TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

He's a friend of Tim Burkhart, so I imagine that if he has the financial ability to purchase more stuff he is still doing so. I'll have to take The Old Road next time I visit the park and see if anything looks new.

Just for clarification:

Namtab and Sussoloc are opening Mar. 22nd with Sky Tower and the water rides and the sports bar.

The kiddie coaster is set to open sometime in June. So a long time away.

They ALWAYS use the old maps to get rid of them before they put out the new ones. Around March the start phasing out the old ones and putting out the new ones so you'll usually have to look for the new ones for the first couple of weeks they are out before the old ones run out.

Oh yeah, and the old Steam Train is for sale! Just look it up!

Edited by SFMMGeek27

I sometimes think people just find reasons to hate on SFMM.

I have to agree. I know this is only my personal opinion based on my own experience, but I traveled to LA to visit SFMM last July all the way from Philadelphia and I have to say I have very few poor things to say about MM. We had a GREAT time with decent ride operators overall, minimal wait times, and actually decent food. People go to SFMM for the roller coasters.

I second this. I had a great time when I was there in 2012. The only two complaints I would have had was the lack of atmosphere in the DC Comics area and the fact that only 1 of 3 water rides was operating.Then again, my visit was in late November...

Overall operations were good except for Riddler's Revenge and Green Lantern, and all coasters and flat rides were operating. Goliath, Scream!, Apocalypse, Colossus, Batman, X2, Tatsu and Viper were all running two trains. The park was clean and well maintained, and the staff were very friendly and helpful.

I'm noticing that you and the people who agree with you are all from places other than California. I'm from New York and the 2 times I've been to SFMM I've loved it too, but my guess is that's because I don't live near the park and haven't had time to notice all of the problems. If you are visiting from far away you're too busy running around (probably with a flash pass) riding all of the coasters to notice much else. You also wouldn't know the park well enough to compare it to what it was like in previous years (hey remember when there used to be a tilt a whirl here, and a monorail, and a skyride... and now there's just smoking areas and abandoned stations?).

EastCoastKid kind of proved my point by complaining about Great Adventure (which is one of my home parks too). Great Adventure is the best Six Flags park I've ever been to, but because it's my home park there are things about it that bother me because I know the history of the park. The fact that they closed down Old Town and have left a rotting Music Express there for years bothers me, the fact that all of the signs in Nitro's queue and on the lift are gone bothers me, the fact that they have 4 loading stations for Kingda Ka and never use more than one station bothers me and the fact that Golden Kingdom is 2 separate areas that aren't connected to eachother at all bothers me... but if I were from California visiting for the first time I probably wouldn't notice these things. In the case of KK's loading station I wouldn't know that it was permanent so I wouldn't care. I'd be too busy using my platinum flash pass and running around to get all of the credits to notice small details like that. I think that's what's going on when we visit Magic Mountain.

You may be right in the fact that people are being too hard on SFMM (though that's not really up to people from all the way across the country to judge), but when you live near it it's hard to avoid it sometimes. I always try to look at Great Adventure objectively and because of that I really like the park. Then again, we have El Toro... and when you have El Toro it's easy to overlook the rest of the park.

I'm noticing that you and the people who agree with you are all from places other than California. I'm from New York and the 2 times I've been to SFMM I've loved it too, but my guess is that's because I don't live near the park and haven't had time to notice all of the problems. If you are visiting from far away you're too busy running around (probably with a flash pass) riding all of the coasters to notice much else. You also wouldn't know the park well enough to compare it to what it was like in previous years (hey remember when there used to be a tilt a whirl here, and a monorail, and a skyride... and now there's just smoking areas and abandoned stations?).

EastCoastKid kind of proved my point by complaining about Great Adventure (which is one of my home parks too). Great Adventure is the best Six Flags park I've ever been to, but because it's my home park there are things about it that bother me because I know the history of the park. The fact that they closed down Old Town and have left a rotting Music Express there for years bothers me, the fact that all of the signs in Nitro's queue and on the lift are gone bothers me, the fact that they have 4 loading stations for Kingda Ka and never use more than one station bothers me and the fact that Golden Kingdom is 2 separate areas that aren't connected to eachother at all bothers me... but if I were from California visiting for the first time I probably wouldn't notice these things. In the case of KK's loading station I wouldn't know that it was permanent so I wouldn't care. I'd be too busy using my platinum flash pass and running around to get all of the credits to notice small details like that. I think that's what's going on when we visit Magic Mountain.

