TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

You do field trips to amusement parks??? I've grown up in the wrong country - we always went to museums....

You've just identified one of our education problems. When I grew up, field trips to the amusement park was a reward for getting good grades, now, in many parts, it's just expected.

You should have a good time at MM, enjoy!

When I was a little kid, we got trips to amusement parks when we sold a certain amount of overpriced chocolate bars to are families and neighbors. But now a days its the teachers getting tired of school when may and june comes around, so they dump the kids off at the parks with some not so responible teenagers to supervise them, and call it a school day.

^^I agree. SFEK was a much needed improvement and I'm happy that it was made, but TTD still trumps it in my opinion.

Here's how I think of it:

TTD>S:EFK>Kingda Ka

Top Thrill Dragster still reins supreme, but I think Superman: Escape From Kryton is a Major Improvement. I almost like it more than Goliath. Almost.

You do field trips to amusement parks??? I've grown up in the wrong country - we always went to museums....

You've just identified one of our education problems. When I grew up, field trips to the amusement park was a reward for getting good grades, now, in many parts, it's just expected.

You should have a good time at MM, enjoy!

The field trips for schools are really kinda crappy. The kids get history lessons and hear about frontier stuff, the blacksmith, stagecoach etc., and then at the end of the trip they get ONE ride on the log ride. They get a few minutes to buy souvenirs and then back on the bus.

There are however youth groups that go, in bus loads and pretty much just run wild in the park.

[edit] Oh and don't forget independence Hall, that is always exciting for kids.

^Don't say that just yet Gregg.

I'm pretty sure I ranked Kingda Ka like 25 spots lower than TTD! Kingda Ka shuffles, tries to kill you, and has OTSR's. TTD does none of those which makes it much better.

Yeah, I've had a few people tell me that I shouldn't have spoken so quickly (not the first time that's happened).

Guess I just have to get out to CP and find out for myself.

Even when I finally get to ride S:EFK, I'll still rank TTD and Xcelerator higher because of their launches. S:EFK is a major improvement, and I'm glad SFMM invested some money into it to make it so much better, but I still don't think it can beat most Intamin Rocket coasters... Which reminds me that I still need to get to Mirabalandia and ride iSpeed.

I like Kingda Ka better than TTD but all of my KDK rides were in the front seat where it doesn't try to kill you. The OTSR's suck but to me the ride just feel more intense than TTD. I really wasn't expecting much from Superman but now with everyone talking about such major improvements I am so looking forward to riding it!

^^I agree. SFEK was a much needed improvement and I'm happy that it was made, but TTD still trumps it in my opinion.

Here's how I think of it:

TTD>S:EFK>Kingda Ka

Top Thrill Dragster still reins supreme, but I think Superman: Escape From Kryton is a Major Improvement. I almost like it more than Goliath. Almost.

I agree with almost everything you've said here. You forgot Xcelerator. I've ridden all of these rides many many times , especially Xcelerator. I rank Xcelerator right behind TTD.

TTD>Xcelerator>S:EFK>Kingda Krap.

Just had a bit of a thought here. Remember how we used to talk about maybe it would be better if DCA would just shut down for the better part of the year and rebuild itself instead of forcing its guests to walk through construction wall mazes for 2ish years to get to the stuff not under construction/reconstruction? We were thinking even though it would be unfortunate for the park to be closed, the projects would take far less time to build & guests wouldn't be forced to see how crappy construction makes the park look. Remember that?

Well, it seems with the backlot closed for construction of Green Lantern/DC Universe, now we have our chance to examine that theory in reality, only at SFMM rather than DCA. So far I'm preferring the closure with rapidly accelerated construction calendar!

Any chance a live webcam will be set-up near Green Lantern for people to watch via the official sfmm website, or facebook page, since they closed and blocked off the Gotham City area for the rehab and Green Lantern Construction. I think they might be bringing in some big cranes to put the top pieces on the coaster, and they need the space. I am sure someone on the SFMM staff will update us with pictures via the facebook page of Green Lantern, and the rehab of Gotham City.

I also noticed today as I drove into SFMM near the guest drop-area, they don't allow parking anymore in that area. I was going to park really quick, and go grab a couple park maps, but I decided to just leave. It was permitted for less than 10 min. or so, but now there's signs stating no parking, just a drop-off guest area. I guess I'll be walking to the park.

Tim

TTD > S: EFK > Xcelerator > Kingda Ka

I think S: EFK has a very high acceleration now. Before it was like...6 seconds to get to 80 mph. Now its like 100 in three seconds (at least it feels like it) and the rest of the track is just the extra 4 MPH that it uses to make it to the top! lol

^ You can't get back there to get construction pics. The park has been posting construction photos on their FB (well, they did last week)

I know that, but you can see it from the sky tower at least, and also on the initial drop on Riddler. I'm not saying take a camera on Riddler (that's dangerous on that ride / and prohibited), but if not pictures some commentary would be nice. I just looked and their facebook pictures are from last week. with no track construction, only vertical beams.

Edited by coasternut

With Social Networking, the park has been really good about posting pics ... they even let us use the pics they uploaded to FB last week for our MiceChat update today.

I'm sure with construction kicking into high gear they will be updating soon.

Also couldn't hurt to post on their FB wall asking when the next construction update will be. If they know people are interested in seeing them they may get somebody out there to take some pics.