TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

And an Ice Queen sighting! That's rare. Probably the most likely place to find her though. In Superman's Ice Fortress! Also a ride that operates rarely! Shall I go on?

Can someone explain to me who this Ice Queen is? "A person of some importance"? Any relation to Ice Bat?

She is the president of Magic Mountain - the head honcho who took over for Jay Thomas when he moved to Dallas corporate. She was at the podium at the reopening of Superman several years ago when I was present. That podium was made of ice and was melting in the sun that morning. IMO, her personality is icy too. She rarely (if ever) speaks to guests and employees for that matter. Just the "polar opposite" of Jay. I'm really not sure if that is her in the picture. It's hard to tell.

Bummer, I hope she has some good qualities? Jay Thomas is a great guy, he was the supervisor of my supervisor when I was an intern at SFOT waaaay back in 1995. The next time I saw him was at SFKK in 2007, about an hour before "the accident." He was wearing a tie by then, but hadn't lost his Texas charm (as in being truly interested in what a guest has to say).

Was "the accident" when the girl's feet got cut off on the drop tower?

I just took the survey, the question was something like, what type of ride would you like to see Magic Mountain get? My response was:

A roller coaster with airtime. We will have 34+ inversions in the park by the time Full Throttle opens, that is at least 12 more than any other theme park in the world. Now, I get that the general public can eat up inversions, but there is one key element of roller coasters that Magic Mountain is desperately missing, AIRTIME! The top-ranked and most-loved coasters in the world have consistently focused on airtime, look at Bizarro at SFNE, New Texas Giant at SFOT, Iron Rattler at SFFT, they all (will) have insane airtime, we NEED that! Now, a possible solution, a COLOSSAL refurbishment of a great classic coaster, let's bring in Rocky Mountain Construction for a full I-Box makeover of Colossus (like New Texas Giant and Iron Rattler) and market it as a regeneration of a classic coaster, that now focuses on an intense airtime-filled ride! Bring Colossus back to former glory. This would completely round out Magic Mountains coaster selection, and keep SFMM the number 1 coaster theme park in the world!!!

Thanks!

And an Ice Queen sighting! That's rare. Probably the most likely place to find her though. In Superman's Ice Fortress! Also a ride that operates rarely! Shall I go on?

Can someone explain to me who this Ice Queen is? "A person of some importance"? Any relation to Ice Bat?

She is the president of Magic Mountain - the head honcho who took over for Jay Thomas when he moved to Dallas corporate. She was at the podium at the reopening of Superman several years ago when I was present. That podium was made of ice and was melting in the sun that morning. IMO, her personality is icy too. She rarely (if ever) speaks to guests and employees for that matter. Just the "polar opposite" of Jay. I'm really not sure if that is her in the picture. It's hard to tell.

Bummer, I hope she has some good qualities? Jay Thomas is a great guy, he was the supervisor of my supervisor when I was an intern at SFOT waaaay back in 1995. The next time I saw him was at SFKK in 2007, about an hour before "the accident." He was wearing a tie by then, but hadn't lost his Texas charm (as in being truly interested in what a guest has to say).

I've yet to observe any of her good qualities as a guest at the park. I've posted these comments about Jay before. He was extraordinary, always smiling and ready to talk to you. Many times he would start the conversation with you. My observations of Bonnie - aka Ice Queen, are the complete opposite. I don't even see her speaking to here employees. Rarely, will you see her at the front gate at opening. Jay was ever present there.

Both myself and the park definitely miss Jay's leadership at Magic Mountain.

Both myself and the park definitely miss Jay's leadership at Magic Mountain.

Seconded! I went to SFMM in 2009 after not having visited last since 2005. I was extremely impressed with how well everything was running (at least compared to 2005), how friendly the employees were, and how clean the park looked. Again, this was compared to 2005, but I went in with low expectations and walked out of the park at the end of the day very satisfied. I made a point to upgrade to a season pass that day because I enjoyed the park so much, and I've had a season pass each year since then. I tried to give Bonnie the benefit of the doubt when it was announced that Jay was leaving and that she was taking over, but sadly things have declined quite a bit. I'm sure she's a nice person, but just not a good park president.

Jay Thomas was a leader by example and by deed. It wasn't unusual at all to see him walking the park with a litter grabber, or serving food, or conducting his own guest satisfaction surveys, etc. it's a lot easier to believe in a leader when they walk the talk.

I just took the survey, the question was something like, what type of ride would you like to see Magic Mountain get? My response was:

A roller coaster with airtime. We will have 34+ inversions in the park by the time YOLOcoaster opens, that is at least 12 more than any other theme park in the world.

Thanks!

so it was a free response? I was expecting a multiple choice type survey

Jay Thomas was a leader by example and by deed. It wasn't unusual at all to see him walking the park with a litter grabber, or serving food, or conducting his own guest satisfaction surveys, etc. it's a lot easier to believe in a leader when they walk the talk.

I'm in total agreement with you. Jay was one of a kind! More importantly, he was and is a people person in a people business.

