TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^No way! Think about the ejector airtime! A 40mph launch right into a holding brake! Then just as you recover from the trauma inducing whiplash, you are released into a forceless, uninspired series of pointless inversions. It should be called "The Holy Grail of Ejector! Followed by same old, same old, B&M ,Blah! Blah! Blah!" the ride.

I'm in love with this idea!

^No way! Think about the ejector airtime! A 40mph launch right into a holding brake! Then just as you recover from the trauma inducing whiplash, you are released into a forceless, uninspired series of pointless inversions. It should be called "The Holy Grail of Ejector! Followed by same old, same old, B&M ,Blah! Blah! Blah!" the ride.

I'm in love with this idea!

Actually that sounds a lot like the end of YOLOCoaster.

Valkyria's record is tallest dive coaster in Europe. I don't think SFMM is competing for that title.

If they want a record breaking dive coaster, they'll need to beat Valravn, at 223 ft. and a drop of 214.

Oh yeah brain fart I totally Blanked on CP's Valravn either way if SFMM is going for a dive coaster and 9 times out of 10 they'll be going for the record that's going to be one hell of a vertical drop up on that hill

Here is a trip report for Saturday - this was my first ever visit to the park. Started off at Füll Throttle (which I thought highly of - with its loops and speed) and had very little wait. Then went to X2, where the ride was experiencing technical difficulties, so left. Tatsu was pretty much a station wait late morning, which was really nice. I thankfully didn't grey out on Tatsu's pretzel loop. The ride itself was amazing. The line for X2 was about two hours the second go around, including technical difficulties again. X2 was also fantastic - sat in the inside. Scream was a station wait; it was smooth and a lot of fun. Twisted Colossus was about a 45 minute wait. I really liked all the airtime on it and thought it was slightly better than The Joker at SFDK. Unfortunately, there was no dueling when I rode. A ride operator said Batman was down when first got to it, so left. When I went on it at 7 something, the line went past the switchbacks and turned out to be a longer line than Twisted Colossus. As for the ride, I found it similar to Flight Deck at California's Great America, both of which I'd say are excellent rides. Goliath also experienced a delay when I was in line for it, but thankfully the issue got fixed. I was really apprehensive about doing it, especially with the part that goes through the tunnel and the helix. I thought I might grey out on it, and I'm really glad I didn't. The 255-foot drop was incredible and the ride seemed to move fast. When I went to wait in line for Green Lantern, they said the ride was experiencing an extended delay. After a while, decided to leave the line. When I went to do Superman after 9, Armitron said the wait time was 90 minutes and as I was waiting in line, they said they were experiencing a delay, so decided to skip it.

Here is a trip report for Sunday. Started off with The New Revolution. I didn't use the VR and really liked the ride. I then went to Superman, which had little wait, and was quite the rush. I just wish the ride was longer. Green Lantern was just a little longer than a station wait late morning. It was definitely a unique ride experience, but I found it way too rough. (I was seated on the outside.) I don't think I'd give it a thumbs up. Apocalypse was a station wait early on. I liked it, thought it moved fast, but also found it too rough, even with the re-tracking. Ninja was also just a station wait. I only kind of liked it because I felt it didn't pack much of a punch. The Riddler's Revenge was running just one train, so the wait was extended. I thought it packed quite the punch and was more smooth than rough. I rode in the very front. The very front of Viper, which I rode in, had the longest wait of all the seats. I agree with the consensus the ride is definitely too rough, but overall I still liked it and what it had to offer. Lex Luthor wasn't operating when I wanted to do it mid-afternoon and a park worker standing in front of the entrance said no one had ridden it today.

On the whole, I was really impressed with the rides that I went on.

For a possible future visit, would it likely be more crowded the last weekend of August or the second weekend of Fright Fest?

Does X2 typically have its scheduled maintenance at the same time every year?

Edited by moviemansig

There's nothing "high speed" about this chase. The dude is literally driving the speed limit, not driving in the HOV lane and signaling to change lanes. This is the most boring police chase ever.

Sheesh, OJ's police chase was the same way. Why can't LA get the good stuff?

There's nothing "high speed" about this chase. The dude is literally driving the speed limit, not driving in the HOV lane and signaling to change lanes. This is the most boring police chase ever.

Sheesh, OJ's police chase was the same way. Why can't LA get the good stuff?

we've gotten some good ones last couple weeks. the one that ended in long beach with the guy driving ramming into another car getting ejected to his death. another one where the dude finally stopped and crossed the freeway, then acted like he was going to jump off the freeway to the street below. oh yeah, and the stolen big rig the week before.

lol Los Angeles is such a steaming pile of sh*t and so are its cops! Why don't they just get in front of the guy, or spin the car out when he gets down to 15 mph? So stupid and a complete waste of time and resources.

As for the dive coaster discussion...Sorry guys. I rode Valvereenonemonecopactiscus back in May, last ride of the night, it was really mundayne. Again, it just seems like the CP fanboys amp up a ride for the park they love even though the ride really isn't that good. Same B&M problems where there wasn't a lot of airtime even in the back seat, overall the ride was over-designed, even the inversions you barely even feel them. Making it taller to beat the records is not going to help. The only worse B&M in the park is Gatekeeper, such a tease and maybe Mantis. Ugh, even my 50 year old Uncle said "Man! I thought that would be so much better!" Couldn't disagree.

