TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

People keep saying the ride was shortened, but has it really? Sure, the total track was cut down, but you could never ride more than 4,300ft at one time anyway. So in that sense the hasn't been shortened at all.

Both sides of Colossus = 8,650 feet. Both sides of Twisted Colossus = 4,990 feet. With two lift hills the ride could have been much longer. Or if they kept the two sides separate you could've ended up with two average-sized RMCs.

Right, but other than the lift hills, you're not getting one piece of dead track on this new ride, that wasn't close to being the case on that 8,600ft version. It's a trade off, and Imo, a good one.

Besides, as I said before, on the old Colossus, you could only ride one side at a time, so the total track length is irrelevant when comparing to TC.

Edited by Manic Monte

i haven't ridden goldstriker but i'd almost think california screamin has more airtime i'd like.

How can you make a comparison like that without having ridden the coaster in said comparison?

Yeah exactly. So then the comparison is not valid because it's based on nothing.

That's funny......

"I have not ridden it but it does not have as much airtime as X coaster".....

Lol oh brother.

i haven't ridden goldstriker but i'd almost think california screamin has more airtime i'd like.

How can you make a comparison like that without having ridden the coaster in said comparison?

Yeah exactly. So then the comparison is not valid because it's based on nothing.

That's funny......

"I have not ridden it but it does not have as much airtime as X coaster".....

Lol oh brother.

It's ridiculous posts like those that remind me what thread I'm in. LOL!

because the hair didn't impress me? and from people i've talked to? yes, i'm judging by videos. but also read my comment, "i'd like" i like big ejector air. not that california screamin really has that so much. i like sfmm goliath, but hate the slow down at the top. i'd rather be flung over like, MF, SFGA Goliath/Raging Bull, etc.

so anyway, i'll ride gold striker some day, then i'll know for sure if i think it's an hair time machine.

Right, but other than the lift hills, you're not getting one piece of dead track on this new ride, that wasn't close to being the case on that 8,600ft version. It's a trade off, and Imo, a good one.

Could've made a longer ride that still didn't have any dead space.

Besides, as I said before, on the old Colossus, you could only ride one side at a time, so the total track length is irrelevant when comparing to TC.

It's not irrelevant because it demonstrates how much of the structure they're bulldozing, that could've been used for more ride. Almost half the ride is straight-up being demolished. Every other RMC remake has used almost the entire original footprint, and if they'd done that here, then either they could've kept it a normal racing coaster, where you get one continuous experience with no lift hill in the middle, or they could've combined the tracks and made it one of the longest coasters in the world.

It's still going to be a huge improvement, no question. Obviously better than not doing the refurb at all. Just trying to clarify the issue a little for you.

Edited by neil009

Actually. Both Texas Giant and the Rattler were shortened. With Rattler loosing quite a bit more than giant.

Remember that colossus had three very slow turnarounds but this new coaster will fly. Without increasing the lift drastically, you wouldn't have enough kinetic energy to perform all of the maneuvers and retain the speed

From the video, it looks like this ride will fly thru the layout. And it looks fantastic!

Actually. Both Texas Giant and the Rattler were shortened. With Rattler loosing quite a bit more than giant.

Shortened yes, but not so drastically. Rattler lost a lot just by losing that ridiculous never-ending helix, but it still occupies the same space that the helix occupied. It's not like a whole section of the original layout is just missing.

Remember that colossus had three very slow turnarounds but this new coaster will fly. Without increasing the lift drastically, you wouldn't have enough kinetic energy to perform all of the maneuvers and retain the speed

From the video, it looks like this ride will fly thru the layout. And it looks fantastic!

Also notice the train flying over halfway up the second lift hill. Lots of speed not being used.

^I highly doubt the decision of ride length was left up to RMC. SF just cheaped out, they got their inversions and new elements to market the ride and spent half as much as if they'd used the entire layout. Same reason Full Throttle has nothing to the layout but a launch to get it through the loop and a launch to get it back to the station.

I hate sounding so negative, I do think it's going to be a great ride. I just feel like we need to give a nod to reality here.

^ Your reality though, because I'm not hearing these criticisms from anyone else, and most of us were quite critical of FT only to go on and enjoy it.

As Robb has said, this ride is going to be so much better than what was there, it makes no sense to me to continually complain that the most boring parts of the old ride are missing, all while giving a free pass to Rattler which did the same thing.

