TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I rode X2 and Tatsu with a slight drizzle two Saturdays ago. The fire effects were still operating despite the slight bit of rain and for the record, the rain on Tatsu felt like needles while on X2, it actually made it my best ride to date on that attraction.

I've ridden most of SFMM's coasters in wet weather---including Superman. With more and more rides using magnetic brakes for slowing, rain is less of a problem since friction---or lack thereof---isn't much of a factor anymore.

But of course it depends on the ride and how wet it is.

Eric

^ The reason Superman was open when I rode was because it was during a special passholder preview late in 1996---three months before the ride officially opened to the public.

Superman was supposed to open May 30, 1996, but it wasn't ready to operate at that time. The ride was heavily promoted and SFMM sold a lot of season passes on the basis that it would be open. (Back then, they usually had a special passholder preview day for new rides.)

Superman was finally running at 90% of its potential, so in early December 1996, SFMM decided to send out a special ticket to each passholder entitling them to come to the park for their one ride. The tickets were dated, so you could only come on "your" day, rain or shine.

It happened to rain on "my" day. As a bonus, they had Ninja, Viper, and Revolution also running, and they allowed us to ride Superman as many times as we wanted, not just the "one" promised. I got four rides in and was impressed by it. But two of the four were in very painful rain.

Eric

EDIT: On the day Superman was supposed to open, we were invited out for a special event for it, only to have it cancelled because the ride wasn't ready. An interesting---but sad---coincidence was that May 30, 1996 was the very same day that ride attendant Cherie LaMotte was killed while crossing the tracks in the Revolution station (for those of you who remember).

^ The reason Superman was open when I rode was because it was during a special passholder preview late in 1996---three months before the ride officially opened to the public.

How funny...we may have been there on the same day! The day I did my season pass Superman rides it also poured down rain, Ninja was open, etc, etc....

--Robb "That was a strange afternoon..." Alvey

I rode X2 and Tatsu with a slight drizzle two Saturdays ago. The fire effects were still operating despite the slight bit of rain and for the record, the rain on Tatsu felt like needles while on X2, it actually made it my best ride to date on that attraction.

I agree! The best ride I have ever had on X or X2 was in a blistering downpour. The ride operators were announcing over the intercom, "Unless we get lightening, we will continue to run X in the rain. However, your physical experience may be quite painful." Best ride ever! Well, aside from my face feeling like it was on fire afterward. It was awesome to watch people walk off the ride with their faces beet red.

Guy "I have never had a coaster riding experience that intense!" Koepp

I went there too on a rainy day with my school. It was a lot of fun to ride X2 in the rain. It was strange that day. It poured harder than I have ever seen. I talked to one of the ride ops and he said all rides lost power except X2 and Riddlers. We rode eight rides that day which is a lot knowing it poured for an hour.

Hey guys, I'll be hitting SFMM this Saturday, and was wondering about three things:

1. Anyone else who's going wanna get a Rocket burger with me and the gf? I've never actually met any TPR folks (that I know of)!

2. Are there any rides closed right now?

3. A little off topic...Is West Coast Bash sold out already?

We're gonna be hitting the back of the park a lot, because for some reason its been a while since I've done Gotham City and Cyclone Bay (soon to be Time Travel Terrace?).

My name is Ben, btw.

Hey guys, I'll be hitting SFMM this Saturday, and was wondering about three things:

1. Anyone else who's going wanna get a Rocket burger with me and the gf? I've never actually met any TPR folks (that I know of)!

2. Are there any rides closed right now?

3. A little off topic...Is West Coast Bash sold out already?

We're gonna be hitting the back of the park a lot, because for some reason its been a while since I've done Gotham City and Cyclone Bay (soon to be Time Travel Terrace?).

My name is Ben, btw.

I'm not a loyal TPRer, but if your buying I'll have a burger with ya

Na but I'm also thinking about going this Saturday, (tomorrow), and was wondering about what rides are open, and also how packed anyone thinks the park may be.

I haven't been to Magic Mountain in years, and I've been bugging a friend to get a season pass with me tomorrow before the slumping economy shuts this park down. I know it was raining last weekend so it was probably dead, but it looks like the weather should be okay for tomorrow, will it be packed or still pretty dead since it's still winter?

^I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today!

I'm expecting a pretty packed day, as the sun is finally out after a couple weekends of rain, so I'll be there for the park opening. I look just like my avatar, same shades and all, so if you happen to see me and a pretty Pinay at the JR's around lunchtime, come say hi! Maybe I'll give you an "American" fry (I can't believe they still call them that)!

No word on closed rides yet, which could be a good sign. Can't wait to see Terminator's progress up close! Hopefully I'll see ya!

Does your g/f have a sister? I'm going with an odd number tomorrow...hmm.... haha j/k I hope it's not packed but the weather should be good and I can't remember when MM wasn't packed....as long as I can get on Tatsu and X2 at least once I'll be happy.

The last time I went to MM I was with a group of people that are, well, I guess we can say more Disneyland fans than MM fans, (more interested in the food than the rides)...so they left early and I was only able to go on X and drool at Tatsu before leaving. Yup, $40 for one ride on X....still worth the money but was the worst trip there I'd ever had. I've been waiting to come back for a long time!

(-hoping Superman is open and has a short line....everyone thinks it's lame but I love that ride!)

I have a question since everyone has been talking about the weather at SFMM. We will be there saturday the 28th and right now, a week away, the weather channel is saying showers for that day. I have no idea what "showers" means for SoCal????? Where I live in the Midwest, a shower is really nothing at all, we do get really bad thunderstorms, but when it says showers its more like a light sprinkle.....is it the same for SoCal? I also know that it is a week away and the forecast can change a lot in that week!

Thanks in advance, Jeffrey

^ "Showers" basically means that it's going to rain. Not real hard, but it'll be wet. Probably best not to go to SFMM if it's going to be wet, but that's just my opinion.

However, the park may be closed if the showers are hard and steady enough. Click here and go to the very bottom on the left. That's where the park hours are, and if they're closed, it should say. Or call Guest Relations at the number on the site before going to the park.

Eric