TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I'm down the street from SFMM. It's been raining on and off since last night. I don't think it's raining hard enough to actually impact many of the rides, I think the main reason for them closing is that all of the terrible SoCal people wouldn't show up today because they're scared of the rain.

I find this closure especially ironic on the day that we put up the TPR Video of Robb and I riding roller coasters in the snow in Japan!

I also figured t was an attendance issue from the LA people. It's raining mildly decently here, which is SFMM's biggest attendance area, and I doubt anyone's gonna wanna go outside today (though I'm about to go biking with my friend ). Even if it was 80 degrees and sunny at SFMM today, I doubt anyone would really show up.

Were going to try SFMM tomorrow as well. Luckily we decided to just skip it today. We would have arrived at 1, about an hour after they closed. We ate a Farrell's instead. It was just like I remembered.... I am getting old.

Does anyone know which side(s) of Colossus have been open recently? If my friends decide to bail on our Guatemala idea we might be going to SFMM instead. I've been on the side of Colossus that's on the right of the entrance, so I was hoping that maybe they've been running the left side or they've been alternating sides on a certain time schedule.

Look what I found.......

In a 2008 interview with Six Flags President and CEO Mark Shapiro, the Los Angeles Times quoted Shapiro stating that Magic Mountain will be installing a new roller coaster for the 2010 season. According to the Six Flags Magic Mountain website, the newest rollercoaster will be placed in between Deja Vu & Johnny Rockets. Acoording to Park Officials, the new addition will be The Roadrunner Express from Six Flags New Orleans. The ride will have a different theming but will be the same rollercoaster.

If this is correct then boo... but if it is wrong...guess where I found this?

^Well it's not coming for older people it's being brought here to thrill children. It's a good conservative move that Six Flags should make due to being bankrupt. But again it's Wikipedia not official word.

Andrew "I want an OFFICIAL announcements from the park itself" Iorio

Just think....the place where anyone can edit.....

Is this true though? I was looking at that ride on YouTube...and I'm somewhat depressed now...that ride really sucks. I'd rather have a Tony Hawk clone.

To clear this up, as I said pages ago:

NOTHING IS OFFICIAL! Until Mr. Jay Thomas makes the announcement himself, what is coming for 2010 and 2011 are merely rumors, and only rumors. As of now, the only facts are that the Animal Farm has been removed, and will be replaced by some new rides (most likely as an expansion of Thomas Town), Hurricane Harbor will be getting an expansion of its own, and a new family coaster will be sitting next to Deja Vu. It could be Road Runner Express, and maybe not, but the park has made no official announcement yet.

Btw, Don't count Wikipedia as a credible source. Shapiro only said SFMM was going to get a family coaster, but he didn't say anything about it being a salvaged ride.

Edit: ^Cooksta beat me to it >.<

I was at the park for most of the day today. I had a late dinner with one of my freelance website clients in the Valley, so I ended up staying at the HI Express across from SFMM last night and went to the park today to get my 2010 Xtreme Pass and get out of the house for the day. I'm glad I did, it was a good day to visit.

Although I was not sure how things would play out with the rain, fortunately, the forecast for today on Weather.com was correct and it was partly cloudy and rather pleasant. Although there was some turnout for Toys For Tots, which was good overall the crowds were very light.

I got to the park about 12 and in between 12-6 I got my pass, got one of the new X2 shirts at Flags (they may not be new but I had not seen them), and managed to get four front row rides on X2, three rides on Tatsu, three rides on Scream, and one ride each on Riddlers, Goldrusher, Ninja, and Terminator:Salvation. Revolution, Goliath, Superman and Batman were all down (I overheard one ride op on Scream mention something in their spiel about a "new and improved Batman The Ride" next year. which was interesting).

The park was clean, all the holiday music was a great touch, every employee I encountered was pleasant, and operations were very good: the only two long waits I had all day were the first one on X2 before they added a second train, and on Terminator, mostly due to the pre-shows as there were empty rows on most of the trains going out. By the end of the day the X2 crew was really doing a great job with dispatches. I did notice that all of the fire and mist effects were turned off on both Terminator and X2 today, although the on board audio was working fine. Whatever is going in the space next to Deja Vu looks to have a very small footprint as there is not much space cleared.

All in all it was a great day at the park. I'm debating doing the New Year's Eve party there this year, depending on what time off I get.

You lucked out with X2. My wife and I were there from about 10:30-12:30. We were about 4 groups back on X2 when it broke down. It was over an hour before they let people on, and it was only one train. But it did run pretty good today, not as jerky as my last visit in September. We also rode Terminator, and it also ran very well (like always).