Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 439 - Firechaser Express Media Day Coverage!
Users viewing this topic: Gmaster562 and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Re: Dollywood Discussion Thread

Postby Tanks4me05 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:05 pm

^They look almost the same as the flyer restraints (at least what comes in contact with the body.) Since I've been on two B&M flyers, I'm going to assume on the side of very comfortable.

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby willh51 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:08 pm

I meant more in terms of accommodating to larger guests since Raptor is apparently a tight squeeze. But I concur that the flyer-type restraints are very comfy.
1. Intimidator 305 2. Maverick 3. Bizarro at SFNE 4. Millennium Force 5. Raptor
6. Batman & Robin: The Chiller (defunct) 7. Nitro 8. Apollo's Chariot 9. Afterburn (Carowinds) 10. Lightning Racer

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby SuperShawn » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:12 am

^ we did see a fair amount of heavier people struggling to fit yesterday, which i want to say was the only cause for stacking so major props to the operators again! And there is a big boy seat in the 4 th row available on the left side at least.

The restraints themselves are quite comfy and have been changed to not "click" down like prior b&m restraint systems and Instead are silent when you pull them down. however it seems the padded vest portion locks in place once leaving the station and has little to no give and would tighten through the ride and would end up hurting my collar bone and being a bt uncomfortable in the break run, this happened to my friend as well on all 3 of his rides. Could just need some breaking in though ;)

Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/c384756574a7ab5c95bfd6eff2bddfe6.jpg[/img][/url]

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby coasterbear30 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:01 am

I was there yesterday for media day as well and had a great ride on Wild Eagle. We only got to ride once because as soon as we got back out the line was already way too long to wait for another ride. My review of the ride? We sat in the back seat on the right side. I had the inside seat. The first drop was great and like Ernie, it kind of took my breath (it gave me that drop feeling, I assume this is because you are sitting beside the track-where the heartline is different, instead of on top of it.) After that the inversions come in such quick succession that you don't really know which end is up. It is very smooth as expected and there are some forces in the last turn before the brakes. If you are looking for a super thrilling OMG ride then this is not it, but I still loved it. It is a unique experience for those that have not ridden a wing rider or 4D coaster. I think it is a great addition to Dollywood and Pete, Brian and Ashley did an awesome job with media day. Thank you guys so much for everything. Oh and the pizza was the most ridiculously large pizza slice I have ever seen!

After our ride on WE, we headed over to TT and got the first 2 rides of the season on that. MM was down because the train was stuck in the last inversion so we headed over to Thunderhead and got two awesome rides in the rain! I love Thunderhead. Front seat rides in the rain, cold or night are amazeballs!!!

^Btw, nice to meet you Shawn and I saw you Ernie but didn't get a cance to say hi.

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby coasterfreaky » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:19 am

I loved it. It has all the great things that B&M's have, speed, power, force, smoothness...i'm still trying to process it all. I rented the Qbot and i was able to get three rides in. First ride was in the back seat on the right hand side, Second ride was on the first row on the right hand side and the Third ride was on the 2nd row on the left hand side. I seemed to like the left hand side more, especially through the zero-g roll.

The seats were very comfortable, restraints were not an issue for me. One of my friends said he felt the shoulder harness squeezed his shoulders a bit much. Lift is super fast, the overall pacing of the ride is incredible. Zero-g feels really drawn out b/c of the wing style...i loved it. Loved the camel back and the figure 8 was very surprising. Even though it was going fast, at a couple points it felt like someone stepped on the gas peddle...very interesting. I also liked how the trees around the coaster are cut just enough to allow clearance...you are literally flying through the trees...i loved that too. To me, this feels more like a flying coaster than do the 'flying coasters' like Superman at SFOG and crappy Vekoma flyers.

I know i shouldn't compare this to anything...it's not comparable given the surroundings/views, but the the ride feels like if Diamondback and Griffon had a baby, it might be Wild Eagle :)

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:30 am

Sounds like Wild Eagle is just an all-around fun ride. Glad to hear. Hopefully I'll be able to make it down to Dollywood this summer and try everything out.
Check out my portfolio on Carbonmade! January 29 - new update!
I wrote the book about NoLimits. Check it out on Amazon!
Like the Penn State Theme Park Engineering Group on Facebook!

Postby ernierocker » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:01 pm

coasterfreaky wrote: I rented the Qbot and i was able to get three rides in.

Just curious, how did they have the Qbot setup with that ride? Like where did it enter and merge with the regular line? That was a question I kept forgetting to ask during the tours but it is great to hear that they already have it setup for Wild Eagle!

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby giga2kcoaster » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:17 pm

Can I just say that I can't wait to visit Dollywood and ride this?!?!
Giga2kCoaster

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby coasterfreaky » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:34 pm

^^Here is a picture of the qbot merge point. This is under the station, at the back. Qbotters enter on the left side, everyone else on the right side. There is a crew member at that point regulating all the traffic to make sure the station doesn't become a mess - seemed well executed to me.

The main Qbot entry point is on the left side of the station as you're walking towards it, all the way to the back. A crew member checks your Qbot, and then sends you to the merge point. From the merge point it is about a 20 min. wait, and longer if you want the front or back row.
IMG_5403.JPG
here is the qbot merge point inside the waiting area. the left side is the qbot entrance and the right side is the regular entrance. there's a crew member at that point regulating all traffic.
Viewed 1205 times
IMG_5396.JPG
Here's a wider shot...this is from the Exit Landing, looking towards the Back. You can see the regular line on the right side, the qbot on the left side and the crew member in the middle. The Right staircase leads to the left-hand side of the train, the left staircase leads to the Right Hand Side of the train (clear as mud?)
Viewed 1199 times

Postby ernierocker » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:09 pm

^Thanks! For the photos of the queue that I took yesterday, I was actually standing right in front of that bench along the left wall (underneath the "Never Look Back" banner in your photo). So either the signage wasn't up yesterday or I was oblivious to it. :p

We will definitely be getting Qbots then next Sunday!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!