TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Hooray for X reopening! The only problem, and it can't be avoided is that it'll take away from Tatsu's line, making it's line LONG. I'm not one for long waits. That's why even if you get there before opening, if you want almost no wait, you have to get there an hour before opening and sprint to X. Oh well! I'm just glad I'll finally be able to ride it. Hopefully SFMM will pull through and open it on time! Now that they sold all of those parks, they'll hopefully be doing less budget cuts. Thanks for the info Mike!

~Mike

I dont know if that will actually happen, although there is a very good chance that it will take away from tatsu's line. However, in order to avoid getting caught up in the scramble to get to X, take the exit pass by Revolution and hit up tatsu first then come back later in the day when X's line is shorter. However, if your near the front of the line when the park opens and you can make it to X quickly, take advantage of that too.

EDIT: that is, in front of the line to get into the park

Oh, elissa, by the way, sorry about being rude the other day, I was in a terrible mood and i feel bad that i snapped.

Crazy day at the Mountain!!! I mean crazy.

So the entire area by the RV overhang parking after the parking booths was a frozen lake.

At 9:45 they had a guy go out in front of the park and talk to the guests, similar to the guy and/or gal who would talk on the lifeguard tower. Only instead of talking about the now over 45th anneversary celebration, he was telling guests about all of the frozen rides in the park. Some rides would be opening late because of all the frost from the night before, a frozen transfer track on Viper, a frozen water flume on Log Jammer. He also said that all the walkways were frozen with ice and some people had already slipped.

Bugs Bunny World, Scrambler, Swashbuckler, Spin Out, Tidal Wave, and Batman were all open when the park opened.

Tatsu opened around 11:30, Scream opened by 11:00, Batman opened by 12:00, Superman was open by 1:00, Revolution opened by 11:00,

Gold Rusher was up and down all day.

Not sure if Ninja or Deja Vu ever opened.

Log Jammer had frozen over, Psyclone wasn't scheduled to open. Goliath and X were down for refurb.

Right before they were going to open the park, the alarm at Suzette's bakery went off. (The funnel cake shop at the front of the park.) From the looks of it, a sprinkler system pipe ruptured, and flooded the shop.

He was right, there were huge areas of the walkway that were more like ice skating than walking. It seemed like all the supervisors and maintenence workers were in the park running around for the first few hours of operation, talking on radios and going to each theater, restaurant, and ride building responding to pipe leaks. Even fire hydrants were bursting everywhere.

Here are some pictures below, a very different day at the Mountain.

194957373_IMG_3592copy.jpg.242421efdc9aee919fb9854ce8c1949a.jpg

We heard a water line break, and water started gushing from behing this Waterfront sign.

800269168_IMG_3587copy.jpg.c7ba5f2e3ea4a012a5bc50bfb7410d27.jpg

Ice Skating behing Waterfront and Batman Theater.

200774947_IMG_3601copy.jpg.45ffb7438cf2fa6735bd41ac46e1e2d7.jpg

Roped off area at Waterfront.

637874792_IMG_3625copy.jpg.1c5763bf502271d87745d5b22b1cb152.jpg

No snow ball fights allowed for you.

1732181679_IMG_3628copy.jpg.97a1ce46a4a1cab289affe0d85dce1bd.jpg

Daffy was thawing out as well.

2102492943_IMG_3633copy.jpg.fabbddc17b17ed093454e641c19df92b.jpg

Within a few minutes maintanence arrived to turn it off.

I witnessed at least 4 of the same scenarios throughout the day.

530555602_IMG_3632copy.jpg.c3465d71cf9d5da0e78f121fb49b581e.jpg

Seconds later it burst....

....literally seconds.

1406322290_IMG_3630copy.jpg.18e0487a1547715c3cf03f0d20e353ea.jpg

A sprinkler dripping quite quickly.

Ok, now what would cost more: redoing Metro, or putting in a train? I honestly don't know.

As for X, I'd try to go next weekend, but my stupid pass expired last month and I don't think we can afford new ones right now (damned if we'll pay $15 for parking). I still think as of now we won't be back there until April.

-Amanda "I miss X too" V.

This is what I heard. The whole hill going to the summit had frozen over had to make a walk way. Also the area of colossus and scream had a lot of ice which probably took 3 hours. Restrooms were closed and they were giving out free rides on Dive devil.

