TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I don't mean to sound like that guy, but this is why each of those aren't my favorites...

yolo, i don't really call anything it does a drop. over the top hat would be pretty cool, if it didn't brake.

goliath is pretty good, but the slow down at the top kills it. it would be much better, imo, if it just flew over. i could have sworn when it was new it did. can anyone confirm that? my memory fails me.

the B&M twisty drops i'm not really a fan of. but, i do really love Banshee's drop, it's profiled different. back, outside right please.

superman is better for acceleration than the drop, for me.

viper and X2 both beat me up so i just spend more time on stuff i like.

my favorites are long straight ejector drops. so, although smaller, i'm sure i'll love colossus' new drops.

^ AGREED! That Yolo brake on the downside of that top hat completely kills that element for me, and is the only non-smooth part of that ride (it's a pretty hard brake!)

Goliath: same here, that mid-course brake right before the helix, SIGHHHHH, it's almost to a complete 100% standstill! It didn't do that when the ride first opened.

Superman: same here, it's all about that acceleration... I assume same thing can be said about TTD and KK.

Viper: ehhh, too bumpy

X2: I'm one of the people that don't find X2 to be harsh at all, especially considering all of what it's doing. And that face-down drop with the mini-pip at the top make this pretty much perfect. Compared to Dinocanda/Eejanaika, I wish X2 had that full-twist+corkscrew element in place of where the backflip is after the inner raven turn. But given X2 was the first of it's type way before the latter two, I'd give it a pass

I mean, I'm pretty sure small drops are made sometimes to increase intensity of forces. Imagine a 100 foot drop: Pop of airtime, small sense of falling down, followed quickly by positive G's. Now for a larger drop: The large curvature at the apex would probably result in less airtime at the top, more falling sense, but positive G's would be less sudden and more gradual near the end of the drop. Just think of something like a mega lite (small drop) and Leviathan (large drop). I'm pretty sure the better, more fun, and forceful drop goes to the mega lite... but that's just me.

Personally I love what RMC is doing, they make not the largest coasters with the biggest elements, but they make compact rides that are intense, quick, and fun - which is surely what every enthusiast loves. And that is why they have done so well in the industry.

I mean, I'm pretty sure small drops are made sometimes to increase intensity of forces. Imagine a 100 foot drop: Pop of airtime, small sense of falling down, followed quickly by positive G's. Now for a larger drop: The large curvature at the apex would probably result in less airtime at the top, more falling sense, but positive G's would be less sudden and more gradual near the end of the drop. Just think of something like a mega lite (small drop) and Leviathan (large drop). I'm pretty sure the better, more fun, and forceful drop goes to the mega lite... but that's just me.

Personally I love what RMC is doing, they make not the largest coasters with the biggest elements, but they make compact rides that are intense, quick, and fun - which is surely what every enthusiast loves. And that is why they have done so well in the industry.

yeah, alan even said in that interview that he thinks wicked cyclone will be the best one yet, and it's small. because yeah, the taller the drop, the more pullout you need. i think TC will be a decent combo of both, but more on the larger drawn out scale than non stop action of wicked cyclone.

Goliath: same here, that mid-course brake right before the helix, SIGHHHHH, it's almost to a complete 100% standstill! It didn't do that when the ride first opened.

Superman: same here, it's all about that acceleration... I assume same thing can be said about TTD and KK.

the slow down mid course i definitely know, but i was curious about the slow down before the first drop. i don't remember doing it before.

while i like superman's acceleration, TTD is way better. Formula Rossa must be insane.

I can't believe people still think bigger automatically means better. It does not.

Even Alan Schilke has said this. The bigger the ride is, the less elements that can be designed into the ride, because that space is taken up by pull-ins and pull-outs of oversized elements, which are designed that way to accommodate the high speeds and high forces. The perfect example would be Goliath at SFGA. More elements can added to the layout of a smaller ride, because less speed means less forces, which means that there doesn't need to be long drawn out pull-outs and pull-ins. This is what allows for the small airtime hill immediately after the first drop, which is probably going to have ejector airtime.

