtreme Swings

Flying Eagles

Antique Autos

North Star

Chickie and Pete's

Close out Renegade (2 laps)

That's crazy cheap for a special event night. Kudos to the park for trying. But dang, double that price at a minimum. And $5 parking!?

At my home park SFGAmerica, their Pride Night is an extra $45, even with a season pass. No interest in paying extra to see adults get blitzed and act out. I can see it for free all over the city.

I'm in Minnesota visiting relatives and popped into the park tonight. I've never been before and got there about 8:30. Hopped out of my car to a massive clap of thunder which explained why I hadn't seen anything running. I got on Monster which seemed to be the only thing running, and right as I got off they started opening the lines for everything (which surprised me because there was still very visible lightning). By this point, everyone had left which made the rest of the night great with walk-ons all around.

I rode Corkscrew which was one of the smoothest Arrows I've ridden. Then I went over to Wild Thing, which was a fun ride. I was really excited for Renegade. I remember thinking that it looked like a really awesome ride when it was built and followed its construction because I seem to recall it being on a show about building roller coasters. Anyway, it did not disappoint. That ride is awesome! I rode four times because nobody was there. Got on the last ride of the night in the back row. It's a great ride. After the first two rides on Renegade I walked over to Excalibur. That's a really fun ride too. And another really smooth Arrow!

A great night, and I hope to stop by again tomorrow to hit up what I missed. It seems to be a nice, little park with a good mix of fun rides.