TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^Obviously the laws of physics can't be completely ignored, but I do think there is some validity to that complaint if the park isn't doing anything to recover the guests.

But how many parks do do anything to compensate for it? Generally not a lot, other than posting what's closed before you enter the park.

^Obviously the laws of physics can't be completely ignored, but I do think there is some validity to that complaint if the park isn't doing anything to recover the guests.

But how many parks do do anything to compensate for it? Generally not a lot, other than posting what's closed before you enter the park.

In their very own market, USH used to have a rain check if a show was canceled d/t rain or rain exceeded 1/2 inch. While they don't do that anymore, any time a ride breaks down or is closed, they are generous in handing out candy (Jelly Bellies) and front of the line passes to make up for the inconvenience.

I'd be pretty frustrated if I bought a 1 day ticket to visit the park and so many major rides were down and the response was "too bad. we can't control the weather!"

Does anyone know if the park did anything for disappointed guests?

My son and I received comp tickets on a rained out day in 2012 when we only got to ride Batman and Colossus before they closed the park just a couple hours after opening. We ended up using the tickets a few months later and had a pretty good day.

Does anyone know if the park did anything for disappointed guests?

When I left the park on Sunday around 2 P.M. they didn't appear to be doing anything to compensate guests. I understand a park not doing anything when one or two rides are down, but when several headliner attractions are all closed and those closures were not posted in advance (Riddler's Revenge was the only coaster listed as closed at the entrance), it would be nice if the park were to offer a 1/2 price coupon for a return visit or something. I definitely heard plenty of other guests complaining about the number of closed rides on Sunday, so even the SFMM regulars knew it was abnormal. If I were a GP first time visitor and experienced the park like that, then the park didn't offer any compensation, it would probably be several years before I'd consider giving them another chance.

I think that's what Peoplemovermatt meant to begin with. There should be a recovery system in place for days where several major rides are going to be closed. So that guests don't leave feeling ripped off. Obviously high winded closures can't be helped, so the park should be prepared for it.

What they should have are accurate signs posted about ride closures ... ideally, posted online so people know ahead of time.

OT: If you're in line, and all of a sudden you gotta go #1 or #2, what do you do? Do you get out of line and have someone hold your spot, or just get out of the queue? #seriously #lol

As a comparison, if you have a plane ticket, and there is weather delays or cancellations, the airlines are not responsible. Act of God. So, if you go to a theme park, on a day when the weather is inclement, that is on you, not the theme park. Not trying to sound line a Richard, but cummon. You know what you are getting into when you choose to enter the park on a day like that. I did just that a few weeks ago. It was raining, but decided to go anyway. Fool Throllile, Superman, and X2 never opened, but I never thought the park owed my anything. I knew what I was getting into.

At least this park tries to do something when the weather does not go their way.

I will defend them on certain ride closures, especially when they offer compensation. But, what about early park closures? Are these really necessary? Do they make anyone safer, or are they a business tactic to deal with low profits from low crowds?

This has got to be the dumbest complaint about SFMM I think I have ever seen. And I've been reading this thread since day 1! SFMM has been improving their operations in nearly every way for the last couple of years. Perhaps its a good sign that we have resorted to complaining about SFMM's inability to control wind.

Ughh.

Was I complaining about SFMM's inability to control wind? Of course not. You read my post completely backwards. I was referring to what others have mentioned since your reply - SFMM's lack of effort to recover guests, provide sufficient compensation for wind closures, or do anything beyond shrugging their shoulders and acting all surprised that it's windy when the park is and has always been located at the base of a friggin mountainy area!

I'd be pretty frustrated if I bought a 1 day ticket to visit the park and so many major rides were down and the response was "too bad. we can't control the weather!"
If I were a GP first time visitor and experienced the park like that, then the park didn't offer any compensation, it would probably be several years before I'd consider giving them another chance.

Bingo! And given the topography in and around the park's location, guess how often those senarios actually play out. That's the point I was trying to make. Nobody can control the wind, but the park can and should make more effort to show guests they care about a greatly diminished guest experience when several major rides are closed allegedly because of said wind.

As a comparison, if you have a plane ticket, and there is weather delays or cancellations, the airlines are not responsible. Act of God. So, if you go to a theme park, on a day when the weather is inclement, that is on you, not the theme park. Not trying to sound line a Richard, but cummon. You know what you are getting into when you choose to enter the park on a day like that. I did just that a few weeks ago. It was raining, but decided to go anyway. Fool Throllile, Superman, and X2 never opened, but I never thought the park owed my anything. I knew what I was getting into.

That's not a fair comparison. Weather policies on a flights are very widely reported and understood by most travelers. When people think of inclement weather at theme parks, they think of rain. The majority of theme park goers will look outside, see its clear and sunny, and it doesn't even cross their mind that wind can impact their day. Chances are it's not even windy where they live.

