TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

The trains look great! Simple is good. Eeeeks! to the fencing. I wouldn't say it's Magic Mountain's fault; we live in a society where people are doing dumber and dumber things, then turn around and sue for it. I figure the park is just covering their backs, doing what they have to do.

Those metal... arm guards?... on the sides feel like they take away the potential freedom you could feel in these trains. I noticed there are black ones on S:UF at Discovery Kingdom. Anybody have any thoughts on these? I haven't ridden in a train like this so I wouldn't know.

How long do you think till OTSR are added?
With these restraints, never; they work really well. These are the same restraints and almost if not completely identical trains as SUF, and if you can do SUF and hang by your knees with no OTSRs, you can do pretty much anything without them. It's hard to see in these photos but it's not just a lap restraint, theres a second part that locks your legs in below the knee.

I think we're looking at a future where (at least on sit-down coasters, flyers/wing riders/4D are different) these restraints will be the standard and we don't have to deal with OTSRs anymore. I just hope there's sufficient demand to retrofit existing coasters, starting with Revolution (which doesnt even need better restraints).

I like the look of the trains, but whats with the fence around the track in superman plaza? Shouldn't it at least be blue? And shouldn't the light thing be moved out? The way they need that looks extremely tacky and ugly. If I ran MM that in no way would've been allowed.

I like the look of the trains, but whats with the fence around the track in superman plaza? Shouldn't it at least be blue? And shouldn't the light thing be moved out? The way they need that looks extremely tacky and ugly. If I ran MM that in no way would've been allowed.

Yeah, well...

Those metal... arm guards?... on the sides feel like they take away the potential freedom you could feel in these trains. I noticed there are black ones on S:UF at Discovery Kingdom. Anybody have any thoughts on these? I haven't ridden in a train like this so I wouldn't know.

Honestly, the wings don't really restrict anything...only nuisance they cause is catching your shirt on the corner of it, or banging your arm on the corner as you board the train.

^The DK ones were just plastic. Actually last time I rode it (SFDK opening day 2013) the wings had cracked a bit due to them being semi brittle and the fact that clumsy people (like myself sometimes) bump into them. The sharp corners suck too...I'm good at bumping into corners of objects

Perhaps they are not finished? Knowing SFMM, they probably are, but I don't think it is fair to judge them yet.

As far as the chain link fence for the tunnel, I believe there are standards on ride track fencing that they have to follow.

Really? Is this a California specific guideline? Thinking of Cedar Point, Wicked Twister (http://www.coaster-net.com/pictures/cedar-point/wicked-twister-pQYo.jpg), Top Thrill Dragster (http://s435.photobucket.com/user/sukisays88/media/favdragpic.jpg.html), and Maverick (http://farm2.staticflickr.com/1001/1404549017_17cf65bde5_z.jpg) each has a more tasteful fence for its low areas.

I understand the need for a fence, but the tunnel fence looks like the ugliest and cheapest fence they could have possibly picked! I just hate to see that beautiful area of the park look like a permanent construction zone.

Fences are cosmetic and honestly it is SFMM so I wasn't expecting world class. I do really like the modern very sleek looking trains though. Really curious to how the site will look once all the construction equipment is cleared out and a final product with hopefully new grass, plants and trees.

Haha your post cracked me up! At least the fenced-in area will have plenty of light!