Unsurprisingly Maverick, TTD, and Millenium Force reigned supreme over every other coaster in the park.

Would much prefer a double launch terrain Intamin or Mack like Helix, Maverick or Construction 18 being installed at Blackpool.

As for the dive coaster discussion...Sorry guys. I rode Valvereenonemonecopactiscus back in May, last ride of the night, it was really mundayne. Again, it just seems like the CP fanboys amp up a ride for the park they love even though the ride really isn't that good. Same B&M problems where there wasn't a lot of airtime even in the back seat, overall the ride was over-designed, even the inversions you barely even feel them. Making it taller to beat the records is not going to help. The only worse B&M in the park is Gatekeeper, such a tease and maybe Mantis. Ugh, even my 50 year old Uncle said "Man! I thought that would be so much better!" Couldn't disagree.

This is one of the most "Enthusiast" things I've read ever!

Valravn wasn't built for overly particular, and snobby enthusiasts like you. Nor was it built for CP "Fanboys". It was built for the people of the world to be awed by, and enjoy, and that's exactly what has been happening all year long at CP. I've been to CP with a large number of non-enthusiast GP this year, and to a man (or woman), every one of them loved Valravn, and was visibly impressed by it! It is a mega-hit coaster addition for CP, and SFMM would be very wise to add something like it in the near future!

LOL right. My 50 year old uncle and his wife, and my parents saying they "expected it to be better" after riding MF, Maverick, and TTD is such an ENTHUSIAST thing. Get the hell outta here!

NO MORE B&M'S AT MAGIC MOUNTAIN!! EVER!

CP can keep their lame-o B&M coaster records for all I care!

^Well, my 66 year old dad who loved it, trumps your 50 year old Uncle, so YOU get out of here!

Additionally, I've been to CP with no less that 15 GP this year, and they all thought it was great! Not "better than Maverick or MF" great, necessarily, but certainly a "very exciting and worthwhile investment" great!

It would appear you are somebody who has an axe to grind with B&M's in particular, and THAT is what is the most enthusiast thing ever!

^Wow, you're such a good sport and I appreciate it! Rare find I love the enthusiasm!

I definitely DO hate on B&M's because after being on the snappy ones from the 90's, the ones I've ridden in the past decade were such let downs. I've been on Levi and Behemoth and Gatekeeper and Diamondback, and I remember thinking when we hit the brakes "Why are they making us go up so high if the ride is going to be so lame?"

Then my brother rides i305 and he's says it's the best coaster he's ever been on. Then I sat next to him on MF in the backseat in the morning and he said "This one was REALLY GOOD, but Intimidator, better." And then we ride Valverononemonen and he says, "Dude, this was a super let down!" He doesn't even know manufacturers or ride types. And to me, B&M has just become SO YAWNWORTHY and over designed and I would much rather prefer an Intamin or Mack with some airtime or some miscalculated forces instead of the same cookie cutter crap with trim brakes on AIRTIME HILLS that they pull out of their butts all the time. Even on brand new Mako people complain that the ride is tall and just completely lackluster thanks to B&M overengineering the ride to keep it from being any fun.

Look, if SFMM wants to do the tallest fastest coaster in the world that's 500 feet tall and is a B&M dive coaster, I'll bite.

But besides that I'm over the same song and dance snorer from B&M that's a foot or two taller to break some records that don't matter for the same letdown coaster experience that they've been providing for over a decade now.

^Hey, to each their own! I don't agree about B&M's being forceless (I just got a ride on Diamondback last Friday that was one of the most exciting coaster rides I've EVER had!), but that's the great thing about this hobby - we are all different, and there's enough stuff out there to excite each of us!

I'm just saying that there is no denying that the GP loves Dive Coasters, and that's the demographic CP, and SFMM, are building coasters for!

It's amazing how many enthusiasts don't want to admit that modern B&M wing and dive coasters are mostly forceless, probably because they're easily impressed. Gatekeeper and X-Flight in the back row are themselves more forceful than Valravn in any seat, while Banshee and Thunderbird are actual forceful coasters albeit also without the lateral G force. Haven't ridden Fury or Leviathan, but those at least seem to have fast paced laterals and airtime.

So rather than wasting $20 million on a crappy forceless dive coaster, more parks should save up for even more thrilling GP crowd pleasers like launchers and alternate position coasters. There's a reason Maverick is now more popular than Gatekeeper despite being in the back of the CP, and it's because even the GP can tell when a coaster is less thrilling. Six Flags has usually installed more forceful and fast paced coasters instead of just record breakers, and they should continue that trend.

It's amazing how many enthusiasts don't want to admit that modern B&M wing and dive coasters are mostly forceless, probably because they're easily impressed. Gatekeeper and X-Flight in the back row are themselves more forceful than Valravn in any seat, while Banshee and Thunderbird are actual forceful coasters albeit also without the lateral G force. Haven't ridden Fury or Leviathan, but those at least seem to have fast paced laterals and airtime.

