TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^^There's a very big reason Magic Kingdom gets 17 million people a year (14 million for Disneyland) and it doesn't all have to be only for families, if Cedar Point was more full of Maverick type attractions I think CP would get a LOT more repeat visitors (and more importantly families) and that's where Six Flags seems to be heading. Even Cedar Point seems to be getting that a bit with Maverick and now Shoot the Rapids, it's not Disney quality, but it's more then Millennium Force got.

You can have your cake and eat it too lol.

The fact that Magic Mountain is in the Los Angeles market (9-10 million people) and it's open year round has A LOT to do with the attendance numbers. You can't just look at the raw number and say that it's more popular just because it has higher attendance. As far as true seasonal parks are concerned, I believe the only park with higher attendance than CP is Canada's Wonderland, and that's in Toronto's market.

EDIT: 10,000th reply!

^^Six Flags Magic Mountain also has less attendance then Cedar Point, Six Flags America AND Six Flags Great Adventure despite being open "year round" (weekends and holidays only in the off season) and having that many people live in the area. It wasn't even in the top 20 of North American Parks while the other five major parks it competes with in the same area were. That to me says a LOT about what kind of parks people find popular and what people want out of there parks. Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World in Florida is the one with over 17 million people in 2008.

^Doh! My mistake. This yellow font drives my eyes nuts sometimes. Still though, the point remains, it's year round. And it's Disney. If the Disney parks didn't have the Disney name and label attached to them, they wouldn't get 17 million visitors a year. Anyone who has children is almost required to take them to Disney at some point.

International people come for Disney World because it's one of the most famous things about the United States to them. They could care less what kind of theming the park has. Internationals (the GP internationals, not enthusiasts) just know it's Disney. They don't look at a list of parks and think, "Hmmm, Disney World has the best theming of any park in America, I think I'll go there!"

Either way, you can't fault CP for not having much theming when it NEVER has referred to itself as a theme park. CP is what it is, an amusement park. It's one of the cleanest, safest, and best operated parks in the country, not to mention it has just about the best single-day ticket price value anywhere. It also has one of the best maintenance departments anywhere. If MF was at a Six Flags park and had the lift cable snap, it would have been down for months. CP had that thing back up inside of a week's time (if I remember correctly).

Don't get me wrong, I still like Cedar Point (wouldn't have worked there four years if I didn't) but my point was a little bit of theming can go a long way and I think the parks are now starting to understand that shift in public perception now that the "biggest and baddest" isn't always enough to keep people coming. They have to step up there game a little in order to woo back the crowds. And again SFMM (the park this thread is about lol) is also open year round and doesn't even come close to some seasonal parks, so that argument goes right out the window.

Disney has it's reputation for a reason, You can slap whatever name you want to on them and I guarantee they would still be as popular and well known if they were run the same way as if they were now. You may see it as a boring place for anyone over the age of 11, and that's fine, don't ever let anyone tell you you are wrong, but me as a 25 year old goes as often as I can without children (over 50 trips this year alone) because of the level of quality (and theming) that goes into the parks. Just because you don't like something though, doesn't mean it's not true for the majority of people and I do think the attendance figures speak to that.

Magic Mountain also lacks in attendance because it's seen as the most gang oriented park in the area (thank you parking lot stabbing). Back in the summer of '07, my mom was afraid to send me there without an adult because she thought it was a gang banger hangout. While that's really not true, it just shows what some of the GP thinks of this place.

And Wes, your avatar is beautiful.

Sounds like Raging Waters is getting a slide VERY similar to Wet n Wild's Brain Wash. (Basically an enclosed ProSlide Tornado with effects) Great ride, really enjoyed it. Added a lot to the standard Tornado slide.

This gives me an awesome idea!!!

Hurricane Harbor can enclose Tornado, add effects, fire, music and call it BIZARRO!!!!

The first Water Park Bizarro Transformation!!!

Hire me now Six Flags, you owe me!

^BTW, I totally think Hurricane Harbor is worth a visit. It's a nice waterpark, try to visit it on a quiet day though cause waits can get really bad on peak days.

I had the combo pass but never managed to get to HH this year, oh well, I didn't really feel like I was missing that much since I've been there before.

The only thing I really remember about the place is that the family raft ride had like a super long line, I liked the park though, yet I have no desire to really go back there.

I renewed my Xtreme pass online but got a Play pass in the mail today. The card is green, says 2010 Play Pass on it, does not have the same bar code as my 09 Xtreme pass and does not say "parking" on the pass. Furthermore, my credit card was charged for the Xtreme pass renewal.

Is this a situation that I'd be able to fix by going to Guest Services at the park or would I need to do it through the site?

^ If it were me, I'd just go out to the park. That way, they can take care of the problem right on the spot. And since you're there, you might as well go in.

Eric

I like that idea!

I've not been out there since September, actually, so I'm a bit overdue for a visit.