TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I am loving it more recently. Love that little pop of air, which seems awesome, until TC, then it will feel like positive G's.

I always feel like that pop is only there in the front seat. I never seem to really feel it so much in the last row. Its been 2 years but I some how doubt that Riddler has deteriorated into an unridable attraction.

Try riding King Kobra at KD and then come back and talk about rough standups

^Mantis gave me a newfound respect for almost every other roller coaster ever.

I rode this year after not riding it since like '98? to me, it just seemed the same as i've always remembered it. maybe it's because i ride pretty much all non vest B&M's with my head sticking out so they never really bother me.

I rode Riddler last summer, and it was running fairly well. This was a huge step up from when I rode in 2012, then it was very rough in the back row. However, neither time was as good as when I rode Mantis in 2011. When I rode Mantis that year, it was running very well. It seemed very fast, and smooth. My ride on Mantis in 2009 was quite rough, but my ride in 2011 was not only the best ride I ever had on Mantis, but the best I ever had on any standup ever.

So, across the board, I have found rides on both standups to vary quite a bit. However, Mantis will win out as the better coaster when it gets the new trains.

I wonder what SFMM will go with to make their 20th Coaster? At first I was thinking a wingrider, but as others have pointed out that would not make sense with X2 in the Park. The same goes with the new 4th demension from S&S Worldwide. So, perhaps a giga or maybe an Intamin prefab?

I wonder what SFMM will go with to make their 20th Coaster? At first I was thinking a wingrider, but as others have pointed out that would not make sense with X2 in the Park. The same goes with the new 4th demension from S&S Worldwide. So, perhaps a giga or maybe an Intamin prefab?

a new family/kiddie coaster.

^ lol I can certainly see your point, but one would think that their 20th Coaster would be one of significance? Im going to lean toward a Giga. There is not one on the west coast. But of course it's purely speculation.

^Considering the company's recent spending habits, I'm guessing a giga is out of the question. Even a wing coaster similar to X-Flight would probably be a bit of a stretch. My guess would be a Eurofighter or similar if going for a thrill coaster, though a family coaster (possibly second-hand) is probably more likely. I may be completely wrong, but I honestly think the park and chain would care more about promoting 20 coasters than making the 20th a specifically notable ride.

^Considering the company's recent spending habits, I'm guessing a giga is out of the question. Even a wing coaster similar to X-Flight would probably be a bit of a stretch. My guess would be a Eurofighter or similar if going for a thrill coaster, though a family coaster (possibly second-hand) is probably more likely. I may be completely wrong, but I honestly think the park and chain would care more about promoting 20 coasters than making the 20th a specifically notable ride.

If we're going with spending habits, then I think that they're more likely to grab a super looper and call that their 20th.

But in all seriousness, Magic Mountain always likes to break some sort of "record" whenever it pushes out a big coaster, so it wouldn't surprise me if they actually did go all-out on some new, record-breaking design. They still got an open spot where Deja-Vu used to be, so if they don't put in a Battle for Metropolis right there, then I could see the station for whatever big coaster will come next be right there.

... or they could just staple it on to Superman.

^Not going to happen as long as Six Flags maintains their new attraction at every park every year policy.

If we're going with spending habits, then I think that they're more likely to grab a super looper and call that their 20th.

Yeah, that's entirely possible as well, though I have a feeling a super loop might be a little harder to sell at SFMM than some other parks. That said, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the park got a super loop in 2016, Justice League in 2017, and a legitimate new coaster in 2018 and promoted 20th coaster twice.

^I think considering a ride like X-Flight a bit of a stretch is too much, no? Come on! That's a "small" ride! (or is SFMM really that low?)

Well, X-Flight was in the $12-15 million range and SFMM's recent major additions have been in the $6-10 million range, so I'll let you make the call. I will say that Six Flags corporate seems pretty reluctant to spend more than $10 million on any park in a given year and has said that $20+ million coasters are a thing of the past.

^I think considering a ride like X-Flight a bit of a stretch is too much, no? Come on! That's a "small" ride! (or is SFMM really that low?)

Well, X-Flight was in the $12-15 million range and SFMM's recent major additions have been in the $6-10 million range, so I'll let you make the call. I will say that Six Flags corporate seems pretty reluctant to spend more than $10 million on any park in a given year and has said that $20+ million coasters are a thing of the past.

Yeah, that's right. Of course you can get good cheap coasters but once in a while (and given that they like records, even though gimmicky) you'll have to spend a bit more. I think this behaviour of theirs is fairly silly.