You may be right in the fact that people are being too hard on SFMM (though that's not really up to people from all the way across the country to judge), but when you live near it it's hard to avoid it sometimes. I always try to look at Great Adventure objectively and because of that I really like the park. Then again, we have El Toro... and when you have El Toro it's easy to overlook the rest of the park.

I agree with this, when I went to Great Adventure last year for the first time, I really didn't see many problems and enjoyed the park. When I first starting going to Magic Mountain, I was more focused on just getting all of the credits, though when I had the park as a home park, the issues of the park were becoming much more blatant. (Sorry, if I'm just reiterating coasterbill's post, it's just that I have experienced all of this.)

Actually I didn't notice the bad part about SFMM except for Revolution's OTSR. Before then I had zero experience to compare SFMM with any park I've been to. SFMM was the best park I've ever visited until SFFT, then SDC, then SFGAm, then CP... And after reading about Apocalypse was treated badly, loading is as slow as hell, Colossus hasn't race for years, park gets very dirty. I started to remember about the details during my visit so SFMM's good impression faded away.

In years past I went to SFMM in February and the park maps were the previous year, so nothing new. It's only annoying when they've added a new ride since then and it's not on the park map (not really the case here).

On another note, looking at the recent park updates posted, wow that was a crowded February day! That looked more crowded then during WCB last September. I don't think I've seen I full queue for Ninja or Revolution since I went with Friday Night Live in HS in 1999. Being Presidents Day weekend with sunny, warm weather probably didn't help alleviate the crowds. This weekend should have much lighter crowds though with rain expected throughout CA (finally!).

The problem with SFMM's business model is the majority of its guests are local. There is a large portion of guests who excuse all the things we notice because all they care about is the coasters, but we already saw what the problem can be from that: investing $10-20 mil/year on coasters and pushing cheap annual passes eventually catches up to the business.

Speedy Gonzalez and the YOLO Sportsbar are smart ways to TRY and combat this, but ultimately all the little things still add up and drive business elsewhere.

hey there, I am new here, and I've got a question.

Last summer I went to six flags magic mountain and universal studios hollywood and took some photos.

Is it possible to upload these photos (like a trip report)?

regards gardyloo!

Last summer I went to six flags magic mountain and universal studios hollywood and took some photos.

regards gardyloo!

Welcome to TPR! Sure you can make a trip report. You can attach multiple photos on your TR and upload videos as well. Starting a new thread would be great. Can't wait to read your TR!

Here is a great example on how to make an amazing SFMM TR

regards gardyloo!

Welcome to TPR! Sure you can make a trip report. You can attach multiple photos on your TR and upload videos as well. Starting a new thread would be great. Can't wait to read your TR!

Here is a great example on how to make an amazing SFMM TR

THANK YOU!!!!

BTW great SFMM TR!

Anyone planning on visiting the park this weekend should think again. It's pouring rain and will be all weekend. The park won't even open in this weather.

SFMM just tweeted that they will not open on Sat

I'm all rebooked for next Saturday

I'd be curious to hear experiences when it comes to dealing with the park on a day they closed for weather. I would *HOPE* they did the right thing for the guests they inconvenienced.

^If the park is open during the day before it's closed, the park will give out comp tickets. If the park isn't opening at all, they do nothing. If you're one of the 10 people crazy enough to still visit in this weather, then there's nothing they can do since the tickets are valid for the rest of the 2014 season.

The park will be open on Sunday. I'm going Sunday the 9th for an update.

^There's never "nothing they can do." I was just curious if they actually do try to go the extra mile for those who purchased tickets they may not be able to use at all or not again until much later in the year.

^There's never "nothing they can do." I was just curious if they actually do try to go the extra mile for those who purchased tickets they may not be able to use at all or not again until much later in the year.

No, because there's no way for them to tell if the tickets were bought for that day or not. They aren't dated, so yeah.