Does the SFMM webpage mention anything about wind?

Edited by Jew

im wondering did anybody happen to notice today (tuesday) during the time they were taking the last bit of track off the 2nd turnaround of colossus that when the crane lifted the last section off that a piece of wood broke off and fell down into the structure? im not complaining in the least bit, just saying I thought that was interesting to see. im sure it didn't hurt him (colossy), but I gasped when I saw this happen. was just wondering if any of u guys saw that? (could be best seen on the right side of the station, right where it was)

besides a complete rain out closure, i never felt they owe us anything. magic mountain has this on their website, like i'm sure all parks do. it is nice that for the most part, they keep all rides running throughout the year instead of complete shut downs like disneyland during off season.

1148328478_ScreenShot2014-12-24at4_03_18PM.png.8956a7f972dfaad3add5b35418bd89ba.png

i'll tell you i've had many wasted hours the last couple years at cedar point for, wind, rain, and tornado warning, in july. yeah, it sucks when you come from so far, but it is what it is.

im wondering did anybody happen to notice today (tuesday) during the time they were taking the last bit of track off the 2nd turnaround of colossus that when the crane lifted the last section off that a piece of wood broke off and fell down into the structure? im not complaining in the least bit, just saying I thought that was interesting to see. im sure it didn't hurt him (colossy), but I gasped when I saw this happen. was just wondering if any of u guys saw that? (could be best seen on the right side of the station, right where it was)

was there any more track added this week? green bunny hop after drop?

OT: If you're in line, and all of a sudden you gotta go #1 or #2, what do you do? Do you get out of line and have someone hold your spot, or just get out of the queue? #seriously #lol

You should be going #1 or #2 before you enter the queue. If you leave the queue, you forefit your spot in the line, plain and simple. Wait till after the ride, or leave the line and start over again from the back!

^^My only concern with that is that it is buried on their website. You have to go to the guest relations drop down menu for it to be visible. Do they put signage up at the entrance, or make it more prominent on their website when severe weather is in the forecast?

This part made me laugh too:

"The park offers many activities that are amazingly fun in any kind of weather—including indoor shows, restaurants, shops, games and arcades. Refunds or rain checks for inclement weather are not offered."

For those curious, looks like Xmas eve is the time to go! Very short lines on all the rides (the longest wait was Full Throttle, about 30 minutes, and about the same for Batman running one train). X2 surprisingly had a short line for the times I went on it throughout the day (under 15 minutes)! Ride ops were on point today, by SF standards. Went on 11 rides total, 28 inversions in one day! Haven't had a full on coaster marathon like that in such a long time, surprised I lasted (and was the lone survivor of my group of 4).

Oh yeah, went on Apocalypse for the first time ever... the layout/speed is actually quite decent (I was surprised, I went into this without looking too much into the layout/design)... BUT, it was bumpy as f*ck! I can take a beating, but that is pretty harsh, yikes!

Still my favorite ride elements at SFMM: [1] X2 inside raven turn after the drop, [2] X2 drop, [3] Tatsu Pretzel Loop, [4] Full Throttle loop (hang time is amazing), [5] Scream zero-g roll (it feels like an inline twist to me)

Ride elements/parts I still hate: [1] that MCBR on Goliath (it literally stopped us three times today! complete standstills. worse than usual), [2] that MCBR on the downside of the Full Throttle top hat

Edited by ioio

Goliath: same here, that mid-course brake right before the helix, SIGHHHHH, it's almost to a complete 100% standstill! It didn't do that when the ride first opened.

Superman: same here, it's all about that acceleration... I assume same thing can be said about TTD and KK.

the slow down mid course i definitely know, but i was curious about the slow down before the first drop. i don't remember doing it before.

while i like superman's acceleration, TTD is way better. Formula Rossa must be insane.

If I remember correctly, Goliath's lift hill wasn't slowed until a few seasons after it opened. I remember the days too when the MCBR didn't slam you against the seat in front of you...I used to grey-out during the helix every single time in those days.

^^ Yes, Christmas Eve was a great day to be at the Mountain. The previous several days were crazy with crowds and wind issues. I ended my Christmas Eve with a mini marathon on "Pocky." I got 15 rides in a row! On the last one, I was the only one on both trains. There was still 10 minutes until closing (8pm), but I said my thanks, goodbys and Merry Christmas to the staff.

I had a great day overall. A total of 50 rides from open to close.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL. AND TO ALL A GOOD RIDE!

I forgot to post, that a lot of structure was removed from Colossus yesterday. These guys are even working on Christmas Eve to get the job done!

No new construction done in the past few days. I think they should have a big bond fire with all that scrap wood being removed...