TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Small brush fire.

We better all get used to that in the coming months. It is a shame that California is not better prepared for this drought. With our planet covered in 2/3 water there is no excuse for this. We should be investing in Desalination Plants not a silly hi-speed train through the Central Valley. Sorry to get off topic everyone.

We better all get used to that in the coming months. It is a shame that California is not better prepared for this drought. With our planet covered in 2/3 water there is no excuse for this. We should be investing in Desalination Plants not a silly hi-speed train through the Central Valley. Sorry to get off topic everyone.

Preach!!

Brush fire. LAFD is currently snorkeling water out of Castaic Lake.

Fire / Smoke was non issue and was put out in about 30 minutes. It was about 2/3 miles north of Six Flags and on other side of freeway.

DJeXel what you doing are you hanging out a window of the Sunkist building? Heck if so put up a live web cam pointed about about 45 degrees further left and lets watch Lex Luther Drop of Doom.

Small brush fire.

It is a shame that California is not better prepared for this drought. With our planet covered in 2/3 water there is no excuse for this. We should be investing in Desalination Plants not a silly hi-speed train through the Central Valley.

Blame environmentalists and the liberals in California for that. They don't want Desalination Plants because they say they're "too loud" or "too ugly" or have dozens of other reasons that are stupid. How is any of that going to matter when we're out of fresh water?! At this point there's no other solution unless we intend on being dependent on other states until we get a couple feet of rain.

From what I have read there have been several attempts to put a Desalination Plant in the starting phases near Southern California for years now, but they always get held back, and now even if they started, it might be too late by the time they're done. Gotta say, I'm all for one!

Small brush fire.

It is a shame that California is not better prepared for this drought. With our planet covered in 2/3 water there is no excuse for this. We should be investing in Desalination Plants not a silly hi-speed train through the Central Valley.

Blame environmentalists and the liberals in California for that. They don't want Desalination Plants because they say they're "too loud" or "too ugly" or have dozens of other reasons that are stupid. How is any of that going to matter when we're out of fresh water?! At this point there's no other solution unless we intend on being dependent on other states until we get a couple feet of rain.

From what I have read there have been several attempts to put a Desalination Plant in the starting phases near Southern California for years now, but they always get held back, and now even if they started, it might be too late by the time they're done. Gotta say, I'm all for one!

Desalinization is very expensive and energy intensive. It will probably work for rich coastal communities (Santa Barbara) but the scale of the drought in California is not possible to meet with desalinization, especially for food growing in the central valley. It's physics, not politics. Sorry.

And southern California has been dependent on taking water from other states for many decades and probably will remain so as long as LA has as many people as it does.

It wouldn't surprise me to see water rides get restricted or closed this summer, there's very little snowpack this year. I saw Mt Shasta a few days ago and while it had some snow on it you could also see rock near the summit. Shasta Lake was very low at a time of year it should be full.

I've enjoyed Magic Mountain most when it's drizzly in the winter, not too cold, not crowded and the air is at its cleanest. Looking forward to Twisted Colossus, it will be my first RMC (excluding topper track on Tremors, and technically RMC also helped build El Toro, my #1 coaster I've ridden). Thanks to everyone taking all of the pictures.

^Water rides are actually pretty efficient. They filter/recycle the same water once they are filled.

Let's also remember this is the SFMM thread and not the water conservation thread.

Do you think Twisted or any other RMC Coaster would run their trains backwards? Kind of a nod toward Colossus running their trains backwards.

Well, I have heard (not saying this is guaranteed) that in order to run coasters backwards, you need proper headrests on the cars, which I don't think the RMC trains (or even the Gerstlaur trains) have. That is why when original colossus ran one side backwards, they had to use the B&M trains from Psyclone, because they had headrests. And that is why they could run it backwards in the 80s when they had the PTC trains that headrests.

So the answer you are looking for is no, unfortunately.

Well, I have heard (not saying this is guaranteed) that in order to run coasters backwards, you need proper headrests on the cars, which I don't think the RMC trains (or even the Gerstlaur trains) have. That is why when original colossus ran one side backwards, they had to use the B&M trains from Psyclone, because they had headrests. And that is why they could run it backwards in the 80s when they had the PTC trains that headrests.

So the answer you are looking for is no, unfortunately.

Do you know "who" says they need headrests to run backwards? I don't doubt you since our PTCs gained headrests when we started running backwards during haunt, I'm just curious why that is.

Anyone know if Twisted Colossus will get an emblem on its lifthill like the one that IRat has or the one that Wicked Cyclone will be getting?

From what I heard they are going to be putting something up, but they have not confirmed what exactly.

Maybe in like 10-15 yrs Six Flags can purchase a train from RMC or Gerstlauer to be used in rotation like Namtab.

I wonder if the current drought has anything to do with Apocalypse looking like death

I don't know, but, and it's not nearly as bad as Apocalypse, but I noticed over the weekend that Gold Striker at CGA looks considerably more faded and dreary than it did at the end of last season. I dont know how much lack of rain can affect the color of wood if at all.

Maybe in like 10-15 yrs Six Flags can purchase a train from RMC or Gerstlauer to be used in rotation like Namtab.

I wonder if the current drought has anything to do with Apocalypse looking like death

I don't know, but, and it's not nearly as bad as Apocalypse, but I noticed over the weekend that Gold Striker at CGA looks considerably more faded and dreary than it did at the end of last season. I dont know how much lack of rain can affect the color of wood if at all.

Well not lack of rain per se, but just the general lack of moisture in the air. My skin has even been drier than normal these last few years

Here's a picture of Twisted Colossus this morning. More work has been done to the structure, but there is progress on the top gun.

Seems like inversions will take up the majority of the remaining construction. Looks awesome with the new wood.

Not sure, but Ghostrider still looks good an hour away at KBF. Not even close to being as faded as Apocalypse, and it's 17 years old.

I can't believe Ghostrider is that old!!! Ghostrider for the first 5 years of its life is still my favorite wooden coaster!

Not sure, but Ghostrider still looks good an hour away at KBF. Not even close to being as faded as Apocalypse, and it's 17 years old.

True true. Then again KBF is a lot closer to the beach whilst MM is closer to the high desert. Who knows if any of this makes a difference, just hypothesizing