TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

I'm still going to renew my platinum season pass because of my Cedar Point and Kings Island trip at the end of July. Will save me money for dining and parking. I'm staying at Motel 6 in Huron 12 minutes from Cedar Point. For 4 nights was $325 so my season pass will save me money for the trip. If we're not going to get a new coaster in 2017. I'd like to see some new thrill rides. Maybe Cedar Fair could do a ride package like adding a new bigger revolution ride like the one at Nickelodeon Universe I thought that was a fun ride and I still like to see a giant frisbee ride like a max air under the Wild Thing turn around.

A couple years back I did a cost run down of what it was going to cost getting the platinum passes for Cedar. That year we were going to KI, CP, and of course VF. It was cheaper to get the daily passes at both CP and KI and the season pass at VF than it was getting the platinum passes. We were staying on site at CP so were not worried about the parking situation.

I am sad that High Roller has individual-seat PTC trains. I wish more wooden coasters had the simple lap bar like it used to with undivided seats. Plus High Roller's old trains were unique and odd, which I liked.

Well, it looks like they will be PTC lap bars.

And we have another case of the old Valleyfair logo getting replaced by the new one.

Buzz kill about losing the buzz bars. Hope the new PTC lap bars don't affect the ride but I am not hopeful. That is not a way to celebrate the 40th anniversary.

IMG_0446.thumb.jpg.c1b8bd58198bc85e61d43b5c2be647ce.jpg

Goodbye to the old Valleyfair!

IMG_0366.JPG.735e15aa4d73a8c0c3285efa45f0dea3.JPG

This doesn't look so bad now.

IMG_0268.JPG.2cf104159d2f8abf7e18e218ae5eaa7c.JPG

Just some dummies enjoying the old VF logo on High Roller.

^

I don't think so, High Roller's cars have three rows each, Ghostrider's old cars only had two rows. It's possible the lap bars could be from Ghostrider, but not the trains.

Yeah, those are looking to be Ghostrider's old lapbars. And they're certainly not the old Thunder Road trains either as they had the newer style of PTC lapbars and chassis, not the corner-handle ones like Ghostrider had.

To me, this actually looks to be a 100% custom build using the old chassis as a base and re-building the seats from scratch using PTC-spec parts. The handle bars, seats cushions, and lapbars are all PTC standard parts and are way easier to obtain than the old IAS parts were. At least the trains should be lighter than they were previously without all of the extra hardware that was added onto those trains.

It should ride exactly the same as it did before if they're using the old chassis. Yes, they're individual ratcheting restraints now, but I'd rather take ride comfort over anything else. And need I remind you, several high ranking wooden coasters have had these restraints for years and it's one of the least complaints from them. (Voyage, Raven, Legend, Shivering Timbers, The Beast to name just a few.) I guess having worked in the industry, I can see from the park's POV on why they would do this now.

Cedar Fair is especially strict with safety standards and essentially any major retrofitting will require them to be up-to-date with everything else in the chain. It's easier to start from scratch (in the case of Dorney and Thunderhawk) than it is to try and retrofit something that already has been retrofitted several times. I actually wouldn't be surprised to see in the next year or so Grizzly at CA Great America getting new trains to get rid of the horrid Morgan cars.

Did anyone here do the ride photo shoots back in August? I did the renegade and the swing and they told us some photos would be on social media in a few months. They never posted any photos or videos, and nothing updated at valleyfair.com (it's still the same photos of the rides that it's been for awhile). Has anyone heard what they did with those photos/video and if we will ever see them??

Sue

Did anyone here do the ride photo shoots back in August? I did the renegade and the swing and they told us some photos would be on social media in a few months. They never posted any photos or videos, and nothing updated at valleyfair.com (it's still the same photos of the rides that it's been for awhile). Has anyone heard what they did with those photos/video and if we will ever see them??

Sue

I was there, for both days, and I haven't seen anything either. They must have some sort of a plan, because I can't imagine that that shoot was cheap.

My guess is that they'll be used in commercials and advertisements this year mainly. I know some of the parks haven't had any "stock" footage recorded there in several years, hence why most of the commercials the past couple years have been the same throughout the chain.

Think it'll be more through marketing ads and stuff that you'll see the new images appear. The website images probably won't get updated until they decide to refresh the sites again. I'd imagine that'll be happening fairly soon since this design is already approaching 4 years old and I'm sure they're itching to eventually phase out the Flash aspects of their sites as well.

Since you've already signed away all rights to the images, they decide when or how often they're used. If at all.

It could wind up in literature the public never sees. Or the background of a video screen for 8-10 seconds.

Or you could practically litter the park one summer, disappear for 2-3 seasons after that, then reappear in a pic you've never previously seen.

It's anyone's guess.

The carousel is going under a complete restoration. This "off-year" is starting to look a lot better -- new ride, new theater, new trains and restoration on high roller, restoration on carousel, great meals on the dining plan, and some kick-ass special events.

^

To me, this actually looks to be a 100% custom build using the old chassis as a base and re-building the seats from scratch using PTC-spec parts.

Would be nice. But the Valleyfair Cynic in my head sneers, Are you kidding? This is the park Cedar Fair wouldn't even toss a secondhand Boomerang (Geauga to Carowinds) or Invertigo (CA to DP)...

Historically, VF gets Dorney's castoffs and these trains strongly resemble Thunderhawk's former PTCs. I'd love to be wrong about this, as those high-backed seats suck almost as much as the lapbars. Good luck with your lift-hill chats this summer!

^

To me, this actually looks to be a 100% custom build using the old chassis as a base and re-building the seats from scratch using PTC-spec parts.

Would be nice. But the Valleyfair Cynic in my head sneers, Are you kidding? This is the park Cedar Fair wouldn't even toss a secondhand Boomerang (Geauga to Carowinds) or Invertigo (CA to DP)...

Historically, VF gets Dorney's castoffs and these trains strongly resemble Thunderhawk's former PTCs. I'd love to be wrong about this, as those high-backed seats suck almost as much as the lapbars. Good luck with your lift-hill chats this summer!

Yea, but Valleyfair has received numerous decent or better additions in the past 5 years and Dorney Park has just received crap year after year, so VF will be a larger park in the future for sure

Meghna: I'm trustfully assuming that you've seen the final build--seat cushions, obligatory/overly redundant seatbelts and all. Believe me, I truly wish to be wrong.

Millertpr: That's a highly subjective measure. 'Specially when you consider DP already sports two wavepools, far more waterslides and has chucked better looping coasters than VF's ever had (Laser). Of course, I'm delicately skirting 'round the B&M count (Two for them, none for us) D'OH I let that slip...

I feel like with High Roller getting new trains, the ride is going to lose its originality (just my unpopular opinion). I'm liking everything the park is doing in the off-season though... Did anyone else see Subway is replacing Ben and Jerry's?! Also, I'll be working in the park this summer, so maybe I'll see some of you around. The season is getting closer!