A roller coaster with airtime. We will have 34+ inversions in the park by the time YOLOcoaster opens, that is at least 12 more than any other theme park in the world. Now, I get that the general public can eat up inversions, but there is one key element of roller coasters that Magic Mountain is desperately missing, AIRTIME! The top-ranked and most-loved coasters in the world have consistently focused on airtime, look at Bizarro at SFNE, New Texas Giant at SFOT, Iron Rattler at SFFT, they all (will) have insane airtime, we NEED that! Now, a possible solution, a COLOSSAL refurbishment of a great classic coaster, let's bring in Rocky Mountain Construction for a full I-Box makeover of Colossus (like New Texas Giant and Iron Rattler) and market it as a regeneration of a classic coaster, that now focuses on an intense airtime-filled ride! Bring Colossus back to former glory. This would completely round out Magic Mountains coaster selection, and keep SFMM the number 1 coaster theme park in the world!!!

Thanks!

The trick to a SFMM survey is to request airtime while coming off as the GP. Once they can smell the enthusiast stench they just stop reading, like I did.

A roller coaster with airtime. We will have 34+ inversions in the park by the time YOLOcoaster opens, that is at least 12 more than any other theme park in the world. Now, I get that the general public can eat up inversions, but there is one key element of roller coasters that Magic Mountain is desperately missing, AIRTIME! The top-ranked and most-loved coasters in the world have consistently focused on airtime, look at Bizarro at SFNE, New Texas Giant at SFOT, Iron Rattler at SFFT, they all (will) have insane airtime, we NEED that! Now, a possible solution, a COLOSSAL refurbishment of a great classic coaster, let's bring in Rocky Mountain Construction for a full I-Box makeover of Colossus (like New Texas Giant and Iron Rattler) and market it as a regeneration of a classic coaster, that now focuses on an intense airtime-filled ride! Bring Colossus back to former glory. This would completely round out Magic Mountains coaster selection, and keep SFMM the number 1 coaster theme park in the world!!!

Thanks!

The trick to a SFMM survey is to request airtime while coming off as the GP. Once they can smell the enthusiast stench they just stop reading, like I did.

Yeah, I'm sure the survey person just hit "delete" - you need to say stuff like "A really crazy, out of control MOFO ride that makes you feel like you're gonna fly out of your seat!!! YOLOLOLOL!!!!"

The moment you mention anything like "airtime" or talk about rides at other parks, they instantly know you're not their core demographic.

Edited by robbalvey

Those new lockers look like the ones they have at Kings Island and Cedar Point, and I liked those better than the SmartCarte ones Six Flags had.

As for the ride survey, it might have varied by park, but I took the SFOG one today and while there was a spot where you could give them your comments, the majority was about a specific ride concept they were considering (which they asked you not share on other websites).

"A really crazy, out of control MOFO ride that makes you feel like you're gonna fly out of your seat!!! YOLOLOLOL!!!!"

That is so amazingly perfect that I would like to request your permission to copy and paste it into the next survey I receive.

SF has fired Smarte Carte and hired a new fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo company apparently according to the coaster guy

They actually look pretty nice and high tech (well for a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo that is)

My understanding is that this company just undercut SmartCarte and gave Six Flags an offer they couldn't refuse. But from what I was told, this company is giving away too much to Six Flags for them to be able to make any money off of it. I believe that the new company is still responsible for servicing the lockers like SmartCarte was, so after factoring in the cost of labor and maintenance, at the rate they are giving Six Flags (I've heard as much as 70% of the revenue) there really isn't much room left for them to profit.

I'm in total agreement with you. Jay was one of a kind! More importantly, he was and is a people person in a people business.

Regarding Jay Thomas, I think it was very clear that people in the park did not buy into what he was selling. After the initial upswing in guest service and operation that we all noticed, it seemed like after a year under his tenure it was back to more of the same.

Edited by robbalvey

Any relation to Ice Bat?

If he was related to her, my bet is he would have disowned her by now.

I know nothing about the current president of SFMM, but Ice Bat would certainly be tolerating zero nonsense. Tatsu employees would fear his "Employee Motivational Shark Pit", which would certainly cut down on the five minute plus dispatch times.

I say we oust her and let Ice Bat run the show...he would straighten out that park, by golly!

He would change the name to "Ice Bat's Park Of Difficult Situations & Dire Consequences". Guest satisfaction would not possibly be any worse than it is now.

dt

What I'm getting about the Bonnie is that she is kind of "LA," while Jay is more southern/Texan (much easier to warm up to, outwardly friendly). Spending time in both places, they surely are completely different worlds. Jay is a very special guy, we have a few of those in the industry. Didn't Bonnie used to work at Magic Mountain years ago as well? Or was it another big park?

What I'm getting about the Bonnie is that she is kind of "LA," while Jay is more southern/Texan (much easier to warm up to, outwardly friendly). Spending time in both places, they surely are completely different worlds. Jay is a very special guy, we have a few of those in the industry. Didn't Bonnie used to work at Magic Mountain years ago as well? Or was it another big park?

Yes, from what I've been told Bonnie has been at MM for sometime now. I really think the difference is Jay is a people person and she isn't. It's as simple as that. The thing to consider is they are in the "people" business.