So rather than wasting $20 million on a crappy forceless dive coaster, more parks should save up for even more thrilling GP crowd pleasers like launchers and alternate position coasters. There's a reason Maverick is now more popular than Gatekeeper despite being in the back of the CP, and it's because even the GP can tell when a coaster is less thrilling. Six Flags has usually installed more forceful and fast paced coasters instead of just record breakers, and they should continue that trend.

Take your meds. You're a SF fantard. SF has installed junk compared to CF for years. There is a reason that SF has no Giga's and CF 3 since 2010. SF is cloning the garbage 4D's b/c they are cheap and idiots like you will keep buying passes no matter how many non thrilling garbage 4D's they install.

It's amazing how many enthusiasts don't want to admit that modern B&M wing and dive coasters are mostly forceless, probably because they're easily impressed.

Look at this guy. See this, this is why I don't like enthusiasts. This right here.

Okay, so where do we begin? First of all, tons of people are "willing to admit" that B&M coasters can be forceless, but that doesn't mean they're not a ton of fun. No, just because someone has a different opinion than you doesn't mean that they're "easily impressed". That's incredibly arrogant. My fiance for example has been on (I hate doing this but it's necessary for the argument) over 250 coasters now, including things like El Toro, Wicked Cyclone, Maverick, Intimidator 305 and Fury 325 and what's her favorite? Gatekeeper. I don't get it, I never will... but it doesn't mean she's easily impressed. Some people just like different things. Your opinion does not reign supreme. There's a reason Gatekeeper and Valravn pull huge lines despise their great capacity.

So rather than wasting $20 million on a crappy forceless dive coaster, more parks should save up for even more thrilling GP crowd pleasers like launchers and alternate position coasters

If I were you I'd call up the parks and let them know. Since you're an expert on what everyone wants and what coasters deliver the best return on investment you should call up their management divisions one at a time and inform them that you've crunched the numbers and that they shouldn't "waste money" on a Dive Coaster that you personally wouldn't like when they should be investing in "alternate position coasters".

There's a reason Maverick is now more popular than Gatekeeper despite being in the back of the CP

And finally this gem. You were hoping to bury it so that nobody would call you out on your bull*** weren't you? Surprise... there's absolutely no measurable way for him to prove this point. He just made it up. He's sure as hell not going based off of ridership numbers (I believe they were last released in 2014). Gatekeeper did 1,898,204 riders, Maverick did 1,153,896 riders. Gatekeeper destroyed Maverick in this department. All of the B&M's are likely destroying Maverick and Dragster in this department since the Rougarou conversion has made that ride more popular, added a 3rd train and sped up dispatch times).

Now I understand that this isn't entirely fair. Gatekeeper is a high capacity people eater with 32 passenger trains. Gatekeeper also has incredible up-time. Maverick is a low capacity coaster with 12 passenger trains that breaks down constantly. It never had a chance to give more rides than Gatekeeper, but at the same time since you're not going based off of ridership numbers and the capacity argument removes your ability to use some anecdotal explanation like "Maverick has a longer line, therefore it's more popular" since it holds a MAXIMUM of 12 people per train, it's clear that you're pulling this statement that you're trying to pass off as fact straight out of your a**.

It might be true, but there's no way to measure that. You made it up to make it look like everyone else agrees with you. Sorry, they don't. Personally I like Maverick way more than Gatekeeper and Valravn but that doesn't make me right and I don't speak for everyone else. And more importantly I like all 3 of them and would be thrilled to have any of them in my home park.

Just because you make sh*t up confidently doesn't mean you're not making sh*t up. Peace.

raw

Well, IMO, Gatekeeper is the best B&M in the park, closely followed by Valravn. The other can't even compete, and I wouldn't mind if they were removed TBH. But I'd say GK and Valravn are within the top 5 coasters in the park, with GK possibly beating out MF. I just like the feeling of flying and flipping around without forces. It's kinda cool!

I've never understood why a large (or at least very vocal) part of this community believes that forceless means a ride sucks. Are GateKeeper and Valravn mostly forceless? Sure. Have I had a ton of fun every single time I've ridden either of them? Yes. That's just me, though. If you want to only enjoy the most forceful rides, go for it. But for me, the amount of fun I have does not usually correlate with how forceful it is.

And saying that MF, Maverick, and TTD still reign supreme over Valravn means absolutely nothing. Those would be the top three coasters at most parks across the world.

I've never understood why a large (or at least very vocal) part of this community believes that forceless means a ride sucks. Are GateKeeper and Valravn mostly forceless? Sure. Have I had a ton of fun every single time I've ridden either of them? Yes. That's just me, though. If you want to only enjoy the most forceful rides, go for it. But for me, the amount of fun I have does not usually correlate with how forceful it is.

And saying that MF, Maverick, and TTD still reign supreme over Valravn means absolutely nothing. Those would be the top three coasters at most parks across the world.

Agreed! And if the forces are the forces typically found on B&Ms, I think I probably prefer the forceless ones. If we are talking about Intamin however, the more forceful and the more airtime the better.