What I am hearing is how it could have been more, when in all reality every coaster could have more. Fury 325 could have more snappy twists, Maverick could have kept the barrel roll, B&M could add more airtime, and a Wacky Worm could be taller. What matters is if what they have for the coaster works as a whole.

What I don't get is they actually HAVE kept most of the structure that was used, the thing is TC doesn't go through any of the turns again, and the small hills near the end of Colossus is all the structure they are chopping off, which to me is completely fine. The only real difference is instead of having two separate coasters go around the structure twice while losing momentum, this is one coaster that goes around the structure twice while keeping the momentum strong with two lifts. The pacing might be off with two lifts, but at least your getting a hauling-a$$ part 2 instead of the ride still going and you wishing the ride would just end already because you're bored.

^That's definitely another way to look at it, though I still suspect they could have kept up the pacing and intensity while still keeping it a double out-and-back (errr quadruple out-and-back?). But on the bright side, another thing no one's pointed out is if you really fly up the second lift like it shows in the video, it probably won't be nearly as much of a pace killer as it might seem (you'll be halfway up it before you even slow down). Assuming they don't slow the top of it way down for dueling purposes. No way to know till it opens.

Not to get off topic but yesterday I found the worlds worst invention while exiting Apocalypse, Croc Bags. Yes, bags that look like and are made from the same materials as Crocs. I don't even.

[attachment=0]Lg g2 676.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=1]Lg g2 677.jpg[/attachment]

The bags are the same colors as the tracks for tc lol

Rattler lost a lot just by losing that ridiculous never-ending helix, but it still occupies the same space that the helix occupied. It's not like a whole section of the original layout is just missing.

Actually, it is missing a whole section from the original ride, as is Texas Giant.

Could've made a longer ride that still didn't have any dead space.

Alright Mr. Engineer, please do the math and re-design this sucker for us.

I just feel like we need to give a nod to reality here.

Your reality

not hearing these criticisms from anyone else

I hate sounding so negative, I do think it's going to be a great ride.

If you think it's going to be a great ride, then why are you bitching about it? Who cares if it could have been longer? The parts they cut out where basically dead spaces in the original ride and they probably couldn't do anything innovative with the structure that those elements utilized. Personally, I'm amazed they were able to take this 1970's layout, and turn into something that is very modern and innovative. The same goes with Wicked Cyclone.

Edited by ZeroGravity55

The dueling aspect makes the 2 lifts design worthwhile. Otherwise still interesting but not quite as good as their single lift designs.

If your train gets to the second lift, and the next train hasn't dispatched, will you stop on the lift and wait? Maybe it will "skip" and let you go on through, but then make the next train wait to try so it has a chance to get a duel. In other words, there will never be 2 trains on the track running out of sync, they will be in sync (or close) or only one train on the track. And typically when a "skip" occurs it will still duel for the first or second half, just not both.

Something I dont think many people here understand is cost. Ideally, businesses want to get the most for less. The designer drafts several layout ideas, and then they discuss the options with the client. What's the best, optimal solution? What's the most marketable?

More likely than not, there probably were older drafts that took up the entire original layout. They were probably more expensive. Think Texas Giant - they cut out the helix, and no excitement was really lost from the ride.

If you think it's going to be a great ride, then why are you bitching about it? Who cares if it could have been longer? The parts they cut out where basically dead spaces in the original ride and they probably couldn't do anything innovative with the structure that those elements utilized. Personally, I'm amazed they were able to take this 1970's layout, and turn into something that is very modern and innovative. The same goes with Wicked Cyclone.

I'm only responding because you asked me a question, so I'll answer it. I care. And if you think I'm the only one who's pointed this out then you haven't been reading very carefully. There was a lot of dead space in the track they DID utilize, nothing about the track getting bulldozed would've made it harder to use.

I find it interesting that this thread for a long time has been the most concentrated source of Six Flags bashing on the entire forum. Now we're seeing a project with obvious squandered potential and, for some reason, most people seem to be willing to give them a pass. It is in fact possible to like what you're getting and be happy, AND recognize that it could've been so much more. It's not an either/or.

EDIT: Although most people are also being very pessimistic about the operations of this ride. I guess that's where the SF bashing comes back in.

One thing I've learned in my years on the internet is no matter how amazing something is, there will not only still be whiners, but they'll usually still be the vocal majority.

We should consider ourselves lucky that there are only a few like that in this thread