I'm torn on TC. Of course evaluating the ride based on what we see here is silly, but it is natural to project and hypothesize. The drops do look relatively unimpressive, but as others have mentioned, that has little bearing on how intense a ride will be. Given that much of the remainder is fairly low to the ground, the speed by which it takes the course should produce some intense forces (hopefully more than just violent seat-slamming). With that said, Colossus is a ride that has an unmistakable visual presence—it was iconic in the past due to its size/complexity, and its position in the park marks it a spectacle. In that sense, the visual of the drops isn't anything to write home about, and hopefully as the rest of the track develops, it'll look a little more eye-catching and spectacular. Of course the experience of the drops is a different matter altogether.

The thing that really has me torn is the "big oval" layout as part of the appeal of a wooden coaster (for me) is the directional shifts in and through the structure—of which this has very little. One the one hand, it does look like it's going to have some nice engagement with the other track (on the inversions at least—that hi-five thing doesn't look even remotely appealing to me as of right now), but on the other, I'm with Schilke in that it's not as impressive looking as some of the rest. (Then again, when I first saw Full THrottle design, I was entirely unimpressed, but ride-wise, I now find it to be the best thing in the park.)

As far as other drops in the park go, I do seem to recall Goliath cresting the lift hill a bit faster when it opened, but I don't recall the effect being that different on the first half of the ride (the second half has been severely neutered). I still find it to be a great first drop, but it's the only one in the park that feels somewhat intense to me as the rest are largely swooping or banked. The first drop on Apocalypse is a good one though—especially toward the back of the train, even though it's not very high up. X2's drop does nothing for me at all, personally.

Anyhow, it's great to watch this all develop!

Are people here seriously complaining about the size of the first drop?! No wonder Californian enthusiasts have a bad name, you idiots embarrass me! Each of those drops will have more airtime than anything us Californians have, yet you all still complain! Anybody here who hasn't been on coasters outside of California will surely have a new favorite coaster next year.

That drop is already looking super steep! I can't wait to see them both fleshed out and to see more of the layout get constructed! I haven't been this excited for something in California since Tatsu construction when I was 12... I'm hoping to get 14 new credits between now and May to make this my 300th

Sad to see people in a forum of coaster enthusiasts resort to name-calling and self-aggrandizement over the discussion of a roller coaster design. Certainly not conducive to discourse, but perhaps the self-righteousness is worth it? As I mentioned, the drop on Apocalypse is small but is, in my opinion, one of the most powerful in the park. My comment was based on the visual rather than the experiential effect of the ride. So yes, sad to see that discussion here is frowned upon and considered to be "nauseating" and "embarrassing." Hope your day picks up from here, guys

Edited by Rotura Violenta

Sad to see people in a forum of coaster enthusiasts resort to name-calling and self-aggrandizement over the discussion of a roller coaster design. Certainly not conducive to discourse, but perhaps the self-righteousness and is worth it? As I mentioned, the drop on Apocalypse is small but is, in my opinion, one of the most powerful in the park. My comment was based on the visual rather than the experiential effect of the ride. So yes, sad to see that discussion is frowned upon as "nauseating" and "embarrassing." Hope your day picks up from here, guys

Grow some balls, dude. The comments towards your comments weren't even as bad as you're making them out to be.

Want to know what's even more annoying than someone complaining about a ride? Someone who is complaining about someone complaining about someone complaining about a ride.

You can either choose to continue the discussion without annoying comments or simply stop posting here.

Edited by robbalvey

Thanks for posting the progress pictures everyone... Maggiekat and I consider this our home park (even though we live in Vegas) and we eagerly await each progress report

Indeed. The reports and the pictures make me want to visit this park again, mainly for Twisted Colossus, but I also want to get all the credits I missed.

I hate to be that girl but I was initially disappointed with TC's drop. I'm one of those people who really like steep, tall drops. Millennium Force is one of my favorite coasters because of the drop. I loved the drop on Goliath (SFGAm).

However, I get what you all are saying about the ride and I know I won't be disappointed with TC at all. I think the airtime will make up for the drop for me. After falling in love with Goliath's inversions, I'm really excited for TC's!

And great photo! It's nice to see this thing finally topped off (halfway).