^^ Not sure if it means that the systems are outdated. The pipes are not insulated isn't that why the pipes froze over?

It was even colder at Disneyland, and they were fine. All of Disney's pipes are insulated aren't they?

Dude, how fun would it be to go down the ice on the Samuri Summit Hill!!! that would be insane! watch, Six flags will get a bunch of sleds and then claim that they have and 18th Coaster

(sorry, i thought it was funny)

Goliath is down for Refurb? Any guesses to how long this will last?

That's so awesome. Makes you wonder how outdated their fire infastructure is to have all those pipes freeze/rupture (I'm guessing that is what happened).

It actually depends on the system, systems are dry or wet. A dry system the pipes are empty, water only releases into the system when the head is exposed to extreme heat. In a wet system (which is what I'm assuming SFMM has from the pics), water is in the system at all times.

If the heads freezes in a wet system, they can fail and break, which is what looks to have happened here. I had a similiar property damage claim in an aircraft hangar a few years ago.

Yeah, just an X update.

Although everyone acts like its going to open on the weekend, I really doubt it. While although it could be mechanically ready to go ( which is a large maybe ) nobody is certified at it. So a massive amount of training needs to be done.

_six

^Didn't stop them from opening Deja Vu...

But at least they actually fired that manager. Assuming they still have the same training structure, if there is no certified people, I doubt it is opening this weekend. Has it really been a year since X has been open? Or does SFMM suck so much ass to work at that all the certified people have left? Or maybe it's the training supervisor that sucks and didn't do retesting? Or trying to pull people in for weekday training to ensure it's open just makes too much sense? Only SFMM...

Oh, and I'm also guessing Mike was about one of 10 employees to actually read that cell phone memo. I'm sure it's been trashed at most attractions by now.

A year since X operated? Wow....I mean....an amusement park with a ride as popular as X should want to get it up and running ASAP....I mean gotta be alot of dissapointed theme park goers out there who missed X for their credit list in the last year....ouch

^Didn't stop them from opening Deja Vu...

But at least they actually fired that manager. Assuming they still have the same training structure, if there is no certified people, I doubt it is opening this weekend. Has it really been a year since X has been open? Or does SFMM suck so much a$$ to work at that all the certified people have left? Or maybe it's the training supervisor that sucks and didn't do retesting? Or trying to pull people in for weekday training to ensure it's open just makes too much sense? Only SFMM...

Oh, and I'm also guessing Mike was about one of 10 employees to actually read that cell phone memo. I'm sure it's been trashed at most attractions by now.

Well, everyone lost their certification on December 31st, 2006. While I think everyone has already retaken their test, they still need to be watched in position for a given amount of time.

Yeah, Joey. I haven't seen any crackdown on the whole cell phones being used in front of guest. Its going to have to be the leads who enforce it, not the supervisors in 95% of the cases; and they sure aren't going to.

_six

A year since X operated? Wow....I mean....an amusement park with a ride as popular as X should want to get it up and running ASAP....I mean gotta be alot of dissapointed theme park goers out there who missed X for their credit list in the last year....ouch

It has not been a year since X has been operated. The last time it was running was August 2006. The week I was at the park is when it went down for this period. It was running the first day I visited-should of went on it then 'cause the next day----BOOM!

I would have been there this weekend, but since I'm MIA because I had my wisdom teeth pulled yesterday, I only have the news itself, no pictures.

Cyclone Bay is virtually a ghost town. Ashley's Old Time Photos, Woody's Sign Shop, and Buongusto are all closed in Cyclone Bay. Ashley's was seen emptying out everything from their location last week.

The roof of Suzette's Bakery has been taken out completely. It would be great if they could redo both sides of the store. I have a strong opinion about Suzette's.

They do have two seperate kitchens on either side of the store right? At the end of most operating days there is usually a long line for funnel cakes. Think of how many people end up not waiting in line for a funnel cake because the line was to long. How many more sales could they have made if there wasn't a long line?

If it is a matter of staffing, then when the restaurants at the back of the park close an hour before the park does like Food Etc., and Carousel Grill, send the non-minors to Suzzette's and open up the other side of Suzzette's. IMO, the funnel cakes is one of the only strong, and popular, food offerings in the park. Why not sell as many as you can, even if it is just on the weekends.